Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Planning a trip to the Lisbon area -- need your insights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Planning a trip to the Lisbon area -- need your insights?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by swiftaw

What would you say are 'must do' things? We like good food (especially seafood), wine and beer. We are city more than country people, and I like to take photos of cityscapes.
You picked a good spot for those likes.

Spend a good amount of time wandering Alfama, just take some turns and see where they go. You'll get some incredible photo opportunities.

I would second the notion of looking at boutique hotels, you'll generally get a better location than the big chains.

I'll let you research restaurants, but lots of good food to be found there. Just stay away from any place that has a guy with a sign or menus standing outside .

I've had more wine then beer there, and suggest trying the green wine. I think it's called vinho verde, but someone can correct me. Some I tried was very good. Also try a ginjinha, which I also may have spelled wrong...

I was there once right after Christmas and was comfortable with a light jacket during the day, but it can get chilly at night. But otherwise a very nice time of the year to visit when the city is decorated and the smell of chestnuts roasting in the air.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
You say 2.5, but the dates suggest 3.5. Makes quite a difference. Which is, 2.5 or 3.5?
Sorry, it is 2.5. We leave Saturday, but of course we don't arrive till Sunday.

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Trust me, you will prefer to take transport to get to everything. Metro/tram/bus but also taxi/Uber. Much easier than dealing with traffic on your own, finding parking, or finding your way through a maze of one-way streets. Taxis and Uber are cheap and plentiful.
Sorry, I probably didn't explain myself very well. I meant I'd like to stay somewhere where there are places to eat within walking distance, so we don't have to take taxi/public transport every time we want to eat.

Thanks for the great insights.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
We are city more than country people, and I like to take photos of cityscapes.
Lisbon is, I think, a gorgeous city, and it will oblige you with the already-mentioned miradouros (viewpoints). Try the Miradouro da Santa Luzia in the Alfama for panoramic views to the river, or the Miradouro da Senhora do Monte (near a stop on the already-mentioned Tram 28) in the Graça district for castle views. And for a different angle on things, it's well worth riding at least one of the four elevadores in the city. None of these things is exactly a secret, but I just thought I'd endorse them.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:46 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Sorry, I probably didn't explain myself very well. I meant I'd like to stay somewhere where there are places to eat within walking distance, so we don't have to take taxi/public transport every time we want to eat.

Thanks for the great insights.
Pretty much anywhere in the city will be within walking distance to local restaurants as there are many pastelarias and local tascas spread out all over the city, except, maybe, in newer areas as mentioned above.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Hotel Portugal

Anyone familiar with the Hotel Portugal on
Rua João das Regras, 4?

Thinking of staying there but wondering if anyone knew anything about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.