Wiki Posts
Search

weather in Lisbon

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Smile weather in Lisbon

Hello

I'm an Erasmus student coming from Romania to Lisbon. I'll stay in Lisbon from September till February. I don't know what type of clothes should I pack: do I need rain boots or thick clothing?

Thank you!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
September to mid-November will be sunny and mostly warm, like 17-22 degrees (Celsius) each day. Not much rain.

Toward the end of November to February it will be cooler - think 12-15 degrees for the high temperature each day. It will rain more often but in the three years in which I lived in Lisbon I never wore rain boots. (In other words, it's not going to be flooded.)

I mostly wore light jackets when outerwear was required.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:35 pm

For winter, I would take a rain shell parka, sweaters and fleeces, and a light down jacket. It might rain every day for stretches in a row, but not a constant downpour, often just a light rain, and not all day. A fleece by itself is often enough part of the day. I find people take the mild climate for granted and not every home has central heat or anything but a fireplace and/or space heaters. In fact, homes and apartments built in Salazar's time, which extended into the 70's, were not allowed to be built with central heat because he didn't think the population could afford it. Keeping warm indoors is more of a problem for me.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:51 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Tizzette
Keeping warm indoors is more of a problem for me.
Agreed, Lisbon in winter for me is all about solar radiation. If you can see the sun then you are nice and warm. If you are in the shade, or indoors then don't expect ambient temperature to be particularly high.

Take a fleece to sleep in because it can be cold when you wake up.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
This will be the coldest winter you will have survived.

Typically when you arrive in August/September, it will be +30°C, and may rarely go up to +40°C. Once you take about a week to get used to it, it becomes very comfortable weather. It's very dry, so the heat is very easy to deal with. You generally won't need a jacket at any hour of the day until mid-to-end of October/early November.

Weather through about mid-to-late November will be excellent. I remember 2 years ago, I was on the beach on November 15 (although this is not very typical). Typically for visitors beach season will end about mid-October. Weather will turn sour in mid-to-late November, and usually very quickly (within about a week), and usually it won't go back to being warm.

It will start raining more often in December, and you'll have one week of foliage (falling leaves) also around that time.

By mid-December you will want to be back in Romania in your warm, centrally-heated apartment. Even though the daytime highs will not drop too much below 15°C, the problem is that most houses are extremely poorly-insulated. Temps inside and outside are very similar in the winter, so while it may only be +10°C outside, it will be +13°C inside - miserable!!!!

It will be even more miserable because the air is very humid in the winter. When temps drop to 5°C in late Dec/early Jan, it will be bone-chilling cold.

This will last through about mid-March or so (although you may get lucky in late February, depending on the year).

I would rather spend a winter in Boston, than in Lisbon, because here even though it's --15°C (or even -30°C) outside, it's super dry, and it's warm once you get inside.

When looking for a room/apartment - a few things to look for:
-Double glazed windows
-Not-too-high ceilings (it's great in the summer, but sucks in the winter). You won't be able to heat the space.
-Make sure the windows close and there are no gaps.
-Heating/Aircon (either is very rare, especially in rented places)

The last place I rented was built in the 18th century after the quake of 1755 (refurbished recently), had meter-thick walls, new windows and was easy to heat. The two places below (one from the mid-70s, one from the late-80s) were both very difficult to keep warm.

Last edited by Palal; Jul 10, 2014 at 10:36 pm
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
It will rain more often but in the three years in which I lived in Lisbon I never wore rain boots. (In other words, it's not going to be flooded.)
Actually, Lisbon streets DO get flooded whenever it rains, especially in the old center.

OP - are you a guy or a girl?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.