Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it easy to get to MAD from Atocha?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Is it easy to get to MAD from Atocha?

Thinking of staying near Atocha station as I would like to make a day trip to Toledo by train, from the station is it easy to get a train (with luggage in tow) to T4 at MAD airport?

Thanks.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA*G, SK-EBB, DL-G, IB-Silver Marriott Gold , HHonors Gold, SHG Gold
The C1 (Renfe Cercanias train) goes at .15 and .45 past most hours (5.15 to 23.45) and takes just 25 minutes to T4.

The Airport Express bus starts at Atocha and runs 24 hours, every 35 minutes all night and every 15 minutes during the day.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 6:32 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
You alreay have your answer from MADflyer ^

I've taken the train to T4, and it's very eary.

Not quite as recently, I've taken the train to Toledo, and that is a wonderful day trip. Believe the bus runs more frequently, but the train is almost always more fun and has more room to move around.

EmailKid
Old Aug 31, 2013, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
You alreay have your answer from MADflyer ^

I've taken the train to T4, and it's very eary.

Not quite as recently, I've taken the train to Toledo, and that is a wonderful day trip. Believe the bus runs more frequently, but the train is almost always more fun and has more room to move around.

EmailKid
My bold.
+1
It is truly easy to take the train to MAD
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
I may be wrong, but I thought the express bus did not run to/from Atocha overnight but instead starts/terminates elsewhere in the city centre (Cibeles?).
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by Seat64A
I may be wrong, but I thought the express bus did not run to/from Atocha overnight but instead starts/terminates elsewhere in the city centre (Cibeles?).
It makes a stop in Cibeles, also O'Donnell.

I don't know if a transport pass is valid for the bus, but if you have an unlimited pass for other reasons around the city, it will be valid for the train to MAD as well.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
Curiosity got the better of me and I went to the EMT Madrid website. During the night buses do not start or terminate at Atocha but at Cibeles. This information might be useful to someone who wanted, say, to use this bus to get from Barajas to Atocha at 1am - ¡No es posible!

With night buses also starting and terminating at Cibeles (and presumably no trains arriving or departing from Atocha) what EMT Madrid has done makes some sense.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by Seat64A
Curiosity got the better of me and I went to the EMT Madrid website. During the night buses do not start or terminate at Atocha but at Cibeles. This information might be useful to someone who wanted, say, to use this bus to get from Barajas to Atocha at 1am - ¡No es posible!

With night buses also starting and terminating at Cibeles (and presumably no trains arriving or departing from Atocha) what EMT Madrid has done makes some sense.
I would say just walk from Atocha to Cibeles. It's just over a kilometer. I believe there are also night buses that go up Paseo del Prado between Atocha and Cibeles but transfers can be unbearably long at night if you don't get lucky.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:22 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I don't know if a transport pass is valid for the bus, but if you have an unlimited pass for other reasons around the city, it will be valid for the train to MAD as well.
Just in case:

Transport passes aren't valid on the Airport Express yellow bus. Only single tickets sold onboard are valid (5€).

Transport passes are valid on the metro (no extra airport supplement needed), Cercanías C1, or the regular bus from Avenida América (#200).
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
As everything transport-related has been beautifully answered already in this thread, let me just say that Toledo is a gem of a city and well worth the trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.