Search

Spain itinerary advice?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver
Spain itinerary advice?

Hi all,

My wife, my two sons (ages 12 & 10) and I will be vacationing in Spain for 8 days in mid-March. We are flying into Barcelona and will be flying out of Madrid.

Right now, our thoughts are to spend 2 nights in Barcelona (one day dedicated to the city and another to a day trip to Montserrat), then head either to San Sebastian or to Seville for two nights. We'd likely take the train if going to San Sebastian and would fly into Seville.

We're currently thinking that after two nights in either San Sebastian or Seville, we'd head to Madrid for three nights (with maybe a day trip to Toledo during that time) before heading home.

So, which city would you choose to visit in-between Barcelona and Madrid...San Sebastian or Seville? Or is there another town we should consider? Are we spending too much time in Madrid, or not enough in Barcelona?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan

Last edited by aggiebry; Dec 30, 2011 at 4:05 pm
Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I liked Seville. Have you thought about hopping over to Mallorca or one of the other islands instead?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Bryan,

After spending 6 nights in BCN last March, and after spending 5 nights in MAD a couple of years ago...... Catch my drift.

We did the day trips you mentioned to Toledo and Montserrat.

If you're limited to 8 days, stick to BCN and MAD. Anything else is killing yourself.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Bryan,

After spending 6 nights in BCN last March, and after spending 5 nights in MAD a couple of years ago...... Catch my drift.

We did the day trips you mentioned to Toledo and Montserrat.

If you're limited to 8 days, stick to BCN and MAD. Anything else is killing yourself.

Agree lots to see with only a few days
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:50 am

8 days really isn't much time. I agree with dhammer53. Stick with Barcelona and Madrid, especially since you will be travelling with family. This will minimize time spent packing and unpacking and give you some time to get to know each city. Then plan to return to see more of this great country. Have fun.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 2:25 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
While you certainly can fill 8 days with BCN and MAD (especially with side trips), if you want to add another place, in March I'd go rather south than north.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:11 pm

I'd go with the three big cities, Barcelona, Madrid and Valencia, all fantastic. Plenty of time to get a really good taste of all three. Valencia is particularly nice for families with it's futuristic City of Arts and Science with it's jaw dropping architecture, aquarium and such. I'd go three, three and two on the nights, but that's just my travel style. So many places in the world to see and then you'll know which you want to go back to another time for a bigger bite.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by mattkorey
I'd go with the three big cities, Barcelona, Madrid and Valencia, all fantastic.
If the OP sticks to his plan for 3 cities, I personally think that Sevilla would be more interesting. It would give him a taste of Andalucía. (Valencia and Barcelona are similar in lots of aspects.)

But I also think that the OP should rethink his plan, with only 8 "days" available. Since he will stay 7 nights only, he basically has 6 complete days, and he will spend 2 half days (or more) of that traveling.
And honestly, if you only plan 2 nights in Barcelona, why waste a day on Montserrat?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: AmEx Platinum, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold, Iberia Plus, Club Carlson Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
Hello!

My advice is to just go to Barcelona and Madrid. With 8 days, you will barely have enough time to truly enjoy all Madrid and Barcelona offer.

If you need advice on restaurants - especially in Madrid - let me know and I'll be glad to give you a hand!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 1:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by panyafe
Hello!

My advice is to just go to Barcelona and Madrid. With 8 days, you will barely have enough time to truly enjoy all Madrid and Barcelona offer.

If you need advice on restaurants - especially in Madrid - let me know and I'll be glad to give you a hand!
+1 agree 8 days is really not enough in one major city-IMHO
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:27 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
From Madrid, consider doing a day bus tour to Avila and Segovia, two fascinating towns that are also UNESCO world heritage sites (for good reason). The trips are reasonably priced, with English speaking guides, and your hotel concierge should be able to set you up with one. The one I did included lunch, but was a little more expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.