Wiki Posts
Search

Madrid airport to Centro

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2010, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Madrid airport to Centro

Hi, I did a search but cannot find anything about my question which is -

What is the best way to get from the Madrid airport to Calle Via in the center of Madrid?

Travel books give conflicting information and Google searches are not sufficiently refined to be useful.

I do not want to rent a car and I do not want to hire a private limo. I just want to get from the airport to my hotel in central Madrid.

I read that taxis are a rip off to tourists. Can this be so?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
-
Old Aug 8, 2010, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I don't know where Calle Via is. But if central Madrid is where you want to go to, and by metro, this might be of help:

From the airport (3 stations there), take Line 8 of metro to the end station, named Nuevos Ministeros. Transfer to other lines from here. For example, if your hotel is near the Sol metro station (generally considered as Center of Madrid, and indeed Spain), then you transfer to Line 6 (westbound). Get off 1 stop later and transfer to Line 1 (southbound) to Sol.

To use google map to find the metro lines, all you have to do is click on any station symbol, the entire metro system lines will show.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
Do you mean Gran Via? If so, there are five metro stops to choose from: Gran Via (lines 1 and 5), Callao (lines 3 and 5), Plaza de Espana (lines 3 and 10), Santo Domingo (line2) and Sevilla (line2). Your choice would obviously depend on exactly where on Gran Via you want to go. Only Plaza Espana involves just two lines from the airport (lines 8 and 10).

I'd had limited experience of Madrid taxis and have had no problem. From the airport there'd be a supplement (currently 5.50 euros) which does not show on the meter. Complete tariffs can be found on www.munimadrid.es.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I've used taxis in Madrid. Whilst not cheap, there's worse. They are metered and I have never had an issue.
However, I would second the other posters suggestions, unless you have masses of bags, use the subway. Cheap and efficient.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 8:51 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Plat; Hilton; SkyMiles
Originally Posted by catandmouse
I've used taxis in Madrid. Whilst not cheap, there's worse. They are metered and I have never had an issue.
However, I would second the other posters suggestions, unless you have masses of bags, use the subway. Cheap and efficient.
Will be traveling to Madrid shortly and need to get from the Airport to hotel near Atocha station. Any idea how much a taxi would run? Looks like I would have to make at least two changes on the Metro while dragging the luggage. Any other options?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: price is a king
Originally Posted by wpclay
Will be traveling to Madrid shortly and need to get from the Airport to hotel near Atocha station. Any idea how much a taxi would run? Looks like I would have to make at least two changes on the Metro while dragging the luggage. Any other options?
Max 30 EUR from T123, little more from T4.

mf
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by MichalFKowalik
Max 30 EUR from T123, little more from T4.

mf
Thanks a bunch. I think avoiding the luggage drag would be worth that much.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: price is a king
good point, some of Madrid transfers are just perfect (Principe Pio, Nuev. Mini.) but the older ones in the city center, as you can expect, are not really luggage friendly (no question - one of the most user-friendly metro systems I know). LH/LO fly from T1, which provides you a nice 15 mins walk from the metro to the checkin desks - not too optimal with 10 bottles of wine, whole-leg-jamon and 6 pounds of cheese in your suitcase

enjoy Madrid and go for some cool night-life in La Latina to chill out.

mf
Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
If you're going to Atocha, take the Metro to Nuevos Ministerios, and then an easy transfer to the Cercanias about a 3 min walk, and you're at Atocha. You'll have to pay once for the metro (incl. the airport supplement), once for the Cercanias, unless you have a day pass.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:45 am

Just to follow up, it was 28 euros each way for a taxi between the airport (T1) and the hotel near Atocha train station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.