Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest / AirTran credits are now exchangeable! (was:reward points merging?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Hey everyone,

I haven't posted much on here but was wondering if anyone knows if/when the rewards programs for Southwest and AirTran are going to merge? I would like to use some RR points on an AirTran flight...

Thanks,

Dave
Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:31 am

No word yet on any sort of linkage or merger of the AirTran and Southwest frequent flyer programs.

It seems relatively likely that the same techincal issues which block code sharing between the two airlines until some time in 2013 is also blocking earnings reciprocity, cross-redemption, or merger of the two programs.

I don't think there's any assurance you'll ever be able to use RR credits for free travel on an AirTran flight. I'm not saying that AirTran FF customers will be left high and dry, because at very least I'd expect when AirTran's FF program folds that unused credits will be converted into RR. But will there ever be the type of cross-airline FF program linkage we're used to seeing, where you can earn and/or redeem interchangably between programs? Who knows if that will ever happen.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:31 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by knope2001
But will there ever be the type of cross-airline FF program linkage we're used to seeing, where you can earn and/or redeem interchangably between programs? Who knows if that will ever happen.
Good point. Southwest probably prefers not the spend money developing software that will only be used for a year or so. Transfer of A+ credits into RR2 points is cheaper, easier, and better for members.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by knope2001
, because at very least I'd expect when AirTran's FF program folds that unused credits will be converted into RR.
I wouldn't be so sure. RR 1 credits weren't folded into RR 2 - why would Airtran credits be treated any differently.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:13 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by lougord99
I wouldn't be so sure. RR 1 credits weren't folded into RR 2 - why would Airtran credits be treated any differently.
Because there's much less revenue loss at stake vs. a similar programming cost. The longer Southwest waits, the smaller the former will be.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 5:52 pm

Just saw this thread...and making sure you all do know that you can transfer points between Rapid Rewards and A+ Rewards.

https://www.southwest.com/account/ra...transfer-login
Old Apr 19, 2012, 6:23 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by boudinboat
Just saw this thread...and making sure you all do know that you can transfer points between Rapid Rewards and A+ Rewards.

https://www.southwest.com/account/ra...transfer-login
That looks like a brand new addition to the website! It's not linked from anywhere that I can see, so I wonder how you found it?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Marriott Platinum
Its in the "My Rapid Rewards" tab.

Details: http://www.rewardsfarther.com/?ref=a...ointconversion

Looks like I can send some of my RR points over to my A+ account, get a standard A+ award and use it for either WN or FL! Woo hoo!

I was worried when WN was going to do this since my A+ awards are expiring in May.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 6:57 pm

Good to see them make headway in this area. Assuming the transfer details are as reasonable and hitch-free as it currently appears, this helps to address a sore point for some customers.

The conversion rate from RR points (a revenue-based program) to A+ (a segment-based program) could give Southwest flyers a way to redeem fewer points for comparatively-expensive segments.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
The big question for me and a lot of others, apparently not answered of course:

Will WN CP holders be able to take their "Cs" on Airtran flights?

Since transferred points/credits will not accrue elite status in the other airline, I assume not, but it would be nice to know for sure.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:16 am

Anyone have any general experience with seat availability on FL?

Interesting blackout dates... Every Sunday in July and the first Sunday in August is blacked out.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Related question: Do purchases on FL earn any extra credit on the RR credit card or is still just 1 point / dollar?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:47 am

I made a transfer this morning. The process was very simple and transfer immediate.

Good job, WN.

I think that the timing of all of this caught everyone by surprise, including some company employees.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I have been digging deeper.

WN Standard Awards may be converted to 16 Airtran credits. And Freedom Awards convert to 32! These could prove useful to folks claiming that WN 1.0/1.5 Awards have no value to them. Gotta read up on Airtran's system.

Triple Airtran credits for flights in/out of ATL right now. That's $60 worth of WGA after transfer. Time to dig more!

Last edited by toomanybooks; Apr 20, 2012 at 10:00 am
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:10 am

I have 8 Airtran awards so I can't transfer them Southwest for points, but I can transfer them to the old program for segments? Then I transfer my new points into the old system to get 8 more segments to get the free ticket on Southwest? Seems silly, why not let the airtran become 12,000 new southwest points? Or I can transfer 12,000 new points to Airtran for 8 segments to get a ticket?

Last edited by milesrus; Apr 20, 2012 at 10:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.