Wiki Posts
Search

Official Peanut Gallery Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Official Peanut Gallery Thread

Hi -

So I was on a WN flight yesterday, early am flight, and the head FA for that segment just kept trying to tell jokes on the intercom. When no one said anything, he kept saying "rough crowd" (a la Rodney Dangerfield). And all this BEFORE the safety demo!

So now he goes into the safety demo, sprinkling jokes along the way. When no one says anything, he says there will be a test at the end. He finishes up and says "Any questions before the test?"

Whereupon I yell out "Yes, I have a question. Is our plane today one of the Southwest planes equipped with a sunroof, and if so, can you demonstrate how to use it?

And suddenly, he decided to stop telling jokes .... thank GOD.

(edited by nsx to preserve original to post content as post number 2)
JB OmahAA likes this.

Last edited by nsx; May 7, 2011 at 11:27 am
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:05 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Official Peanut Gallery Thread

This thread is intended as a fun, more or less free-fire zone within this forum. Posts will not be edited here. If they go too far they will be deleted without notice, but otherwise they stay. Fair enough?

Readers who enjoy food fights can have a ton of fun. Readers who prefer to be serious all the time can safely ignore this thread and miss out. It's your choice.
kennycrudup and jac2020 like this.

Last edited by nsx; Feb 6, 2015 at 11:08 am
Old Apr 27, 2011, 4:49 am

Lame humor is preferred to tasteless "humor".
Old Apr 27, 2011, 5:25 am

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
I'll take lame humor over a sour attitude any day.
JB OmahAA and jac2020 like this.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 6:27 am

I'll take no humor and fly another airline.
JB OmahAA and 1readyset2go like this.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by 6P&E
+1
Old Apr 27, 2011, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Their jokes get old fast

The first couple times I flew WN, I found them to be funny but the lame jokes do get old fast. I am sure the kettles that fly once every year or two enjoy it.

What I really hate is when you are trying to sleep and they make an announcment and spend an extra few minutes on the intercom telling their jokes, especially on early AM flights. Luckilly I don't fly too much on early morning flights, but last year I was on a very early morning (6 a.m.) flight and the first leg was DTW/MDW and it was a very short flight and I just wanted to sleep and couldn't because every few minutes the FA was making an announcement and then telling her jokes after each one. Makes it annoyoing in the early morning if you are trying to sleep, at 6 a.m. most people just want to sleep or relax and not listen to their jokes.

I also hate how they bash their competition by name in their jokes. On a BNA/DTW leg a couple months ago, the FA makde jokes at Deltas expense at least three times. One of the jokes was during the safety briefing and when she mentioned the fine for smoking in the lav or disabling the smoke detector, she said that no one probably wanted to pay that fine and if they could afford to pay the fine they could afford to fly Delta (funny thing is Delta has been cheaper than WN on any flight I have checked lately). In flight she made another joke at Deltas expense. Upon landing she was giving he little cheerleaders speech about WN, and said "Unlike Delta, Southwest has no change fees and no checked bag fees". At that point I was about ready to tell her that there was a lot of other things Delta had that WN didn't such as assigned seating, not having to gate lice to insure a good seat if you were checking bags, more than one cabin, food choices, nonstop service, wide bodied planes
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, A-List, Companion Pass Holder
Wow! The OP sure showed that FA trying to make his long, monotonous day a little more enjoyable a thing or two. I'm sure those little jokes really ruined your day....not. I'm sure your douchbaggery to the FA probably DID screw up his once bright attitude for the rest of the day. Remember, once you get off the plane, he gets three or more groups of courteous, polite, cheerful passengers just like you to deal with.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Bottom line is that the OP was "joking" about a potential crash. Talk about a buzzkill. No wonder the FA was stunned into silence. How crass.

Also, he/she assumed that he/she was speaking on behalf of the other passengers? How so? Did he/she take a poll? Or did he/she just open up his/her trap and make such a vulgar/ugly comment for his/her own selfish reasons?

Perhaps a nicer way to have handled it might have been to simply make a comment to the FA that he/she was trying to get some shut-eye due to the time of day, and perhaps the FA could keep the announcements to the bare minimum?

Or perhaps the OP might have just kept his/her big mouth shut, realizing that SW has a reputation for animated flight attendants/announcements. Or asked for earplugs? Or booked with someone else?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: CO-PLT,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, AA ex Platinum, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by theesir
Wow! The OP sure showed that FA trying to make his long, monotonous day a little more enjoyable a thing or two. I'm sure those little jokes really ruined your day....not. I'm sure your douchbaggery to the FA probably DID screw up his once bright attitude for the rest of the day. Remember, once you get off the plane, he gets three or more groups of courteous, polite, cheerful passengers just like you to deal with.
If the FA's would just shut-up during the flights and do their douchbaggery on their off-time, the majority of the customers on board would appreciate it.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelingfool23
I'll take no humor and fly another airline.
^

I buy plane tickets, not admission to cheap lounge acts.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by theesir
Just like the FA last weekend who got a bit too graphic with the emergency exit row spiel. She went through the normal exit door spiel and then added, "If there are smoke and flames outside, don't open the door. Once again, if you see smoke and flames outside the aircraft, go to another emergency exit." Then, she repeated it to the people on the other side.

As a former airline employee, it is most certainly a correct statement. However, it could put fear into some travelers...
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:26 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
Originally Posted by formeraa
Just like the FA last weekend who got a bit too graphic with the emergency exit row spiel. She went through the normal exit door spiel and then added, "If there are smoke and flames outside, don't open the door. Once again, if you see smoke and flames outside the aircraft, go to another emergency exit." Then, she repeated it to the people on the other side.

As a former airline employee, it is most certainly a correct statement. However, it could put fear into some travelers...
that info needs to be on the safety card....even some of us kettles don't know it...
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
The FA's get a few laughs each time. It gets old fast, especially if you're with them for 3 segments that day. It's become a right of passage with Southewst--similar to the first time I flew Southewst (last C to board, first time I heard x joke.) I've just learned to tone things out when needed.

The FA's most exciting part of their day may be to make a couple people chuckle while they try to lighten the mood of the flight. They don't have a menial job, but it is repetitive. As a business traveller I'm glad that their employer lets them have a bit of fun in flight.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by 6P&E
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.