Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Greenville/Spartanburg Potential for SWA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Greenville/Spartanburg Potential for SWA?

Could Greenville/Spartanburg be one of Southwest next destinations?

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...NTPAGECAROUSEL
Old Jun 14, 2009, 11:24 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, WorldPerks
I think there could be some potentail. The airport might seem a bit small for WN these days, but I wonder how much of their annual pax count is depressed thanks to the relative closeness of CLT.

If this was WN a few years ago, I would say it might happen. But lately WN doesn't seem to be afraid of going right into big markets.

But who knows, I can't imagine the other carriers would put a huge fight if WN came.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 1:07 pm

I've always thought this would be a good way for WN to grow in the Southeast, but as has been stated - the "we're an alternate to the ATL market" for folks in metro atlanta is not how WN is going these days (they aren't skybus) - that being said, Atlanta keeps growing on the far North suburbs where 1.5 hrs to greenville may make more sense than 1 hr plus threat of Traffic to ATL. However, loyalties to DL and AT would be a problem. Also, SC keeps growing as well too and has major employers, like BMW.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Ag Muti-year WN Companion Pass, A+, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Ntl EmExElite
I could be wrong, but other than Alligant, isn't GSP only regional jets now?
If so, Southwest would be adding significant capacity at a time when demand is low.

However they could probably do a flight to Orlando and Tampa to take care of Alligant. Add Chicago, Baltimore and Dallas or Houston to take care of the business traveller. With American cutting 10% on August 1, they probably are looking for any signs of increased demand for seats so they can pounce.

The last time I was in GSP there were not a lot of options for me to fly home in the evening. US Air doesn't fly to my home city so this posed a problem. Several of the people I was working with drove to Atlanta rather than deal with the limited schedule, so the lower volume out of GSP could be a schedule and fare issue more than anything else.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by ctuttle
I could be wrong, but other than Alligant, isn't GSP only regional jets now?
If so, Southwest would be adding significant capacity at a time when demand is low.

However they could probably do a flight to Orlando and Tampa to take care of Alligant. Add Chicago, Baltimore and Dallas or Houston to take care of the business traveller. With American cutting 10% on August 1, they probably are looking for any signs of increased demand for seats so they can pounce.

The last time I was in GSP there were not a lot of options for me to fly home in the evening. US Air doesn't fly to my home city so this posed a problem. Several of the people I was working with drove to Atlanta rather than deal with the limited schedule, so the lower volume out of GSP could be a schedule and fare issue more than anything else.
They can't do GSP-DAL whith out stoping at BHM or MSY and if they do 1 of those nt aving flight to BNA woold be not nice.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
I would guess WN needs a certain number of flights so as to properly utilize their ground staff. I don't think they "outsource" ground service anywhere.

What is the station with the fewest number of flights?

I know AA "Express" flys a wierd schedule to Champaign, IL. About 3 flights arrive in the evening and then depart the next morning withing 3 hours. Probably due to overnight parking and closeness to Chicago hub.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by SAPMAN
I would guess WN needs a certain number of flights so as to properly utilize their ground staff. I don't think they "outsource" ground service anywhere.

What is the station with the fewest number of flights?

I know AA "Express" flys a wierd schedule to Champaign, IL. About 3 flights arrive in the evening and then depart the next morning withing 3 hours. Probably due to overnight parking and closeness to Chicago hub.
Corpus Christi
Old Jun 15, 2009, 5:58 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by dwebb
but I wonder how much of their annual pax count is depressed thanks to the relative closeness of CLT.
The official "market leakage" count is 55% (Between ATL, CLT and possibly AVL), so WN, or whoever decided to come in with a decent schedule and lower fares would have most of that to themselves. Also, GSP has shown that this market responds to low fares in a big way. Independence Air ushered in record pax numbers, and while G4 doesn't fly frequently, they have expanded from 2 original destinations to 4, and some flights now operate nearly daily (big deal for G4).

Add to that, the fact that there is lots of business travel to/from GSP, and that this area hasn't been hit as hard in the recession as most others, and I think GSP would be a slam-dunk for WN.

Last edited by gsupstate; Jun 15, 2009 at 6:10 am
Old Jun 15, 2009, 9:45 am

Why woold wouthwest strat South Carolina whith GSP there is biger airports in area they do not fly to yet? But always expect unexpected from southwest
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:58 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by borya
Why woold wouthwest strat South Carolina whith GSP there is biger airports in area they do not fly to yet? But always expect unexpected from southwest
Lower cost of operation, greater market share, less competition, etc, etc, etc... Plus they can still pull from those larger markets easily from GSP.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by gsupstate
Lower cost of operation, greater market share, less competition, etc, etc, etc... Plus they can still pull from those larger markets easily from GSP.
Those are the same arguments used for service in Manchester and Providence. Within eighteen months BOS will have 2X the WN service MHT or PVD ever had. Operationally (due to size) and strategically (look at the cities added in the last four years) WN has outgrown small markets like GSP - smaller in passenger numbers than Wichita, and Wichita isn't described as the great gateway to MCI.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Those are the same arguments used for service in Manchester and Providence. Within eighteen months BOS will have 2X the WN service MHT or PVD ever had. Operationally (due to size) and strategically (look at the cities added in the last four years) WN has outgrown small markets like GSP - smaller in passenger numbers than Wichita, and Wichita isn't described as the great gateway to MCI.
Reasons/arguments are still valid, however. If it ain't broke.... What's wrong with making $$ in big and medium-sized markets at the same time?

Last edited by gsupstate; Jun 17, 2009 at 6:16 am
Old Jun 15, 2009, 3:42 pm

but it lock like GHS or MYR is beter option in South carolina. And GSO is big airport in area southwest have not fly to yet. Also SAV is biger that GSP.
Me personaly woold like them to go to SJU GPT ACY DFW before GSP.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by borya
but it lock like GHS or MYR is beter option in South carolina. And GSO is big airport in area southwest have not fly to yet. Also SAV is biger that GSP.
Me personaly woold like them to go to SJU GPT ACY DFW before GSP.
GSO is pretty close to an existing (pretty major) WN station - RDU. SAV may be "bigger", but I doubt it has the corporate presence (business travel) or diversity of people from other places that GSP does, which generates travel to see family, summer vacations, etc. MYR is nearly totally a leisure destination - plus they already have decent LCC service already.

The question is, "is there $$ to be made?" The answer is yes - WN can be the catalyst that brings back the 55% of would-be GSP travelers that drive to other airports because of fares. They'd very likely also attract others to fly who wouldn't have considered flying at all, another market segment.

Last edited by gsupstate; Jun 17, 2009 at 6:14 am
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:13 pm

What change in GSP in last 4 years. After ATS codeshare southwest just going to former ATA airports. Exept IAD and MKE. But what i read they went to IAD after FlyI stop flying. And MKE becase of Midwest droping to many flighs or maybe Delta/Northwest merger and Mke was Northwest hub or focus City. I must be mad but i think EWR be next. Southwest can get non-stops to 8-12 citys whith 20-30 flights. SRQ and PIE can get 7-10 flights each?
SRQ-BWI SRQ-MDW SRQ-MCO 8-10 flights. PIE-BWI PIE-MDW PIE-FLL 7+
Flights. And DCA and DFW be last to copletle replace ATA codeshare.
Since they comeback to SFO They might comeack to IAH. Than DFW IAH will get flight to 6 airports each LAS MDW BWI MCO LAX(or PHX) and DFW-HOU IAH-DAL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.