I know I'm missing something...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2009, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A List, CP, Hertz Gold, Mich Season Tkt, HH Diamond
I know I'm missing something...

I was looking at this website...

http://webflyer.com/programs/mileage_converter/

If I charge 25K of purchases on an Amex platinum.. it says I can go through some hassle, but get 25 credits on RR. (it's not formatting right, but I think you get the point.)

Path #1 Miles/Points
American Express Membership Rewards (US) converts to (starting) 25,000
Continental OnePass (at a ratio of 1:1) converts to 25,000
Amtrak Guest Rewards (at a ratio of 1:1) converts to 25,000
* Choice Hotels Choice Privileges (at a ratio of 5000:15000) converts to 75,000
Southwest Rapid Rewards (at a ratio of 6000:2) Total: 25

Since Southwest RR is usually $1200 to 1 credit.. This would be a good deal.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Last edited by NeilGoBlue; Apr 12, 2009 at 6:11 pm
Old Apr 12, 2009, 5:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
25K Amex Membership rewards points will convert to enough credits for a free ticket on several low CC:

Airtran
JetBlue
Southwest

We actually lean towards JetBlue. With their Carribean Service, its a good use of points.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 6:16 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Originally Posted by NeilGoBlue

Is this possible?

Yes, if you meet a few conditions...the first post of this thread goes into detail.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
To do this I think you must be Amtrak Select or spend $200 in that calendar year on Amtrak tickets.

I think you also have to either have a recent Choice Hotel stay or the Choice Visa card.

Amtrak is notorious for screwing people unannounced on the terms of their program, and Choice Privileges is no slacker on that score. So don't let the points sit around long.

And the Southwest Visa yields as much as 1 credit per $600, if you spend with their partners or for Southwest tickets.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 6:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Maybe I am missing something. You can convert Amex Plat direct to SWA RR without washing them through any other programs.

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...4082&aid=55329

Isn't this what you are looking for?

One credit =1500 Amex points. 16 credits X 1500=24000 points

24K Amex points will yield enough credits for 1 SWA reward ticket.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A List, CP, Hertz Gold, Mich Season Tkt, HH Diamond
Yes you can do that.. but if you do it the way I outlined it, you get more credits per dollar.. if it works..
Old Apr 12, 2009, 7:17 pm

Yes you can do that.. but if you do it the way I outlined it, you get more credits per dollar.. if it works..
GOTCHA!
Old Apr 12, 2009, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
It works IF you meet the current Amtrak requirement to transfer out. Also note they restrict how many points can be transferred per year.

The conversion used to be be much better than this. Amtrak changed the coversion rate to Choice then restricted who could transfer out, both without notice, leaving many people stuck with Amtrak points they couldn't use.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
The conversion used to be be much better than this. Amtrak changed the coversion rate to Choice then restricted who could transfer out, both without notice, leaving many people stuck with Amtrak points they couldn't use.
Then Choice raised it from 2500 points per RR credit to 3000, also without notice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.