Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate searches on Southwest?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:20 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by SWABrian
Thanks for sharing your experiences and observations. In turn, I shared them with our Federal Security folks who work with the TSA on a daily basis. They wanted you to know that know that although we cannot prevent the TSA from randomly screening Business Select Customers in the gate area, our Employees are intensely aware of the value of Business Select, so we work with the TSA in order to ensure these folks retain their A1-15 status.
I hope you also make your colleagues at WN aware that the TSA process is costing WN lost business from people like me. I generally fly on fully refundable fares and try to buy first class where available (as it's the only way to get pre-boarding and other priority services if you don't have elite status) but was about to switch some of my business to WN because I like WN's flexibility and reasonable fares and the benefits of Business Select. But then I saw this thread on Flyertalk and decided to book my next two flights to LAS on US Airways (in first class) instead.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:26 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
I hope you also make your colleagues at WN aware that the TSA process is costing WN lost business from people like me. I generally fly on fully refundable fares and try to buy first class where available (as it's the only way to get pre-boarding and other priority services if you don't have elite status) but was about to switch some of my business to WN because I like WN's flexibility and reasonable fares and the benefits of Business Select. But then I saw this thread on Flyertalk and decided to book my next two flights to LAS on US Airways (in first class) instead.
They are aware, but thankfully we have had very good cooperation from the TSA. No I can't promise that a Business Select flyer will never be selected, just as any carrier that assigns seats can't guarantee you won't experience a seat dupe. That is important to remember because the odds of both happening are about the same, slim but possible.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
They are aware, but thankfully we have had very good cooperation from the TSA. No I can't promise that a Business Select flyer will never be selected, just as any carrier that assigns seats can't guarantee you won't experience a seat dupe. That is important to remember because the odds of both happening are about the same, slim but possible.
I do disagree in terms of a 'slim' chance of being selected if you have a boarding pass in the A1-30 range. From the first-hand witness of selection of people at both TUS and LAS at the gate, TSA starts looking for people as boarding starts, and they need people to review. They don't let all of the first 15 or 30 people go ever, they always find 2-3 people or more in the first set. If Southwest started tracking which people are getting pick, I do believe it will find that a disproportionate number of A-listers and BS folks are being picked.

So, why can't TSA do its inspections before boarding actually starts. Do they have to wait until Southwest lets people on the plane? I mean people are already in the A lines and could be selected then.

Rasheed
Old Jul 9, 2009, 4:23 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by rasheed
So, why can't TSA do its inspections before boarding actually starts.
I thought they already did....like at the checkpoints into the sterile area?

Trying to streamline or improve gate searches is like trying to polish a turd. It is something that shouldn't be fixed, it should be eliminated.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: Priority Club Spire Elite.,Hilton,Rapid Rewards,AA
I missed out on the fun on a DAL-OKC flight Tuesday afternoon.

When the gate attendant announced it, there was a palpable groan from the seating area, including me.

Gate screenings are the most asinine thing created
Old Jul 10, 2009, 4:55 am

Programs: WN RR A-List Preferred & CP, Alaska Air MVP Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
Than you for your feedback.

While you may have had good cooperation with TSA in your conversations with them, what I'm seeing at the gates is not following what you are being told.

Why has there been a recent switch to doing the searches after the passenger hands the boarding pass to the gate agent?

Passengers are lined up for several minutes with TSA agents stading by doing nothing. Why aren't the searches done at this time as they were previously?
Old Jul 10, 2009, 6:53 am

Programs: SWA RR
Originally Posted by david2son08
Passengers are lined up for several minutes with TSA agents standing by doing nothing. Why aren't the searches done at this time as they were previously?
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:17 pm
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Hey y'all
I shared your latest questions with our Manager Federal Airport Security Communications, and here is what Jeff told me:

We completely understand the frustration with this topic. Obviously, we would much prefer TSA to work within our procedures in every location and enable us to keep the process seamless--and in some cities, the TSA is considerate of our unique operation and the Business Select product. However, TSA has local authority to conduct these screenings in any way they see fit, and we have a regulatory requirement to comply even if we don't agree with the timing or methods they choose. We recognize the potential impact on business, so in locations where there are problems, our only recourse is to continue requesting that the TSA work with us because we feel it is mutually beneficial to do so. It is their choice whether or not to help us.

From a security standpoint, the TSA will not exempt any particular group of people from random gate screening, because doing so would create a very visible hole in the security program. And the TSA feels that randomness in the process creates better security overall because people can't "game" the system.

Bottomline, we will continue working from our side to minimize the impact to our boarding process and to maintain the value of our products. Our Customers can also contact the TSA directly to voice concerns and complaints about their experiences at http://www.tsa.gov/contact/index.shtm. There is a "Complaint" form that will allow you to voice your thoughts on the matter.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by david2son08
Than you for your feedback.

While you may have had good cooperation with TSA in your conversations with them, what I'm seeing at the gates is not following what you are being told.

Why has there been a recent switch to doing the searches after the passenger hands the boarding pass to the gate agent?

Passengers are lined up for several minutes with TSA agents stading by doing nothing. Why aren't the searches done at this time as they were previously?
Originally Posted by Appletom
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
It's who they are: Thousands Standing Around
Old Jul 10, 2009, 1:07 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
And the TSA feels that randomness in the process creates better security overall because people can't "game" the system.
This line made me laugh. Like anyone couldn't tell how to game the system by waiting until the TSA goons are busy harassing Grandma and the other people in line.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 1:23 pm

Programs: SWA RR
From a security standpoint, the TSA will not exempt any particular group of people from random gate screening.
So instead they always select either the first, second or third person in a line.

Randomly, of course.

To their credit, the last two times I've seen a gate search it was quick, the person didn't lose more than 4-5 spots in the line. Granted, that's enough to lose seat 11C, but I do remember much longer gate searches way back when.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 2:12 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by tusphotog
This line made me laugh. Like anyone couldn't tell how to game the system by waiting until the TSA goons are busy harassing Grandma and the other people in line.
+1

And anyone with weapons/illegal items (which should have been caught at the checkpoint) can just sit back in the comfy leather chairs charging up their iPods and Blackberries while they watch the gate grope dog and pony show. Then board at the end of C after the gestapo have left.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 2:20 pm

Programs: WN RR A-List Preferred & CP, Alaska Air MVP Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
The "random" selection of the second passenger in the A boarding group continued yesterday at BWI.

In the last few weeks, the second passenger in the A boarding group seemingly is always the "random" selection.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: Skyteam/Delta Silver Medallion, Starwood Gold Preferred
seriously... several times this past month I have noticed TSA agents in groups of 2-4 standing around at the gate for around an hour until boarding was called... for an on-time flight. We're paying rent-a-cops to stand around and talk in the gate areas for hours every day! Man, does that make me feel safer
Old Jul 12, 2009, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by rasheed
If Southwest started tracking which people are getting pick, I do believe it will find that a disproportionate number of A-listers and BS folks are being picked.
Very good idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.