Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN Seat Width

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:36 am
Original Poster

WN Seat Width

Does anyone know how wide Southwest's seats are in comparison with the legacy carrier's coach seats? Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:38 am

Gone.

Last edited by Peetah; Oct 21, 2008 at 1:27 am
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
They should be about the same width as on legacy carriers: Southwest's 737's aren't any wider or narrower than any other carriers', and all carriers that I'm aware of use 3x3 seating in economy on 737's.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
As far as narrowbodies go, the Boeings (737, 757) have the same cabin width, so the seat width will be pretty much the same no matter what airline. The Airbus narrowbodies (318 - 321 models) are enough wider to allow for an inch or so extra seat width, along with an inch or so wider aisle.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
17" per seat guru vs. 17.2" for CO and AA. So, roughly the same
Old Aug 14, 2008, 2:31 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Interesting....

Originally Posted by grahampros
17" per seat guru vs. 17.2" for CO and AA. So, roughly the same
I fly CO from SAN to EWR often in coach. Every time i sit down on the CO 737 seat, i really noticed that the CO are narrower and with less leg room than the 737s seat on SWA. I am serious.

Same thing goes for the Aloha 737s when they had SAN to LIH back in March.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by SDCA
I fly CO from SAN to EWR often in coach. Every time i sit down on the CO 737 seat, i really noticed that the CO are narrower and with less leg room than the 737s seat on SWA. I am serious.

Legroom can and does vary from one airline to another. Each one can decide how many rows to squeeze into a particular aircraft, but there is not very much they can do with the width.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:30 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by SDCA

The narrower seat must have been a figment of your imagination. As the other posters said a 737 is a 737 and if it is 3 x 3, then it is the same width. The aisle width is governed by FAA regulations so that is the same on all of them as well.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 1:12 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
The narrower seat must have been a figment of your imagination. As the other posters said a 737 is a 737 and if it is 3 x 3, then it is the same width. The aisle width is governed by FAA regulations so that is the same on all of them as well.
Ok, it was my imagination.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 8:33 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I seem to recall reading that the seats in the first few rows are narrower due to the curvature of the fuselage. The luggage bins there are certainly smaller.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 8:35 am

I think you are right NSX, the first few rows and the last few. The reason I'm almost 100% is because I think they have special seat cushions that go there. Funny thing is this is where our largest pax seem to go is row 23, which is the most narrow part of the plane. As for the rest of the plane, all 737's have the same seat width as aisle width is goverened by the FAA, the only real difference is seat pitch (leg room).
Old Aug 15, 2008, 8:42 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
The narrower seat must have been a figment of your imagination.
I think WN's leather seats make it feel like you have more room than a cloth seat.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 9:15 am

Wink And what about seat 11F with tray table?

Originally Posted by nsx
I seem to recall reading that the seats in the first few rows are narrower due to the curvature of the fuselage. The luggage bins there are certainly smaller.
Also, has anyone else notice the size of Exit row seat 11F with tray table built in to the arm rest? I believe this is the seat that doesn't have a seat in front of it.

Exit seat 11F seems to be a bit smaller if there is a tray table built in because the arm rest is a bit thicker. Some one mentioned this once when i was in the two seater row.

And you are absolutely right about the luggage bins are smaller. I can't place the same roller bag i normally travel with "wheels in first, top handles out", or vice vera, in each end as i can in the middle of the plane.

But then again, it may just be my imagination that i was actually on a Greyhound bus.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:25 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by Lookin4Points
I think WN's leather seats make it feel like you have more room than a cloth seat.
That might be true.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
I believe the aisle seat in the last few rows of the 737 is slightly narrower (maybe 1 in) compared to the rest of the cabin. I have heard pax complain on several occasions about these seats in the aft of the aircraft being excessively narrow. Interesting fact is that the middle seat cushions are usually about 1/2 an inch wider than the aisle and window seats (on both the 737 and A320).

The seat width on WN should be the same as any other airline's 737 coach cabin, although some airlines may use wider/narrow armrests than others. The seat pitch on WN is 32-33", which combined with the slimline seats, affords surprisingly good legroom. Much more legroom than a standard seat on VX, for example, even though VX advertises a 32" pitch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.