Wiki Posts
Search

Steps to Computer Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2008, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Originally Posted by SWAVictor
ftnoob -
In fact, while I am a new poster - I have read nearly every post in this forum for the last several years.
Saw curb's smiley.

Guess the above is better than:

While I am a long time poster, I rarely take the time to read any posts.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:30 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by Appletom
Quick - hire this guy.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Appletom! WN certainly wouldn't want me for my ability to slowly (but doggedly) write ugly computer code. I get the feeling, however, that I could teach them something about software. And we'd be a good fit; I'm an LCC also! (LCC= "Low Cost Consultant!") Even better, I'm also an LFC! (Low Fare Car..., oops, I meant Low Fee Consultant).

All kidding aside, I'll have more to discuss about this topic, but it will take days (at least) for me to get to all of it.

The misspelling of visibility was caught by the Firefox error console, so it makes no sense for that to have gotten past the internal Quality Assurance folks.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:01 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Steve M, there is a thread titled "How to quickly check fare after searching for award seats" that explains a fairly simple workaround for this problem. As stated in the first post, it is quite an annoyance that they make us "Start Over" and enter all the search parameters again. Here is what it would take to include a link on the "Select Flight" page that shows award availability:
  1. Include a function something like this in the JavaScript on that page:
    function fnWritePricingLink()
    {
    document.write ("<p class=\"pricingLink\">View <a href=\"" + document.location + "&type=" + "\">prices</a> for these flights!")
    }
  2. Add "fnWritePricingLink() ;" to call the function at the appropriate place in the page;
  3. Decide what the "pricingLink" paragraph should look like (text size, color, alignment, etc.) and add its definition (a few very short lines of text) to the style sheet.
An example of how it might look would be:
View prices for these flights!

(That example paragrah is a fake link; the JavaScript code above would create a real link.)

The above would only work in browsers with JavaScript enabled and code would have to be added to the "Select Flight" cgi routine to cause the displayed page to have these changes. So the right way to do it would be to just have the cgi routine insert the actual HTML into the page, rather than do it via JavaScript. I don't have access to the cgi so I posted the JavaScript version above to demonstrate that "it ain't rocket (aviation?) science," and it certainly doesn't require modification of the systems used at the airline ticket counters.

Victor, in appreciation for your contributions to this forum and your assistance on my other problem, the online team has my blessing to freely utilize or adapt the above to make this improvement to the southwest.com customer experience.

Edit: I realize you might not want to make this change to the regular live pages of southwest.com without a lot of testing across different platforms. An alternative would be to utilize readers of this forum as your testers. The site already has buildItinerary and buildItinerary2 (maybe the same page); you could copy one of those to buildItineraryFT and copy showItinerary to showItineraryFT. Then make the small modification discussed above to showItineraryFT, and change the form action in buildItineraryFT to post to showItineraryFT. Even if these cgi routines are compiled C programs, it almost surely would take less than one hour of labor to make the change as described here.

Last edited by ftnoob; Jul 28, 2008 at 12:01 pm Reason: Add note about using FT readers for testing
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
While in general I love the SWA website, I do have a suggestion as well as an observation of a minor issue.

Suggestion: make flight status check an option on mobile.southwest.com

Minor issue: Occasionally when I'm booking new flights, I'll get an error page "your session has timed out, please start over". This is even when I have just clicked on "book trip" and started the purchase process. It happens often enough on multiple PCs that I don't think it's a cookie or local issue, but a web server issue. Would be nice if this happened much less often or not at all.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 3:14 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
Minor issue: Occasionally when I'm booking new flights, I'll get an error page "your session has timed out, please start over". This is even when I have just clicked on "book trip" and started the purchase process. It happens often enough on multiple PCs that I don't think it's a cookie or local issue, but a web server issue. Would be nice if this happened much less often or not at all.
Odd. I do not recall it happening to me.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 2:12 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
Originally Posted by lougord99
Odd. I do not recall it happening to me.
I wouldn't be as kind as UAL and classify this as a major annyance with the website. What happens is you login and you do something ... then later you search for a flight or something, after you enter your information you get the "Your session has timed out, please login and start over" or whatever. The real PITA is that you then have to hit the back button and login and start over completely (i.e., it doesn't remember what you were just doing).

I would think what would be a better solution is on the warning screen to give the user two options, 1) Continue without logging in; or 2) Login on that screen and continue with what you were already doing. Having to hit back, then login, then start over is not a good option.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 6:36 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by SWABrian
A lot of you know that I have mentioned some computer upgrades that are coming, and that the timing of these are dependent upon other upgrades. In turn, I know some of you are impatient with this pace. This article from the Dallas Morning News yesterday will give you an idea of the complexity of the issue. CS2 is obviously the core and it has to be in place and working before all of the other good stuff can come along. So, we are making progress, and this is one of the big hurdles we are about to have jumped.
Brian
I'm sure you've thought of this -- but please make sure the res agents can still access all the functions they need w/o a mouse. Maybe with less keystrokes, but keep shortcuts in there.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 6:49 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Originally Posted by Palal
I'm sure you've thought of this -- but please make sure the res agents can still access all the functions they need w/o a mouse. Maybe with less keystrokes, but keep shortcuts in there.
We have, and actually, CS2, brings a similar system for the first time to the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.