Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Tips Or Tricks On Snagging A RR Ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:43 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Any Tips Or Tricks On Snagging A RR Ticket?

Perhaps I don't know what to search for, but this doesn't seem to be in the Wiki and a search is unavailing. I have not gotten a RR Award ticket since 2002, and apparently (according to the posts here), Southwest has now imposed capacity controls on tickets.

I now have 2 RR tickets that I will have to use by June 2009. I have done searches for all of the dates that we will be traveling in the next year. Tried one RR ticket or two, even tried dates 4 days before and 4 days after the trip, and the response from southwest.com is consistently that there are no available RR tickets for those dates. Even tried searching for all of January 2009 (until 1/8, when the schedule is not yet open) on June 26, when the new schedules opened up.

Is there a way I can do a flexible search without entering in each date individually and searching? Are there tricks to actually snagging these tickets? Or is it essentially impossible to use RR tickets nowadays?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 2:05 pm

There's a Southwest Shortcut link that you can follow on a no-availability screen, giving you a calendar with available dates.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 2:15 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Availability has been improving in the last 8 days or so before flight time. So you can make a second-choice booking and check back frequently starting a few weeks out. Getting 2 RR seats on one flight that way would be harder, though.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 2:18 pm

Programs: WN, BA, Kimpton Hotels, Starwood Hotels
Originally Posted by rove312
There's a Southwest Shortcut link that you can follow on a no-availability screen, giving you a calendar with available dates.
For awards they actual call it "Southwest Seat Finder", and in addition to being available on the no-availability screen - it is also available on your account snapshot . . its the first thing at the top of the page.

or, you can just find it here
http://www.southwest.com/cgi-bin/low...der=SeatFinder
Old Jun 30, 2008, 4:05 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by peanutsplease
For awards they actual call it "Southwest Seat Finder", and in addition to being available on the no-availability screen - it is also available on your account snapshot . . its the first thing at the top of the page.

or, you can just find it here
http://www.southwest.com/cgi-bin/low...der=SeatFinder
Hmm, that link shows paid seats only. I'll root around some more to find it for RR Awards.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 4:15 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

OK, I looked for the link on the screen that says no tickets, and there is no link. What I get is the following screen:

What happened?
There are no Rapid Rewards Ticketless Awards available for this trip.

What you need to do:
Please go back and choose another form of payment.

That's all it says, in a box with a picture of the Southwest Logo and a plane.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 4:17 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

I found it from my Account Snapshot page. Thanks.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 6:34 pm

Programs: SWA CP
Are you looking to fly out of SNA? That gets tricky to find tickets, depending on your destination. LAX or ONT may help.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 6:57 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SWSNA
Are you looking to fly out of SNA? That gets tricky to find tickets, depending on your destination. LAX or ONT may help.
No, I tried SNA and LAX. ONT is about an hour+ drive, so I'd rather not leave from there. I also tried SFO and OAK, since I can usually get there pretty cheaply and easily, with no luck.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 7:15 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
SNA is a pain to find availability out of.

LAX can be better, but sometimes still a pain.

SAN (as in San Diego) has ended up being my alternate when in a pinch. Plus you can change to SNA or LAX should they open up without any fees.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Hoc
OK, I looked for the link on the screen that says no tickets, and there is no link. What I get is the following screen:

What happened?
There are no Rapid Rewards Ticketless Awards available for this trip.

What you need to do:
Please go back and choose another form of payment.

That's all it says, in a box with a picture of the Southwest Logo and a plane.
I take it that you have confirmed that the awards are in your account and they aren't attached to a reservation? Your message is what I get when my one award is being used for a booking. If you have an award and there's no availability for the dates you search, it should list the flights and say "Unavailable" by all of them. Did you get this once you went from your Account Snapshot page?
Old Jul 1, 2008, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
I take it that you have confirmed that the awards are in your account and they aren't attached to a reservation? Your message is what I get when my one award is being used for a booking. If you have an award and there's no availability for the dates you search, it should list the flights and say "Unavailable" by all of them. Did you get this once you went from your Account Snapshot page?
That's what I was thinking - I've only gotten that message when I don't have any RR tickets currently sitting in my account (otherwise, I will get a listing of flights and whether standard awards are available/unavailable).
Old Jul 3, 2008, 7:43 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

I take it that you have confirmed that the awards are in your account and they aren't attached to a reservation?
Yes. I found availability once I went through the Seat Finder link. But only out of San Diego or Oakland, with a long connection, and only arriving around midnight. So, now I need to decide if paying for a seat is worth more to me than losing two days traveling and arriving after midnight.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
I just booked from PHX-SJC for next week. Lots of flights and availabilty on most of them
Old Jul 7, 2008, 11:12 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Sad transcon availability... Not one seat eastbound for PDX-ISP for the entire month of August, and only three dates toward the end of August for westbound. I thought maybe the next few days of July might have something (using the approx. 8 days in advance idea proposed above) and nothing there either...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.