Wiki Posts
Search

Standby Hierarchy?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2008, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, Hertz 5*, WN CP A-List, US SP
Question Standby Hierarchy?

Does anyone know the official protocol for clearing standby's?

I recently had a weather delay at MCI that caused my CP and I to miss our confirmed connection in DAL. The GA at MCI could not confirm our last segment to ELP until the following morning and suggested we stay in MCI. We decided to go to DAL and try our luck at a standby on the last published NS to ELP. I knew we had other options to the NS from DAL via a stop in AUS, SAT, HOU, & ABQ but that was never offered as an option by the GA's at MCI or DAL. We managed to get #1 & #2 on the standby list for the NS. In the meantime I decided our second best option to the NS was a non published DAL-ELP with a stop in AUS. As the GA for the NS was clearing the fight I witnessed the issuing of boarding passes to no less than eight pilots, only five of them had their names on the standby list which were of course near the bottom. I also overheard two of the pilots offering to trade with two of the other pilots if they did not get cleared. Finally the GA called our names but said only one seat was available. I asked the GA if the eight pilots just cleared were "must fly's" and all the GA could say was they were deadhead's. So I asked the GA to remove one b/c we were standby due to weather. The GA said that would not be possible. We argued for a minute more but in order to catch our next best option we decided to cut our losses and not talk to a supervisor. We did make it on the second flight. Was this a typical standby process?

Last edited by rndomtask; Jun 9, 2008 at 11:09 am
Old Jun 9, 2008, 11:47 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by rndomtask
As the GA for the NS was clearing the fight I witnessed the issuing of boarding passes to no less than eight pilots, only five of them had their names on the standby list which were of course near the bottom. I also overheard two of the pilots offering to trade with two of the other pilots if they did not get cleared. Finally the GA called our names but said only one seat was available. I asked the GA if the eight pilots just cleared were "must fly's" and all the GA could say was they were deadhead's. So I asked the GA to remove one b/c we were standby due to weather. The GA said that would not be possible.
If the pilots are deadheading, they most likely have to be in some place in order to fly a plane, either that night or the next morning. In the times I've been standby, due to weather, crew issues or whatever, I've always been #1/2 with my CP holder on the list. I've also given my seat to another person who had to be somewhere, and I had a better option that left later in the day. I don't think this weekend was a typical weekend though, since that was such a huge line of storms that passed over you guys in the midwest. Just be thankful you made it. I've been stuck in SAN a few years ago because there were no seats to TUS out of any airport and the GA in SJC wouldn't let me fly SJC-MDW-TUS to get home, because I was "nuts."
Old Jun 9, 2008, 1:16 pm

deadheading pilots will almost always get priority over any and all standby's. Think of it this way: either they can inconvenience you or they can inconvenience 137 people. Which would you do if you were the company?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.