Search

Biz Select Drinkie Coupon Question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Biz Select Drinkie Coupon Question

I booked a Biz Select ticket from SNA-SJC-SNA. I booked it mainly to use the Premium Security line at SNA that comes w/ Biz Select...but getting a couple of free drinks doesn't hurt either!

This was a <24 hour trip, so when I checked in at SNA (kiosk), the machine spit out both boarding passes...but it didn't spit out the coupons for my drinkies. I checked at the podium, and the agents printed them out for me. The coupons are on boarding pass cardstock and have your PNR on them.

I had to make a change to my return trip, and when I got to SJC and re-printed my boarding pass, it gave me another drink coupon. So now I have 3 drink coupons...all with the same PNR.

So, did I just get an extra free drink, or will I get a beat down some time in the future for using the third coupon? Do they scan these post flight and verify that only 2 coupons per PNR have ever been used? I'm not cheap...just curious...and ok...I AM cheap.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
WN probably is not going to give you too much grief over it, but it would be like the honor bar at the Marriott lounge - your word / honor that you won't abuse it.

I have only used a few BS drink coupons out of the dozens I've been issued, so maybe overall it balances out.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:00 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by auggie doggie
I'm not cheap...just curious...and ok...I AM cheap.
All of us are on FT because we are cheap!
Old Apr 29, 2008, 12:05 pm

Programs: SWA
Originally Posted by nsx
All of us are on FT because we are cheap!
We are here because we are "Fiscally Aware Consumers" (ok, cheap)
Old Apr 29, 2008, 2:16 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
I have only used a few BS drink coupons out of the dozens I've been issued, so maybe overall it balances out.
its actually quite heavy in favor of unused coupons. therefore, you should send yours to me, in order to balance it out
Old Apr 29, 2008, 2:26 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by auggie doggie
So, did I just get an extra free drink, or will I get a beat down some time in the future for using the third coupon? Do they scan these post flight and verify that only 2 coupons per PNR have ever been used?
Since nobody seems to know for sure, let me guess. I cannot imagine that Southwest would find it worth the cost to audit all these drink coupons. If this were to become a problem, I suppose they could write a program to flag discrepancies in coupons used vs Business Select fares purchased for each RR member. Even then, an extra coupon or two isn't going to warrant human involvement.

I'd bet that Southwest would be happy if you used 2 coupons for every Business Select flight you purchase, as long as this induced you to increase your purchases of Business Select.

In your case, you came by the extra coupon legitimately, so you have a perfect response to offer if they ever ask. But they won't.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 3:23 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nsx
Since nobody seems to know for sure, let me guess. I cannot imagine that Southwest would find it worth the cost to audit all these drink coupons. If this were to become a problem, I suppose they could write a program to flag discrepancies in coupons used vs Business Select fares purchased for each RR member. Even then, an extra coupon or two isn't going to warrant human involvement.
I posted in another thread today about these new fangled "kom-pute-ors" that Southwest is using for exactly such things ...

I would think that whoever gets those envelopes with all the cash and coupons from each flight takes each BS coupon and scans it in the computer. This would require little to no effort and in fact may make it easier for the person processing those envelopes by counting the BS coupons for them.

That being said, I seriously doubt that WN would worry about someone using an extra coupon here or there ... but if there were a pattern ...
Old Apr 29, 2008, 4:28 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by Beckles
I would think that whoever gets those envelopes with all the cash and coupons from each flight takes each BS coupon and scans it in the computer. This would require little to no effort and in fact may make it easier for the person processing those envelopes by counting the BS coupons for them.
i'm not so sure on this, and i'm sure one of the lovely FAs on FT can answer for us, but there appears to be little accountability for drinks. we all get them for free frequently, so why would they go through the hassle of scanning the BS coupons, instead of just tallying them up with the RR drink coupons? just my thoughts
Old Apr 29, 2008, 5:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by sammy0623
i'm not so sure on this, and i'm sure one of the lovely FAs on FT can answer for us, but there appears to be little accountability for drinks. we all get them for free frequently, so why would they go through the hassle of scanning the BS coupons, instead of just tallying them up with the RR drink coupons? just my thoughts
coupons and cash get turned in at the end of each flight, they aren't discarded. likely as nsx said they get scanned in by headquarters.

I agree that drinks aren't controlled very well. Who's to say the FA was giving away drinks on a 30 minute late flight or pocketing the cash for every drink that was sold. I once saw an FA take out 6 bottles of vodka and place them in his personal bag at the end of the flight... (which Southwest appreciated hearing from me...)
Old Apr 30, 2008, 7:22 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sammy0623
There's an entirely different thing between accountability for drinks and accountability for what gets put in the envelopes, I'm pretty sure that they do account for what gets put in the envelope (which includes cash).
Old Apr 30, 2008, 7:45 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Ummm, guys, you all are way overthinking this. Enjoy your drinks and relax, the coupon police aren't gonna knock on your door.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 7:58 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Originally Posted by Beckles
I posted in another thread today about these new fangled "kom-pute-ors" that Southwest is using for exactly such things ...

That being said, I seriously doubt that WN would worry about someone using an extra coupon here or there ... but if there were a pattern ...
I agree. I would imagine they put a barcode on these for a reason. Otherwise, what’s to stop someone from getting free drinks for life by photocopying mass quantities of a single BS drink ticket?
Old Apr 30, 2008, 8:02 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SWABrian
Ummm, guys, you all are way overthinking this.
We're FTers. It's what we do.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:11 am

Smile Cashless Cabin

When the cashless cabin comes online, the handheld machines could help with some of the issues over-thunked in this thread.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:42 am

OT, but related

Is the system smart enough that if you are age verified as UNDER 21, not to print off the BS drink coupons? My brother's under, so I was just wondering if the need arises if he would get drinks (to give to his esteemed brother, of course, i wouldn't want him running afoul of the law )

I know I read that if your RR account has an under bday, thne you won't get RR drink coupons...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.