Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The line problem: Another solution?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2008, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Lightbulb The line problem: Another solution?

Can the computer used in boarding be set to only allow passengers to board in the order of our group?

Experience is showing that the main remaining line problem (cutting) at the gate will be with us forever, and requires constant vigilance by GAs. As cited on this board, GAs still often aren't vigilant, whether it's neglect or they feel intimidated. I'm sure that they're constantly reminded by supervisors of the importance of this. This would be a tool that would take the heat off of them. I believe passengers would be more likely to "get it" if they knew it just wasn't possible to feign ignorance or give the GA the bum's rush. Part of the GA's announcement could be, "The computer won't allow passengers..."

I know -- what if someone with a low number arrives late? Well, then they have to go to the end of the line. Being there in timely fashion would be as important as checking in in timely fashion. This would become part of the paradigm. Over time, we would "get" that and adapt, too. Or it would be our own fault, as it always has been if we show up late.

Or, the computer could be programmed to just be sure that order is followed, and if a number is "skipped" it could still be "eligible" whenever it comes in afterwards. The human mind (GA) can keep track of this most of the time; the computer can keep track all the time.

We all have dealt with computers that enforce policy.....

SWABrian, this is for the suggestion box. Would you please pass it along? I do suppose that some among the thousands of Southwest gate agents have suggested this. So it might be a pretty quick turnaround, as to "why not."
Old Apr 22, 2008, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
IMHO this creates more problems than it resolves.

The new boarding process works just fine, and moving up/down one or two spots generally has no detrimental effect to the flyer.

The solution proposed by the OP would negatively affect those who are traveling together.

For example, if someone with boarding pass A-2 is traveling with a minor, who may have B-3, this process will prevent the guardian from boarding with the minor.

Not worth the hassle, imho, to try to rigorously control this.

IME I've seen people generally check with each other to confirm #'s when lining up.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 6:46 am

Programs: WN A-list/CP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plt,*wood Plt,F9 Summitt, Hyatt Diamond,
It's still a problem........

I seems that the WN GA's still have problems with announcements and enforcing BP order. Last week in ABQ we had A-29 and A-42 in front of A-listers hovering in the BS slot. Yes, they got away with it because no enforcement. I had A-17 and the gal (A-42) in front of me said in Jet way she does it all the time. No one ever turns her back. So much for A-list !
Same thing in SJC last thursday and Friday in SAN, line jumping will be a problem if allowed.

With devalued bennies being the rule today I guess I need to accept A-List as no big deal for me with no enforcement.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:02 am

I have resigned myself to the fact that the new boarding procedure is unenforceable. This is due both to passsengers who do not think that it applys to them (line jumpers) and GAs who are unable or unwilling to do their job as it relates to the order in which boarding is conducted. I think that SWA should take another look at ways to reward frequent flyers since this one can not be depended upon.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Those pesky rules

Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
For example, if someone with boarding pass A-2 is traveling with a minor, who may have B-3, this process will prevent the guardian from boarding with the minor...
Don't you have a problem with the rules, rather than with ways to make them work?

Put another way, yours is one of the violations this is to help deal with.

Or, do you mean that A-2 should get to go back and stand with B-3? I can't think of why the rules or the system would prohibit that. But it would be a needlessly expensive trip for A-2.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:22 am

Programs: WN A-list/CP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plt,*wood Plt,F9 Summitt, Hyatt Diamond,
Originally Posted by carraher
I have resigned myself to the fact that the new boarding procedure is unenforceable. This is due both to passsengers who do not think that it applys to them (line jumpers) and GAs who are unable or unwilling to do their job as it relates to the order in which boarding is conducted. I think that SWA should take another look at ways to reward frequent flyers since this one can not be depended upon.
Agreed, I am finally coming to same conclusion. When you line up as GA's announces and you encounter B and C's standing your spot it becomes unworkable. Last week in SJC the GA said to me" Yea, its total confusion" and shrugged it off. His announcements were less than helpful to end the confusion at gate.
As for WN taking a look at this I doubt they will, nor will OP's folks pay any attention. So much for A-list. I am on WN today and Thursday, next 3 weeks on F9. At least on F9 I get to pick my seat and frankly they have had better fares of late, bankrupt or not it matters.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 8:43 am

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
My experience, almost exclusively at LAS and LAX, has been that at least some gate agents have been enforcing the rules, not only sending a "B" away when the "A" group was boarding, but also sending an A31-60 person away when the A1-30 group was boarding. I can't be certain how closely they are enforcing the sequencing within the 1-30 or 31-60 numbers, although on a few occasions, they have called for boarding in smaller A1-15 and A16-30 groups.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I've had one gate agent call out "Now let's have my three business select passengers A1, A2, and A3". AND have had someone turn away people with #s ranging from A30-A50 to let the rest of the As board starting with 15.

But these ARE the rarity. so few gate agents care to enforce this. It's unfortunately definitely worth trying to board too early because there is nothing to lose. they just send you back to your right place or make you stand there until it's your turn.

Come on, WN. at LEAST program your computers to beep a warning when a passenger tries to board more than 5#s out of sequence. 5#s out of sequence is enough to allow for families standing together in "almost" the right spot because they checked in separately etc. Or have it refuse to scan a ticket more than 5-10#s out of sequence without the gate agent manually having to override the system. Once it becomes MORE work for the gate agent to override & let people board out of order, things will go much better.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Firewind
Don't you have a problem with the rules, rather than with ways to make them work?

Put another way, yours is one of the violations this is to help deal with.

Or, do you mean that A-2 should get to go back and stand with B-3? I can't think of why the rules or the system would prohibit that. But it would be a needlessly expensive trip for A-2.
Hmm? I'm not sure about that. From what I recall, the minor with the boarding pass B-3 would get to board with the adult with boarding pass A-2 right? Otherwise it doesn't seem appropriate for the adult to be penalized because the minor is not an A-lister.

Also, having flown quite a bit since the changeover, I find in general this is not a problem. Most people ask me what # I have, and I also ask others what # they have. With the passengers self check each other, it reduces the workload for the gate agents.

I have also encountered a few situations where the gate agent suitably pushed back on people who tried to board with the wrong group.

Not sure why the concern in this thread, but based upon my own extensive experience it has not been a problem one way or the other with the new boarding process.

Even if someone had gotten in front of me, in general, I have always gotten the seat I wanted almost every time.

I truly do not feel this is an issue that is that major.

I mean, has anyone here lost the seat they wanted because of someone cutting the line?
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by expert7700
I've had one gate agent call out "Now let's have my three business select passengers A1, A2, and A3". AND have had someone turn away people with #s ranging from A30-A50 to let the rest of the As board starting with 15.

But these ARE the rarity. so few gate agents care to enforce this. It's unfortunately definitely worth trying to board too early because there is nothing to lose. they just send you back to your right place or make you stand there until it's your turn.

Come on, WN. at LEAST program your computers to beep a warning when a passenger tries to board more than 5#s out of sequence. 5#s out of sequence is enough to allow for families standing together in "almost" the right spot because they checked in separately etc. Or have it refuse to scan a ticket more than 5-10#s out of sequence without the gate agent manually having to override the system. Once it becomes MORE work for the gate agent to override & let people board out of order, things will go much better.
Don't the passengers you've flown with check each other's #s to make sure they're correct?

I always do it under the pretex of checking whether I'm ahead of or behind the group of people I'm standing with. And almost every time, the other pax have asked me as well.

Also, have you lost the seat you wanted, and gotten a really bad seat, because of this problem?
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:08 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Or have it refuse to scan a ticket more than 5-10#s out of sequence without the gate agent manually having to override the system. Once it becomes MORE work for the gate agent to override & let people board out of order, things will go much better.
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! @:-)
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by nsx
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! @:-)
SWABrian: Can you code it into the system at the gate scanners for us?
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SWABrian: Can you code it into the system at the gate scanners for us?
LOL SWABrian is only a spokesperson. He can't code it into the system any more than we could code this change ourselves.

There's I.T. costs involved in making changes like these, and WN will have evaluate the cost versus benefit of making the boarding system more complex and rigid like this.

Again imho the problem doesn't warrant an IT fix, not from what I've seen so far. If this is a huge problem for the majority of you then I humbly apologize for my mistake.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:24 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
Again imho the problem doesn't warrant an IT fix, not from what I've seen so far. If this is a huge problem for the majority of you then I humbly apologize for my mistake.
It's an irritant, not a huge problem. The problem is that line jumpers will push the limits. It's like pulling weeds. Ignore them and they take over. Kill them off entirely and you have a lot less work over the long run.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
It's an irritant, not a huge problem. The problem is that line jumpers will push the limits. It's like pulling weeds. Ignore them and they take over. Kill them off entirely and you have a lot less work over the long run.
I'm curious, have you run into such people? I don't think I've run into anyone intentionally abusing the system.

The bigger problem I've had is that quite often I'll pick a good seat, and then a person of size will opt to sit down next to me after a good amount of people have boarded.

Even if a few jumped ahead of me, I've yet to experience a negative seating situation because of that.

I do agree this behavior needs to be monitored and stopped, but with the people I've stood in line asking each other boarding # questions, I haven't seen anyone who intentionally tried to cut the line.

That probably happens, again it's not material enough for me to worry about or imho for WN to spend I.T. money on to address. I'd rather they spend their money elsewhere enhancing WN (like improving the mobile site).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.