Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

ATA shutdown: No interlining past 5/3; BUT travel vouchers "as a gesture of goodwill"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATA shutdown: No interlining past 5/3; BUT travel vouchers "as a gesture of goodwill"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2008, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by tennster
I have to say that Southwest did much more than any reasonable person could expect them to do.
Agreed... Most (if not any other) airlines wouldn't buy OA tickets for a codeshare partner that went belly up. If they served the same route then they would carry them on their flight but that isn't possible in this case.

While WN wasn't able to do exactly what they said they would do, you have to step back and realize they have done a lot... and more than they needed to.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 5:01 pm

I smell a rat

As much as I luv these guys, I wonder if this is related to the earnings call next week.

The OP stated that the ATA rez were for late July. I checked on availability from LAX-HNL and guess what - seats available from every carrier. But I did this on Orbitz and maybe I should check the AA site. Asked for 6 tickets on AA.com late July and guess what - no problem.

I would be tempted to check out what is available for your dates and call SWA and tell em what you want. If they resist, do not go to Mike or Gary, go directly to CB. Tell em it's called "Do the Right Thing" and what would you want done if you were in my situation (Golden Rule - a key SWA Tenent.)

In the conf call next week, they have to be open and forthright about the cost of the ATA meltdown looking forward. This decision is a way for them to fence this liability in.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by kerflumexed
If they resist, do not go to Mike or Gary, go directly to CB.
What's his number?
Old Apr 10, 2008, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 650k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by reidlewis
What about people who have non-reundable hotel rooms or even a cruise departing from Hawaii? Not everyone has the funds to just buy a brand new set of plane tickets, especially after putting down cash for other things related to their vacation, such as lodging, etc.
Are the hotels showing no give? They've got to, or THEY'VE got a colossal customer relations fiasco if customers can't get there from here. Of course they're gasping, but what a mistake to compound it by screwing their customers out of money. Worth queries over on their boards - and more - perhaps?

Seems that customers "might ought", as some would say, to be working a multi-pronged effort in seeking relief.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 6:10 pm

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Originally Posted by blackburried
I'm hoping for a class action suite.
Is that where you will be staying in Hawaii?
Old Apr 10, 2008, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I really feel no sympathy for these stranded pax. As typical americans, they bought cheap, and did little to no research on the airline they were flying on. Had they done some googling, they would have seen that TZ was contemplating cancelling the Hawaii routes altogether. They would have also discovered TZ's future was riding on their military charters.

As someone else posted on this forum, hopefully next time these people will consider an airline that has better options and infrastructure at their destination.

Flying "WN" or their cabin-boy partner to an area as remote as Hawaii is not an option for me.

However, we *do* think it is better to refund existing, paid Southwest tickets on ATA flights, rather than to keep you waiting on options that would most probably be inferior to the great service that we had planned to provide for you.
I was prepared to write something positive about about WN's efforts in all this. However, after reading this smug little statement I am more inclined to write about the cult mentality of people who believe everything else flying to Hawaii is "inferior". ATA was not a "superior" airline in any sense. I flew them once, pre-WN assimilation, and I couldn't wait to get off that plane. When can I expect glazed-eye WN believers to come knocking on my door handing out pamphlets?
Old Apr 10, 2008, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I really feel no sympathy for these stranded pax. As typical americans, they bought cheap, and did little to no research on the airline they were flying on. Had they done some googling, they would have seen that TZ was contemplating cancelling the Hawaii routes altogether. They would have also discovered TZ's future was riding on their military charters.
Why should I have to research Southwests partner. I earned my rewards through Southwest and they have always been a great airline to fly on. I trusted them.
We have RR to Hawaii in July for 2 tickets and I bought a third for my daughter for $700+ I just had to purchase 3 RT's on United for $825.00 each. Our once in a lifetime vacation just got very expensive. We have been planning this trip for 2 years. Now we get our RR's back plus a couple vouchers. Its not like we can another trip in the next year. I am disappointed in WN. If they weren't going to make good on there flights I made through them I would have been in a different companies Reward program.

Mike
Old Apr 10, 2008, 8:24 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by blackburried
I called their customer service, received their emails, and even their blog at:

http://www.blogsouthwest.com/2008/04...waii/#comments

...said they'd re-accommodate; today they say we're SOL!
I have a plane to catch, so I'll make it quick. I agree that having customers wait for accommodation while others snap up the seats, then telling the customers sorry about that is really bad. The customers relied on Southwest.

Second, sorry for the delay in your post. It required manual approval due to inclusion of a URL.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I'm disappointed in your opinion, Byrd. These folks didn't just buy a ticket on a frequent flyer partner of WN's -- they bought tickets DIRECTLY from WN! It is not unreasonable for WN's loyal customers to rely on the full faith and credit of this very well established and prosperous airline. If I buy a ticket from Southwest Airlines, I expect Southwest to get me to my final destination. Period.

As far as WN's actions go, I'm a little disappointed, but not surprised. In case you couldn't tell, I was using this forum to try to put a little pressure on WN to do "the right thing" here. I was a little disappointed that few others joined me in this effort. I wanted WN to know that, even in these challenging times, its customers "expect more" from them, and that there reputation was more valuable than saving a few bucks. So much for that.

Obviously, this was a cost-saving decision. They ran the numbers, and decided they didn't want to take the financial hit. We've seen fares from the West Coast to Hawaii jump sharply since Aloha and ATA folded (see related articles), and apparently WN wasn't having much success securing transport at what it considered a reasonable price.

It might have been better for WN to just say this. Explain what the per pax cost was going to be, and why they couldn't pay that. If the number was outrageous, I think their pax would have respected it. I also think WN should do something more for folks who have non-changable plans, like expensive Priceline hotel rooms (I know there have been times when I've had more than $500 in Hawaiian hotel rooms booked on Priceline).

I also wonder why WN didn't reveal the value of the vouchers. They should be generous. I think $500 to $1000 would be appropriate. If the reaccomodation costs were truly sky-high, WN shouldn't cheap out on the alternative voucher.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, I'm fascinated by the claim in the WN email that they had "more than 20,000 Customers . . . . scheduled to travel to Hawaii on ATA Airlines' service after May 3"

I feel like that "Numbers Guy" at the WSJ, but do the math here.

Wasn't WN only selling ATA seats through the end of the WN schedule?

So wouldn't that compute to almost 200 customers A DAY who had WN reservations for ATA through the current August schedule end?

Seems like an awful lot to already be booked. If it's true, I'm surprised it wasn't enough to keep ATA in business.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tennster
I have to say that Southwest did much more than any reasonable person could expect them to do.
I agree to an extent (and I'm no longer even a WN fan). For all the moaning, the money was returned (and a travel voucher given). Yes people who bought a ticket from A to B weren't transported from A to B. Since they couldn't, they gave the money back, and did so with enough time to re-book.

But it wasn't MORE than a reasonable person would expect. Reasonable would be a full refund, which is what was given.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
As someone else posted on this forum, hopefully next time these people will consider an airline that has better options and infrastructure at their destination.

Flying "WN" or their cabin-boy partner to an area as remote as Hawaii is not an option for me.
Agree 100%. As soon as you leave the 48 states you better pick a vendor with options. Or you're taking your chances.

Originally Posted by escapades
Why should I have to research Southwests partner. I earned my rewards through Southwest and they have always been a great airline to fly on. I trusted them.
This is where FT is most helpful. If the goal was Hawaii no way I'd have ever recommended WN - you're always best saving up for an airline that can take you to your favored destination on its own metal, or has at least 2 partners to said destination. UA had Aloha, but even without it has multiple flights to the islands on its own metal. If I need to go to Asia I have UA, SQ, NH, Asiana, TG, which is why I picked UA. Superior program all around. If the goal was only within 48 states, then WN is very reasonable given sheer # of flights.

On the bright side, you have a good start towards free tickets on United now, and you will have nearly 3 free tickets on WN for future use.

Hopefully they provide extension of expiration date on the re-instated awards!!!
Old Apr 11, 2008, 6:22 am

Programs: OnePass, HawaiianMiles, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles, Amex MR, SPG, Hhonors
Angry

Originally Posted by iahphx
Well, I'm disappointed in your opinion, Byrd. These folks didn't just buy a ticket on a frequent flyer partner of WN's -- they bought tickets DIRECTLY from WN! It is not unreasonable for WN's loyal customers to rely on the full faith and credit of this very well established and prosperous airline. If I buy a ticket from Southwest Airlines, I expect Southwest to get me to my final destination. Period.
Exactly.

As far as WN's actions go, I'm a little disappointed, but not surprised. In case you couldn't tell, I was using this forum to try to put a little pressure on WN to do "the right thing" here. I was a little disappointed that few others joined me in this effort. I wanted WN to know that, even in these challenging times, its customers "expect more" from them, and that there reputation was more valuable than saving a few bucks. So much for that.
I wish I had gotten to this forum sooner so that I could join you in your efforts.

Obviously, this was a cost-saving decision. They ran the numbers, and decided they didn't want to take the financial hit. We've seen fares from the West Coast to Hawaii jump sharply since Aloha and ATA folded (see related articles), and apparently WN wasn't having much success securing transport at what it considered a reasonable price.

It might have been better for WN to just say this. Explain what the per pax cost was going to be, and why they couldn't pay that. If the number was outrageous, I think their pax would have respected it. I also think WN should do something more for folks who have non-changable plans, like expensive Priceline hotel rooms (I know there have been times when I've had more than $500 in Hawaiian hotel rooms booked on Priceline).
Yes. WN lied stating that the reason they are hanging us out to dry is "due to the extreme reduction in seat capacity." The true reason is more like due to the extreme increase in seat prices, or due to the extreme reduction this would cause in our profits. Additionally, WN won't do anything about people's hotels, cruises, etc. They aren't really doing anything about the flights. According to WN's own contract of carriage, Article 85.A, they will transport you on the carrier's next flight (this is now impossible) or offer a refund. So, what WN is doing now is really no different than their normal business practice. The only exception is that they are offering a voucher. During a call to customer service, I found out that the amount is $200 per ticket.

I also wonder why WN didn't reveal the value of the vouchers. They should be generous. I think $500 to $1000 would be appropriate. If the reaccomodation costs were truly sky-high, WN shouldn't cheap out on the alternative voucher.
This post is already long so I will try to keep my story short. On the day that this happened, I received an email from WN stating that they would reaccommodate me or give me my $$ back. I, like many other customers, had incorrectly assumed that the choice was mine. I had 2 tickets, one paid for with $$, the other with loyalty (RR tkt). When I called the reaccommodation line on April 9th, the agent told me that they would only refund my $$ and give me my RR tkt back. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and I was denied. I called Customer Service at their HQ the following morning(4/10), the gentleman with whom I spoke told me the same thing. He put me on hold to check with his manager at my insistance, and came back with the same answer. Neither time did either of them mention a voucher. I imagine that the voucher was thrown in when they figured many people who felt screwed would become ex-customers, if they didn't sweeten the pot a little. $200 might be enough to get some people to come back and try WN again.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 7:06 am

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 1:46 pm
Old Apr 11, 2008, 9:28 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN CP, Hilton Diamond
It is horrible how WN is screwing their customers. For good press they claimed to be the nice guys for a week and that they would help everyone out. Now they are turning around and stabbing their customers in the back.

Even if they send out $500 vouchers that does not make up the difference in what most will be paying for their new tickets to Hawaii. It is horrible to think how many once-a-year vacations are ruined by WN.

If AA cancels a flight or even has a schedule change they give the customer much freedom when rebooking their trip. Instead of assisting the customer, WN is canceling their entire trip.

I think it is even worse when you consider that WN has the same policy for their passengers flying on RR tickets. These people were loyal to WN and now WN is treating them like crap. If you only have one big trip a year, now you have to pay for your flight. Since they are redepositing the RR, now you have to book two additional trips within the year. Actually maybe only one since seats only seem to be available as Freedom Awards.

The only reason I didn't get screwed by any of this is because I have a CP and it didn't cover travel on ATA. I am disappointed in WN. They have been irritating me for the last year or so. I will still fly them when it is convenient for me, but I will not concentrate on earning the CP anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.