Search

Getting to OAK might not be fun for a while

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2007, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Getting to OAK might not be fun for a while

With the collapse of the ramp to 580-East and 80W to 880S connector, getting to OAK won't be much fun if you are coming from SF as 880 South is going to be packed. From Berkeley you will have to divert through downtown Oakland which won't be too nice either.

Best solution will be to use BART if that works for your plans.

People going North to OAK (from San Jose, or perhaps across the San Mateo bridge through Hayward) shouldn't be impacted quite as much.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 8:45 am

We will be renting a car at Oakland and driving to Santa Rosa next week. Usually we just drive up past Berkeley and then take the Richmond Bridge to San Rafael and 101 North. Is this still feasible? TIA
Old Apr 30, 2007, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by carraher
We will be renting a car at Oakland and driving to Santa Rosa next week. Usually we just drive up past Berkeley and then take the Richmond Bridge to San Rafael and 101 North. Is this still feasible? TIA
I think you'll be unaffected going north. When you come back just take 580 East to 980 South to get back on 880 south......I think.....

Of course, the big unknown is what other connectors will they have to close in order to work on the two that are down.

Matt
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:46 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Travel from OAK, up 880 and across the Bay bridge yesterday was very smooth. I don't think I want to do it this morning, though...
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 2MM, WN CP & A-List +, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold,
mfox is correct: no effect northbound from 880 to 80.

Coming back, where you would normally connect from 80 to 880 in Emeryville, you would now go: 80 to 580 to 980 to 880.

You can find a map at: http://www.511.org/promo/baybridge/accident.asp

Last edited by richee; Apr 30, 2007 at 10:56 am
Old Apr 30, 2007, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
No detours going 880 North after you exit OAK if you are heading towards downtown Oakland, San Francisco, Berkeley, Sacramento, and other points North or East of OAK.

No detours going 880 South after you exit OAK if you are heading South towards Hayward, San Mateo (via bridge), San Jose and points South or East.

However, as noted above the ramp from 80 West to 880 South is destroyed. So you will have to take the 980 detour described above if you are going South from Berkeley towards OAK.

Traffic was very light yesterday and today but I wouldn't want to be driving in the east bay tomorrow during afternoon rush hour. The closure of a ramp that carries 200,000 vehicles a day (many during late afternoon/evening) is going to impact all the surrounding roads including the bay bridge (eastbound) and 880 North and South which goes to/from OAK. So the point of my post - you should allow extra time to get to/from OAK during rush hour or simply take bart which will be running extra-long trains.
Old May 6, 2007, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriot Gold, Qantas Silver, Hertz Pres. Circle
Flew three times out of Oakland last week. Traffic was easier than it usually is.
Old May 7, 2007, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SWA Rapid Rewards, Alaska Air Mileage Plan, AAdvantage, CX Marco Polo
80West to 880S Connector Reopened

The I-80 westbound (towards San Francisco) to I-880 South connector ramp(towards Oakland Airport, and San Jose) just reopened, ahead of schedule, today. So if you're headed back to OAK from points north (e.g. Napa Valley, Sacramento), there is no need to do a detour.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...AG4UPMHK03.DTL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.