Wiki Posts
Search

Article: Cattle call may stay

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2006, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Article: Cattle call may stay

Baltimore Sun article:

Southwest Airlines' chief said yesterday that a summer experiment in assigning seats yielded mixed results and more research is needed to decide whether the carrier can - and should - abandon its distinctive first-come, first-served seating.
Also:
Southwest does not plan on launching service at new airports in 2007, after three years in a row of additions. But it will likely add flights to its network.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...ness-headlines
Old Oct 6, 2006, 12:45 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
When systematic delays arise, the open seating system makes it possible to rapidly accommodate passengers on the next available flight until it's full. If seat assignments needed to be negotiated with the passengers, I doubt that the current staff could accomplish this feat in the available time.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
As we've discused, the summer experiment at SAN was horribly designed -- they told people where to sit rather than allowing passengers to reserve seats like every other airline. I'm surprised they describe it as "mixed results" -- I assumed the results would be disastrous.

Assigned seats on Southwest are inevitable. There's a vocal minority who like open seating, which skews all the public discussion of the topic. Anyway, I won't rehash that discussion since we've had it ad nauseum here.

Anyway, I thought the most interesting thing in the article was the fact that Southwest will not add any new cities in 2007.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 1:50 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by justageek
Anyway, I thought the most interesting thing in the article was the fact that Southwest will not add any new cities in 2007.
Agreed. Do you think it is due to expansion exhaustion, or that they don't have access to enough new aircraft to support another round of expansion?
Old Oct 6, 2006, 2:53 pm

Programs: Delta
They can probably use any new aircraft to add flights at IAD, DEN, and PHL (and maybe some new DAL one-stops).

But it's certainly interesting that they're publicly announcing that they won't launch service at any new airport for the next 15 months. Maybe they are trying to stake out their territory with AirTran and JetBlue. In other words, "We're not going to launch service at ATL or LGA/JFK or BOS or MSP, so please stay out of our way at BWI, IAD, MDW." (And perhaps B6's DAL challenge or FL's BWI-DTW route.)
Old Oct 6, 2006, 3:16 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Assigned seats on Southwest are inevitable. There's a vocal minority who like open seating, which skews all the public discussion of the topic.
However, there is a counter-skewing in that these forums are heavily populated by frequent flyer elites, for whom assigned seating is more beneficial than for a general traveler with no status (especially a late booking business traveler, who gets last pick of assigned seats if s/he has no status).
Old Oct 6, 2006, 4:40 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Originally Posted by nsx
When systematic delays arise, the open seating system makes it possible to rapidly accommodate passengers on the next available flight until it's full. If seat assignments needed to be negotiated with the passengers, I doubt that the current staff could accomplish this feat in the available time.
I don't want assigned seating to begin with, but perhaps if it does move forward, this aspect can be rectified by informing passengers in the contract of carriage or whatever else would govern it that in a delay situation (cancellations, mis-connects), if the flight you are to fly on is not your originally scheduled flight, you lose any seating assignment and all remaining seats on the airplane are open seating.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 9:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, MR Plat, PC Plat
When I have to fly SW, I would perfer the circus seating. It just makes things easier.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 12:23 pm

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
I concur - with a caveat. The statement in the article stated, "Southwest does not plan (emphasis added) on launching service at new airports in 2007." Southwest has been very opportunistic over the years and should such an unique opportunity present itself in 2007, I would not be the least surprised to see them take advantage of the circumstances and add a new city. Why should they tip their hand to the competition at this stage?
Old Oct 7, 2006, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by curbcrusher
Agreed. Do you think it is due to expansion exhaustion, or that they don't have access to enough new aircraft to support another round of expansion?
With regards to no new cities in 2007, the following article from aviationnow.com goes into more detail.

Southwest's Momentum Stalls;
Used Boeing 737-700 to Join Fleet

Mike
Old Oct 7, 2006, 2:13 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike
With regards to no new cities in 2007, the following article from aviationnow.com goes into more detail.

Southwest's Momentum Stalls;
Used Boeing 737-700 to Join Fleet

Mike

Southwest will likely take 2007 to build frequencies within its existing markets rather than add new cities, reports CEO Gary Kelly, especially due to concern over a recent slowing of the strong revenue and yield growth seen during the summer.
That's a smart move. Monopolizing target markets with high frequency, as they have done for many intra-California routes, wins the high-yield business travelers.
"The momentum has stalled," Kelly told The DAILY yesterday in Washington. "We're not hitting our earnings targets." Southwest in early September warned that unit revenue growth in the third quarter would be less than 10% due to traffic and revenue trends (DAILY, Sept. 7). Kelly said yesterday the stalled growth is directly tied to the Aug. 10 terrorism scare that led to new airport security restrictions.
So I actually have not been imagining the low load factors intra-California. I wish Kelly luck with the new strategy. I believe JetBlue is doing much the same, going for depth of service rather than breadth.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 3:00 pm

Programs: WN, Marriott, Choice
I just had to book an itinerary that isn't available on WN. My account with the carrier I'm using has a balance of about 3k non-expiring miles and 0 Elite quals. So guess where I'm sitting??

On WN, I'd have that "A" BP firmly in hand upon arrival at the boarding chute.
Don't look at this being a cattle call.... it's a rodeo!
Old Oct 7, 2006, 4:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Assigned seats on Southwest are inevitable. There's a vocal minority who like open seating, which skews all the public discussion of the topic. Anyway, I won't rehash that discussion since we've had it ad nauseum here.
Personally I think assigned seating makes sense for long-haul flights, but for short-haul, high frequency routes, I think it just adds needless red tape and customer service workload. Just stand near the podium at a legacy carrier some time and watch how many pax complain about being seated apart from travel companions, or whine about their seat assignment and try to cajole the agent into an exit row or u/g.

Originally Posted by nsx
Agree 100%

Last edited by EIPremier; Oct 7, 2006 at 4:24 pm
Old Oct 7, 2006, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by Nevada1K
I concur - with a caveat. The statement in the article stated, "Southwest does not plan (emphasis added) on launching service at new airports in 2007." Southwest has been very opportunistic over the years and should such an unique opportunity present itself in 2007, I would not be the least surprised to see them take advantage of the circumstances and add a new city. Why should they tip their hand to the competition at this stage?
Well, if they're planning to add new city(s), then their statement in the article is an outright lie. If they don't want to tip their hand to the competition but actually are planning to add new cities, then they should just say we are considering one or more expansion cities but have not made any concrete decision at this time. They've said that many, many times before, and it's a perfectly acceptable thing to say.

I would assume they are not lying, and that they are really not planning to add any new cities in 2007.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 7:22 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Well, if they're planning to add new city(s), then their statement in the article is an outright lie.
Not planning to do something is not quite the same as planning not to do it. The latter is an affirmative plan to avoid something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.