Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN line at MDW out to the parking garage?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2006, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
WN line at MDW out to the parking garage?

Just half-heard something on the radio about WN baggage-check lines at MDW extending all the way deep into the parking garage.

Was it that bad yesterday or were they talking about last week? Anybody know? Thanks.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:04 am
CVV

that was what was pictured on last night's channel 32 Fox News. Seemed to be the current status of things.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:31 am

Goodness. The wife and I have a two-day trip to St Louis on Saturday and I think we're going to take our 22-inch roller bag on the plane. (Leaving all liquids and gels at home, of course.)
Old Aug 15, 2006, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Just use the CP line. Problem solved.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Old Aug 15, 2006, 7:54 pm

Location: Midwest United States (and anywhere a cheap fare takes me)
Programs: Marriott (Gold), Hilton (Gold), SWA (CP), Hertz (5*), UA (Nobody), AA (Lifetime Gold)
It's Midway

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
It's Midway...no elite lines for anyone.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:19 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by ejmelton
It's Midway...no elite lines for anyone.
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic...

But that does raise an interesting question -- is MDW served by any airline with an elite program? I know UA and AA have pulled out...
Old Aug 16, 2006, 2:09 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
There are not and have never been elite lines at Midway even for airlines that have elite lines at other airports. However, security is usually not very long there. On Friday, after waiting 50 minutes to check my bag at Airtran, security was about 2 minutes. On Monday when I returned, security did not look much longer.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:11 am

Programs: WN A-List
I agree, while the security line can be quite long at MDW, it always moves fairly quickly (at least compared to ORD.) I think the long baggage check lines have to do with the limited check-in area (ie., size) at MDW for all of the airlines. So the lesson is, don't check your bag and head straight for security.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Dunbar
I agree, while the security line can be quite long at MDW, it always moves fairly quickly (at least compared to ORD.) I think the long baggage check lines have to do with the limited check-in area (ie., size) at MDW for all of the airlines. So the lesson is, don't check your bag and head straight for security.
In the old days, no problem. Now..... not so much.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 3:26 pm

Location: Midwest United States (and anywhere a cheap fare takes me)
Programs: Marriott (Gold), Hilton (Gold), SWA (CP), Hertz (5*), UA (Nobody), AA (Lifetime Gold)
Originally Posted by justageek
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic...
Think so?

Going to your question, as of today:

American
United
Northwest
Delta
Continental

Had departures with elites that had to hang with the rest of us.

Back to the OP, the "long line into the parking lot" was the security line, not baggage check in. I've been in that long line and, while it makes for great TV, it only took about an hour to get from the ramp that leads to the parking lot to the x-ray machines.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec PLT; Marriott PLAT
Fortunately, United will no longer server mdw sept 5 ^

Think so?

Going to your question, as of today:

American
United
Northwest
Delta
Continental

Had departures with elites that had to hang with the rest of us.

Back to the OP, the "long line into the parking lot" was the security line, not baggage check in. I've been in that long line and, while it makes for great TV, it only took about an hour to get from the ramp that leads to the parking lot to the x-ray machines.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

Thanks for the clarification. Do you know how long the WN baggage check line is these days?
Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Just half-heard something on the radio about WN baggage-check lines at MDW extending all the way deep into the parking garage.
I am surprised we did not get the "spin" on this from WN.

No more walking to terminal from parking. Just get in line once you get out of your car!
Old Oct 2, 2006, 6:24 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
Sorry to bump this up, but I'm traveling out of MDW soon and checked online at Southwest.com for recommended arrival times. They are recommending two hours prior to your flight - is this really necessary? I don't want to miss my flight (it's the last one out that night to my destination), but getting there two hours early means leaving work early and all kinds of other transportation issues.

Has anyone been out of there lately on a Friday night for a 7:10pm flight that could comment on the length of the check in/security lines?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.