Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

What's in a name? MHT considers adding "Boston" to its name

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's in a name? MHT considers adding "Boston" to its name

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2006, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Renaming ISP would be less deceptive than adding "Boston" to MHT's name, since Islip is actually in the State of New York.
Hardly. ISP is a solid 50 or so miles from Manhattan - and consider what you have to go through to get there - LIE, Queensboro Bridge, not a pleasant trip. At rush hour, this could easily take two hours.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by LPCJr
Hardly. ISP is a solid 50 or so miles from Manhattan - and consider what you have to go through to get there - LIE, Queensboro Bridge, not a pleasant trip. At rush hour, this could easily take two hours.
I don't think this contradicts FWAAA's point. MHT is 55 miles from Boston (according to the OP) and not even in the same state as Boston. ISP is arguably more New York than MHT is Boston.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
The airport is in the town of Islip, New York. Putting new york in the name would be a little shady, but not really deceptive.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 7:48 am

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
The Manchester City Council has voted to do it.....WHDH story

I wonder how many naive people going to Boston will try to save a couple bucks flying into MHT, hop in a cab, and have their eyes bug out when they find out how far it is to Boston? People who don't do their homework might get a rude surprise.....

On the other hand, my brother lives a couple miles from the MHT airport and it's soooo easy dealing with MHT when it makes sense to.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAzip
The Manchester City Council has voted to do it.....WHDH story

I wonder how many naive people going to Boston will try to save a couple bucks flying into MHT, hop in a cab, and have their eyes bug out when they find out how far it is to Boston? People who don't do their homework might get a rude surprise.....

On the other hand, my brother lives a couple miles from the MHT airport and it's soooo easy dealing with MHT when it makes sense to.
Hey, at least they put Boston second!

It's way more confusing in some other places. In Belgium, for example, Brussels has BRU in a nearby suburb (Zaventem), but then 40ish miles south there's a completely different and unconnected city called Charleroi whose airport has not a Charleroi-Brussels name but a Brussels-Charleroi name! (Only Ryan Air and LOT fly there.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.