Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crash Cost for Southwest?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2005, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Red face Crash Cost for Southwest?

Any idea how much $$$ this will cost Southwest?
Old Dec 9, 2005, 2:49 am
cxn

Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
This isnt a crash. And you shouldnt smile. A child died in this accident.

Having a son myself I am not happy you make light of this situation.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 3:08 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cxn
This isnt a crash. And you shouldnt smile. A child died in this accident.

Having a son myself I am not happy you make light of this situation.
In fairness to the OP it's a red face "smilie" which, to this reader at least, could be read as him showing embarrassment for asking about $$$ costs when a child's life had been lost.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 3:57 am

Programs: AA Exec PLT; Marriott PLAT
I think this is a reasonable question to ask, one that probably many people at Southwest corporate are trying to answer now. It doesn't mean that they're insensitive to the fatality or that they're not hurt by what happened.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Red face not red

Originally Posted by oiRRio
In fairness to the OP it's a red face "smilie" which, to this reader at least, could be read as him showing embarrassment for asking about $$$ costs when a child's life had been lost.
nope. it's not red. it's purple which could mean cheers
Old Dec 9, 2005, 7:01 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by kb1992
No, it means red face. Check the post icons (after you click "post reply")and place your mouse over it and it says red face.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 8:09 am

They without a doubt have insurance for this kind of thing, so I would guess the main concern, from a financial perspective, is how much their rates are going to go up at their next renewal and what their deductibles are. As for worrying about losing business because of this, I would think that's a non-issue. I don't see people not flying WN because of this. The only immediate concern they'll have is getting back on schedule and losing a little sleep while they institute a PR campaign they've no doubt practiced many times.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:01 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Don't most large airlines self insure?
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
No, not entirely. Most aircraft are insured. Some losses will be insured. But, honestly, it's a complex situation and, undoubtedly, will be tied up in courts for years. That's why I'm sure that WN has good lawyers on retainer.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarryJ
Don't most large airlines self insure?
Probably depends on the type of risk and the extent of the exposure. I assume most airlines carry liability coverage to cover crash losses that could possibly run into the hundreds of millions of dollars (large aircraft, complete loss, many fatalities).

In AA's securities filings, it has disclosed that the liability resulting from the Flight 587 disaster (November, 2001) is expected to be covered by various insurance policies.

AA insured the DC-10 lost in the tragedy of Flight 191 (May, 1979) for replacement cost and promptly received a check for $50 million from the insurer.

With even new 737s costing tens of millions of dollars, I would hope that airlines would carry insurance covering their possible loss. Since hull losses are very infrequent, I assume such coverage is not all that costly.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992
Colors have different meaning in different places. Go to Compton and purple means you're gang neutral. I honestly do not think anyone was saying "cheers!" to this accident.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:53 pm

1) Aircraft repairs - probably insured, probably not a big deal
2) Lawsuits - people on the ground, in the plane, and especially the family of the poor boy will very likely pursue this. These costs will probably be very high, but will again be covered by insurance of some sort for the most part
3) Lost business - They have 1 plane out of service for some time, even if it will be repaired for free. They'll also lose some amount of business (very likely a tiny slice) from people shying away after this
4) PR - This is the big one (IMHO). Southwest has built up an excellent reputation for safety, but some people will question it after this. Also, this may have some impact on peoples emotions (esp regarding Love Field) - "I don't want an airport close to me" will become a stronger force.
5) PR relief for others - All of a sudden the AA / Air Marshall shooting is off the front page of every web site I checked. The Delta strike talk can't breach the front page either. The negative aspects of those things suddenly shrink in comparison - so AA/Delta get off a bit easier than they would have.

All IMHO.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by uthornsgo
As for worrying about losing business because of this, I would think that's a non-issue. I don't see people not flying WN because of this.
I wouldn't be so quick to make that statement. I live outside of Chicago, and while I trust Southwest airlines as much as I trust any other airline, after this, I'm going to be sticking with flights into Chicago O'Hare during the winter. It seems hard to argue with the fact that flying into Midway during terrible weather conditions is riskier than flying into O'Hare during terrible weather conditions. And, unfortuantely, avoiding Midway during the winter also means avoding Southwest for my Chicago flights.

It may be slightly irrational -- I mean, I recognize that safety is a top concern for everyone, and that Midway would never intentionally put anyone at risk... but this kind of thing is simply more likely to happen at MDW than ORD.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA,UA,WN
The stock was down a fraction as I just checked.

Last edited by nsx; Dec 9, 2005 at 2:16 pm
Old Dec 9, 2005, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by mt.sthelens
The stock was down a fraction as I just checked.
Short it, buy to cover and then go long!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.