Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest gets two thumbs up from me.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2005, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Southwest gets two thumbs up from me.

I have status with Northwest and United. A recent project had me flying SWA weekly for the last three months. I had flown them before occasionally but preferred the traditional carriers for upgrades, etc.

Out of my 30+ legs, I had 0 cancelations and only 3 late departures with the worst being 60 minutes. Wow!

I really can't say enough about the employees that SW finds. I can't remember a single instance where any attitude was displayed. None, ever.

I also managed to misbook 5 flights when I booked them a few weeks out in a single session, and once again had no trouble and, more importantly, no additional costs when I realized my mistake.

Awesome airline.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 11:51 am

Glad to hear my airline has taken good care of you. We're not perfect but, most of the time we try awfully hard.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 7:01 pm

Location: Orlando, FL, home of the biggest human trap built by a mouse!
I like SWA's hiring philosophy... hire for attitude, train for aptitude.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 8:47 am

Programs: Delta
My experience has been similar. Was NW Silver before flying WN. In 2 years of WN CP status:

0 cancelled flights.
Few delays, mostly due to weather (T-storms).
All experiences with WN employees friendly/professional.
Had a misbooked discount flight changed for me with no problems, no charges, and a smile.
Peanuts and full drink service on every flight, even fully packed MDW-DTW (sometimes as short as 31 minutes in the air).
FAs have even comped my drinks 2 or 3 times.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cabinpressure
FAs have even comped my drinks 2 or 3 times.
Bailey's+ Coffee is always better when it's free.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by michaelr
I have status with Northwest and United. A recent project had me flying SWA weekly for the last three months. I had flown them before occasionally but preferred the traditional carriers for upgrades, etc.

Out of my 30+ legs, I had 0 cancelations and only 3 late departures with the worst being 60 minutes. Wow!

I really can't say enough about the employees that SW finds. I can't remember a single instance where any attitude was displayed. None, ever.

I also managed to misbook 5 flights when I booked them a few weeks out in a single session, and once again had no trouble and, more importantly, no additional costs when I realized my mistake.

Awesome airline.
Are you a WN employee? I'm going to barf here.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 8:52 pm

Programs: United 1K
I'm a CO Platinum Elite and AA Platinum. and find flying coach on WN a nicer experience.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K//DL Plat//Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by MIKEM
Are you a WN employee? I'm going to barf here.
Are you a WN nobody? Oh yeah you are. That's why you don't understand why people appreciate the product they get from WN. Enjoy getting poor service.

dave.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by davelikestofly
Are you a WN nobody? Oh yeah you are. That's why you don't understand why people appreciate the product they get from WN. Enjoy getting poor service.

dave.
Dave, don't get me wrong here - WN is what it is. I fly between 12-30 WN segments per year, on any given year. FYI, we put the programs we use next to our names. Thus, "WN Nobody." Because, as we all know, everybody is a nobody at WN (except CP holders).

I do not agree with you that WN has poor service - all in all it's pretty good. As a matter of fact, I had exceptional treatment two days ago on my WN BUR-LAS flight. The gate agent allowed me and my three workmates to catch the earlier flight 10 minutes before the departure time - we walked up 10 minutes before the departure time.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:08 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by MIKEM
everybody is a nobody at WN (except CP holders).
CP holders get ZERO preferential treatment. And it's not from lack of trying.

WN passengers are treated better than coach passengers on any other US airline except B6, in my opinion. Yes it's a bus, but it's a friendly bus. So what if we're all Bozos?
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
WN passengers are treated better than coach passengers on any other US airline except B6, in my opinion. So what if we're all Bozos?
I will concede the point - although it may be too general. As far as Bozos, us FTer's are the real Bozo's.

nsx, technically, was the GA allowed to ticket me onto an earlier flight 10 minutes before departure - I paid the price of the ticket difference? Literally, the plane was completely boarded and all. I was impressed.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 7:12 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by nsx
Yes it's a bus, but it's a friendly bus.

Good summary. In fact, with WNs history of not taking themselves too seriously in their advertising, your quote above would make a good advertising slogan.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 8:08 am

Programs: United 1K
The leather seats on WN have more cushion padding and are more comfortable than all other domestic airlines except JetBlue.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 11:33 am

Programs: WN A-List
The other nice thing about WN is with lower load factors there's a increased chance of having an empty middle ^
Old Oct 1, 2005, 11:37 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Dunbar
The other nice thing about WN is with lower load factors there's a increased chance of having an empty middle ^
Furthermore, open seating allows you to dramatically increase your chance of scoring a seat next to that empty middle. Just sit one or two rows aft of the exit. That's where you'll find me, the last of the Oakland A's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.