Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Crackdown on Ebay Rapid Rewards Voucher Sales????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crackdown on Ebay Rapid Rewards Voucher Sales????

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2005, 9:38 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by L Dude 7
You forgot to mention the losers:
1) All Southwest fliers that buy their tickets. They have to pay more for the tickets because the buyer dishonestly frauded Southwest out of $200+
2) Other frequent fliers that accumulate large amounts of RR tickets. Because some people choose to violate the rules and sell tickets, the airline is forced to crackdown on award redemptions. This has resulted in some people receiving letters after (honestly) giving their tickets away. It may also lead to increased restrictions on the ticket redemptions (capacity controls, blackouts, restricted transfers)
3) Southwest. They have lost revenue. They have also needed to devote additional resources to deal with people who violate the terms and conditions of the reward program.

There are plenty of ways to make money selling Rapid Rewards tickets. However, they are all in violation of the terms of the program, which specifically states that the reward tickets cannot be sold.
^

Last edited by JS; Jul 15, 2005 at 9:41 am
Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:06 am

Programs: Hilton Hhonors, Starwood, AAdvantage, Us AirWays Dividend Miles Southwest Rapid Rewards
Ebay RR auction crackdown seems effective

My gosh. Ebay really does seem to be cracking down on RR sales. Checked today and only two auctions for RR vouchers. I remember only 2 months ago I checked and there were about 4 pages of RR auctions going on.
I got my RR auction canceled about a month ago before it started.

This sucks
Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:30 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
For years I have argued that an ebay crackdown was critical to allowing RR to remain a generous program, free of capacity controls. Sigh.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 10:50 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by nsx
For years I have argued that an ebay crackdown was critical to allowing RR to remain a generous program, free of capacity controls. Sigh.
Uh oh, don't get you-know-who started on capaticy controls.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maxima01
My gosh. Ebay really does seem to be cracking down on RR sales. Checked today and only two auctions for RR vouchers. I remember only 2 months ago I checked and there were about 4 pages of RR auctions going on.
I got my RR auction canceled about a month ago before it started.

This sucks
I just found 73 under the search terms "Southwest Voucher". Which is about 1/3 - 1/2 of the number there used to previously be for sale at any one time. Hmmmmmmm.........come to think of it, SWA has devalued RR in half since then, so I guess the number is correct.

I've noticed every once in a while eBay goes on a tear and cancels a bunch of auctions, trying to weed out certain words in the Auction Title such as "Ticket" and as you now probably see, the words "Rapid Rewards".
Old Aug 23, 2005, 4:01 pm

Programs: Pualani Platinum
I told you ebay sales was one of the main reasons for capacity controls.....but everyone wants to think it's not.Keep lookin' the other way....I know it's one of the MAIN reasons.

How can you sell a ticketless reward and promise the ebay buyer he can use it for any flight he wants? Not working now.SWA snuffed out that option.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec PLT; Marriott PLAT
I seriously doubt ebay sales affected the decision to add capacity controls. Some fliers wanted credits that expired later and capacity controls were seen as the counterpoint to that.

Originally Posted by Ben Dover
I told you ebay sales was one of the main reasons for capacity controls.....but everyone wants to think it's not.Keep lookin' the other way....I know it's one of the MAIN reasons.

How can you sell a ticketless reward and promise the ebay buyer he can use it for any flight he wants? Not working now.SWA snuffed out that option.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Hhonors, Starwood, AAdvantage, Us AirWays Dividend Miles Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
I just found 73 under the search terms "Southwest Voucher". Which is about 1/3 - 1/2 of the number there used to previously be for sale at any one time. Hmmmmmmm.........come to think of it, SWA has devalued RR in half since then, so I guess the number is correct.

I've noticed every once in a while eBay goes on a tear and cancels a bunch of auctions, trying to weed out certain words in the Auction Title such as "Ticket" and as you now probably see, the words "Rapid Rewards".
Your'e right, sneaky sneaky.....I searched "Rapid Rewards Southwest" and got 2 hits. Southwest voucher brought up many more.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold

How can you sell a ticketless reward and promise the ebay buyer he can use it for any flight he wants? Not working now. SWA snuffed out that option.
Dear Ben Dover,

Uuuuuuuuuuuuummm... let me see, now. First of all, if a person wants to, they can easily do it thru Jan 31, 2007 for any RRs accumulated thru till Jan 31, 2006.

Then, after that, they don't have to promise!
Old Aug 24, 2005, 4:23 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum,Hilton Diamond,Hyatt Diamond,WN Companion Pass, AA Plat, Hertz Plat
I have been recently dealing with Ebay and their rejection of my SWA RR auctions. My first auction was removed as I tried to sell 2 RR vouchers. My next effort was to only sell 1 voucher and it too was cancelled within hours of closing. It appears that Ebay will only allow you to sell a SWA RR voucher if you become a "Square Trade Dealer" at a cost of $85 per year!! To me, it's a joke!!

It may be that SWA is cracking down, but Ebay wants $85 to allow you to sell your tickets.

The other issue involves Ebay's selective enforcement of these new rules. While they seem to have their eye on me, others are selling tickets successfully left and right.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by DallasBill
Dear Ben Dover,

Uuuuuuuuuuuuummm... let me see, now. First of all, if a person wants to, they can easily do it thru Jan 31, 2007 for any RRs accumulated thru till Jan 31, 2006.

Then, after that, they don't have to promise!
Yes, I realize it would not effect ebay sales right away.There is a time limit before it would happen....but saying you can sell without the PROMISE is just you making my point....

The buyers will slack off and slow their purchases without knowing for sure if they can get a flight.Most of the buyers are using these vouchers within a week or two to save money on high priced flights cross country.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Ben Dover; Aug 24, 2005 at 4:28 pm
Old Aug 24, 2005, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by onefreetraveler
I have been recently dealing with Ebay and their rejection of my SWA RR auctions. My first auction was removed as I tried to sell 2 RR vouchers. My next effort was to only sell 1 voucher and it too was cancelled within hours of closing. It appears that Ebay will only allow you to sell a SWA RR voucher if you become a "Square Trade Dealer" at a cost of $85 per year!! To me, it's a joke!!

It may be that SWA is cracking down, but Ebay wants $85 to allow you to sell your tickets.

The other issue involves Ebay's selective enforcement of these new rules. While they seem to have their eye on me, others are selling tickets successfully left and right.

ONCEfree......here's a hint.........one day auction.

You're welcome
Old Aug 24, 2005, 6:48 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum,Hilton Diamond,Hyatt Diamond,WN Companion Pass, AA Plat, Hertz Plat
ONCEfree......here's a hint.........one day auction.

You're welcome
Hey Ben;

I actually tried that this last weekend and guess who got suspended by Ebay??!!!

Thanks for the idea though.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 7:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold

Get a job. I doubt EBay is selectively enforcing anything. Actually, they do a pretty good job keeping up, but someone always posts another one. Its people like you that have wrecked the program, and why Southwest is making changes to the program. Have you told the tax man about your little side business?
Old Aug 24, 2005, 7:41 pm

Hey Ben;

I actually tried that this last weekend and guess who got suspended by Ebay??!!!

Thanks for the idea though.
Looks like ebay has your number. It was good while it lasted....

like I said.......I feel this new rule (limited seats for Rapid Rewards) is to thwart ebay sales.....you can't tell me different....

who really thinks they got enough complaints from Joeblow infrequent flyer that one year was not long enough to get 16 credits? ...please...

People that really support this airline and have the SouthWest credit card have 16 credits within 4 months easily...

JMHO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.