Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Market For Unused Funds?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2004, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by i_buy_swa
So you are a mega-seller. What is your ebay screen name?
Maybe Tino was just one of those people that you hear stories about that got duped on a $10,000 65" plasma TV by some shady Ebay seller in Russia. That would account for half of his $20,000 of buying and selling on Ebay. No wonder he's so bitter towards Ebay. J/K You don't seem like the type to get duped Tino.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 12:35 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Tino
That's why the market (according to eBay) pays a premium for paper-based award tickets.
I disagree. The premium for paper tickets is that they are easier for ticket brokers to handle. No need to identify the buyer before obtaining inventory from the seller. That means no delay in providing a ticket to the buyer.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:41 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Ebay makes it safer than ever to book far ahead

Since there is a market for ticketless funds at over 80 percent of full value, and since SWA may even offer to refund your money if you are a major customer, the risk in booking non-refundable tickets far ahead is now truly minimal. I'm booking to the end of the schedule right now.

FWIW, I have found lately that availability LAX-OAK opens up quite a bit roughly 8 weeks before travel. The Change Reservation feature is then quite useful.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
FWIW, I have found lately that availability LAX-OAK opens up quite a bit roughly 8 weeks before travel. The Change Reservation feature is then quite useful.
That's interesting -- any idea why it would open up 8 weeks out?

Being able to change one's reservation without penalty is one of the best aspects of flying WN.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 1:06 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Dan Burgess
That's interesting -- any idea why it would open up 8 weeks out?
Initial availability when the schedule first opens is much worse than it was a year ago. About 8 weeks out, they provide what I would consider normal availability. This must improve yield, but I can't explain how.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 2:44 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
You don't seem like the type to get duped Tino.
Nope - never been duped on eBay, but I minimize the chance of that happening by merely skipping the deals that appear to be riskier than others for the amount of $$$ that I'm saving. I buy a LOT of travel-related material on eBay (a majority of the $20k), but I'm not going to give a complete stranger control over my flight plans just to save $20.

Dollar-denominated hotel gift certificates are another story - I am an infinite buyer at 75-80 cents on the dollar, and there are a lot of people selling into that price range.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.