Wiki Posts
Search

Early Bird Getting Really Bad

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2024, 5:53 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by gaswalla
Paid for early bird and got B10.. what a joke. It was free though via SW Visa and I got RR miles for the charge which was subsequently reimbursed. Another strike on SW's customer service though.
Used to be that SW underpromised and over delivered... now, it simply can't deliver on mediocre expectations
Southwest doesn't promise an A for A-list, let alone for Early Boarding. Your expectations are unrealistic.

But there's good news. B10 will get you an aisle or window in the front 2/3 of the plane. The front half if it's a 737-800 or MAX8. If you want more than that, buy the overpriced A1-15 upgrade or the even more overpriced Business Select.

Please report your seating results here.
jjbiv, Boraxo, smmrfld and 1 others like this.
Old May 5, 2024, 7:29 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
5 posts since 2007 doesn't sound like a chronic complainer.
gaswalla likes this.
Old May 5, 2024, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The probem is that WN deliberately avoids managing expectations. If they told people "on popular flights EBCI might result in a B-list boarding card" then sales might tank. Because infrequent WN flyers and those without more recent data naturally assume that paying $$ will get you into the A group. And of course that is normally the experience on less crowded flights (where you probably didn't need to buy it anyway).
nsx, joshua362, LAX/HKG and 1 others like this.
Old May 9, 2024, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT, UA LT Gold, Hertz PC, 5 MM+ miles
It's Now a WSJ Story

The May 9 Wall Street Journal has devoted more than half a page along with graphics regarding the boarding and pre-boarding issues at WN: "Southwest's Pre-boarding Line Is Out of Control," https://www.wsj.com/lifestyle/travel...71a88a5?page=1.
gaswalla likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Short haul routes sans connection and CP are the only values remaining. Paying $40 extra for a B20 on a fare thats no better than others is really underwhelming.
Boraxo, LAX/HKG and gaswalla like this.
Old May 10, 2024, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Short haul routes sans connection and CP are the only values remaining. Paying $40 extra for a B20 on a fare thats no better than others is really underwhelming.
I can't entirely agree, I need to fly to PHX-FAT, WN fare $239 RT, DL$570, AA $900. even with EBCI my total fare is far less than both airlines. Granted the AA flight is Non-Stop, but my company's travel policy does not allow me to book AA.
Old May 10, 2024, 7:31 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Then don't pay the $40, it isn't required. All the seats are pretty much the same anyway, with a few exceptions.
jjbiv, Boraxo and kennycrudup like this.
Old May 10, 2024, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Then don't pay the $40, it isn't required. All the seats are pretty much the same anyway, with a few exceptions.
Exactly. I never pay it except when family is flying (we buy 1) or for a midcon. For one hour flight I can tolerate a middle seat.
Old May 10, 2024, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
For one hour flight I can tolerate a middle seat.
And your chances of getting a middle seat if you check in at T-24 (or even T-20) are very low.
jjbiv, Boraxo and kennycrudup like this.
Old May 11, 2024, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Ref the original post in this thread: I have several friends who went to WN revenue management. I was told years ago by my friends not to bother with Early Bird Check-in because, even back then (pre-COVID), tons of people pay for EBCI.

Now, practical question: I have a Business Select ticket for a flight next week. Do I have to do anything to activate EBCI on my Business Select ticket or can I just wait and get my boarding pass at the airport right before the flight having already been auto-checked in by EBCI without any action on my part?

How are A1-A15 numbers prioritized by EBCI if it's all automated? Time of ticket purchase? Fare paid? Status?

Apologies for the newbie questions but I only fly WN about once every other year or so.
Old May 11, 2024, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Herb687
Ref the original post in this thread: I have several friends who went to WN revenue management. I was told years ago by my friends not to bother with Early Bird Check-in because, even back then (pre-COVID), tons of people pay for EBCI.

Now, practical question: I have a Business Select ticket for a flight next week. Do I have to do anything to activate EBCI on my Business Select ticket or can I just wait and get my boarding pass at the airport right before the flight having already been auto-checked in by EBCI without any action on my part?

How are A1-A15 numbers prioritized by EBCI if it's all automated? Time of ticket purchase? Fare paid? Status?

Apologies for the newbie questions but I only fly WN about once every other year or so.
No, just like business class passenger doesn't have to do anything to activate lounge access
Old May 11, 2024, 6:35 pm

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
Recently flew AUS-TPA,,checked in at T-24 and received B36. While lined up to board the GA announced that only middle seats were left and to take one near the front of the plane to speed up the boarding process. I did that and a few min after later an announcement was made on the plane that there were a few aisle seats available at the rear of the aircraft. There were people in the aisle still boarding so I didn't bother to try to move back there. Mildly annoying but my flight was on time which was much more important.

I'd originally booked a one-way first class ticket on AA for $240 but they dropped the route and I didn't want to connect so I paid $193 to Southwest to get there non-stop.
Old May 11, 2024, 7:02 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Well known to experienced SW flyers that they will "lie" about the load and seats left when they are pretty full and trying for an on-time departure. Can't say I blame them, waiting for "spinners" to get seated can be time consuming. I always check the boarding screen, adding BP's issued to Thrus, to get the most accurate story
jjbiv and rayfes like this.
Old May 12, 2024, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rayfes
Recently flew AUS-TPA,,checked in at T-24 and received B36. While lined up to board the GA announced that only middle seats were left and to take one near the front of the plane to speed up the boarding process. I did that and a few min after later an announcement was made on the plane that there were a few aisle seats available at the rear of the aircraft. There were people in the aisle still boarding so I didn't bother to try to move back there. Mildly annoying but my flight was on time which was much more important.

I'd originally booked a one-way first class ticket on AA for $240 but they dropped the route and I didn't want to connect so I paid $193 to Southwest to get there non-stop.
I have noticed that the GA will make announcements to help speed up boarding, I did a same-day change, to an earlier flight, I got the dreaded high C boarding group, the GA was making announcements about full bins and I gate-checked my bag when I got on board there where plenty of open Bin space. I have also noticed if its a new MAX plane they always more space because of the bigger bins.
joshua362, LegalTender and rayfes like this.
Old May 12, 2024, 2:17 pm

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
I'm not faulting them for doing this to speed up the boarding process, but I'll be a little skeptical in the future. I've heard every carrier I've been on recently state that the flight is full and to take your seats immediately in cases where there are several empty seats.

How does one determine the number of BPs issued to thrus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.