Wiki Posts
Search

Schedule Extension

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Schedule Extension

Easiest ever and great flight times from ISP>PBI !!! Prices (points use) way down from the past two seasons. 6000 points less this year for travel from 12/20 - 12/31....

Last edited by Blitzjb; Mar 22, 2024 at 5:59 am
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Blitzjb
Easiest ever and great flight times from ISP>PBI !!! Prices (points use) way down from the past two seasons.
Just the opposite experience. Prices for flights over Thanksgiving timeframe (including weekend before) CMH-RSW way up.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:01 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Same for LAX-HNL in December.
And $130 is now the new $90 which was the new $79 which was the new $59 ------- which once was the $29 one way default fare for LAX-SMF or return.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:08 am

Hawaii over Christmas

I realize this isn't the best time to head to Hawaii but I went to book this morning and everything I saw was only the two most expensive fare buckets. Is this normal?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by NJTeacher
I realize this isn't the best time to head to Hawaii but I went to book this morning and everything I saw was only the two most expensive fare buckets. Is this normal?
I don't know about hawaii specifically, but it is not uncommon for popular routes/schedules. They may release lower fare buckets at some point.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 1:52 pm

Could be 737 order delays, pilot hiring pause and schedule right-sizing puts upward pressure on fares.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:41 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by dlaue
Same for LAX-HNL in December.
And $130 is now the new $90 which was the new $79 which was the new $59 ------- which once was the $29 one way default fare for LAX-SMF or return.
$130 is just the default fare, not the cheapest fare. You have to buy during the good sales. Most sales are bad or mediocre. I looked at the emails for a random early December flight from last year. There was the anniversary sale in June which took the price down to $69. Later on in July, there was a $29 sale for intra-California which turned out to be the cheapest possible fare for the early December date since it covered 8/15/23 to 2/14/24. I bought everything during that $29 sale. If you want to pay $130 and get Southwest credits back when the price drops, that's one option. I'm not doing that. If it stays at $130 (super duper unlikely), I'll rent a car and drive I-5. The June thru mid August fares may be sticky and might never drop below $79 or $89. This year I got nothing booked after the first week of June for intra-CA. I'll wait it out.
dlaue and m907 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
I buy the moment they go on sale... I am extremely OCD about my SW ticket purchases... They lowest categories go fast for high demand weeks and destinations.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 1:57 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by Blitzjb
I buy the moment they go on sale... I am extremely OCD about my SW ticket purchases... They lowest categories go fast for high demand weeks and destinations.
Yeah. I almost always don't buy early when there is no sale. But I bit on a $100 LAX to AUS about a week before Christmas and used AA for other near Christmas flights that are beyond ridiculous on Southwest fares. I don't think Christmas ever went on sale in 2023 despite the Christmas 2022 fiasco which surprised me a lot. This year with the lack of capacity, I think we are going to see fewer sales and more blackout dates.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 2:19 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
$120 within California on a peak date? No thanks. Something better is sure to appear later.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 5:16 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
You are the expert, so question: Why aren't you booking and re faring IF the price comes down.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 7:05 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by lougord99
You are the expert, so question: Why aren't you booking and re faring IF the price comes down.
Laziness plus certainty that the price will be lower later. I will book nearby dates when their prices are reasonable and fly on those dates if needed.
dlaue likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.