Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying the A1-A15 upgrade on the web site

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Buying the A1-A15 upgrade on the web site

Perhaps all of you have known that you can buy an A1-A15 upgrade now on the web site (less than 24 hours before the flight). I didn't know this until I was assisting a family member yesterday. I searched but did not see a posting on this.

In the check in process, at least on this specific ticket, there was a button "upgrade to A1-A15". The family member wanted this if possible. Cost was $50 for a flight from HNL to California. He had already purchased early bird, but had A-40-something. For $50, was upgraded to A7. Hopeful for the infinity leg room exit row seat. On a 5 1/2 hour flight, cost < $10/hour, seems like a good deal to me.

How long has this feature been on the web site? I don't recall seeing it, however, I have been doing more of my check-ins on the mobile app recently.

Any thoughts on a preferred strategy now that this is available many hours prior to arriving at the airport (therefore, more likely to catch an A1-A15)? Seems to me that it is still smart to buy early bird because you don't know if A1-A15 will be available. Without Early Bird, you would have to check in at exactly 24 hours prior and then you still won't have a guaranteed boarding position that is as good as an EB boarding position. Kind of sucks that you have to pay twice (once for the early bird, once for the A1-A15 upgrade), but I do understand Southwest's desire to charge for their "premium" seats. Would be nice if they offered a slight discount for the upgrade to those who have EB (instead of $50, apply some or all of the $25 EB fee, reducing the price to something in the range of $25 to $40 for the A1-A15 upgrade).

Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:30 am

It's been available online/app for about 18 months, since AUG 2022: https://community.southwest.com/t5/B...st/ba-p/147985
Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:54 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Shhhh! Keep this feature a secret.
joshua362 and zlanga like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:38 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Check the incoming flight schedule to see the likelihood of through passengers taking the king seat(s) during the stop. Middle of the country stops would usually "burn" me.
zdcatc12 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Yep, been doing this for way over a year. On app and on website.

We never buy early bird and hope for A1-a15 which we usually get.
dlaue and zlanga like this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joshua362
Check the incoming flight schedule to see the likelihood of through passengers taking the king seat(s) during the stop. Middle of the country stops would usually "burn" me.
What I got was the flight was starting in HNL to Calif, so I highly doubt there is a through passenger on this flight
joshua362 and bbbb like this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by NoStressHere

You never buy but get A1-15?
Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:38 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
What I got was the flight was starting in HNL to Calif, so I highly doubt there is a through passenger on this flight
Awesome. I haven't followed HI flights closely but read somewhere that they make 2 stops in the islands per round trip to the CONUS. You should be fine, good luck!
Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:44 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Now that they have paused the GUM/HNL flight, this is a safe bet

I read this to say they don't buy the Early Bird deal for the $10 and just wait for the last minute A1-15 option
Old Mar 4, 2024, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Now that they have paused the GUM/HNL flight, this is a safe bet
WN flew to GUM?
jjbiv likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
We never buy early bird, but we do buy the A1-a15 upgrade.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 7:40 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by FCfree
Perhaps all of you have known that you can buy an A1-A15 upgrade now on the web site (less than 24 hours before the flight). I didn't know this until I was assisting a family member yesterday. I searched but did not see a posting on this.

In the check in process, at least on this specific ticket, there was a button "upgrade to A1-A15". The family member wanted this if possible. Cost was $50 for a flight from HNL to California. He had already purchased early bird, but had A-40-something. For $50, was upgraded to A7. Hopeful for the infinity leg room exit row seat. On a 5 1/2 hour flight, cost < $10/hour, seems like a good deal to me.

How long has this feature been on the web site? I don't recall seeing it, however, I have been doing more of my check-ins on the mobile app recently.

Any thoughts on a preferred strategy now that this is available many hours prior to arriving at the airport (therefore, more likely to catch an A1-A15)? Seems to me that it is still smart to buy early bird because you don't know if A1-A15 will be available. Without Early Bird, you would have to check in at exactly 24 hours prior and then you still won't have a guaranteed boarding position that is as good as an EB boarding position. Kind of sucks that you have to pay twice (once for the early bird, once for the A1-A15 upgrade), but I do understand Southwest's desire to charge for their "premium" seats. Would be nice if they offered a slight discount for the upgrade to those who have EB (instead of $50, apply some or all of the $25 EB fee, reducing the price to something in the range of $25 to $40 for the A1-A15 upgrade).

Any thoughts will be appreciated.
I really don't see the point in buying EBCI if you plan to buy the upgrade, especially as a single traveler.
joshua362, FlightNurse and zlanga like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:13 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
WN flew to GUM?
*sigh* /sarcasm
Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by FCfree
... the infinity leg room exit row seat ... "premium" seats
The one without a seatback pocket?

"Strokes for folks" and all that 🤷‍♂️
Old Mar 5, 2024, 12:30 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by NoStressHere

Same here, especially since having a Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Visa Card, I get reimbursed for my first four A1-A15 upgrades, each year.
NoStressHere and zlanga like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.