Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me get to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:16 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by cebee
It's important to book multi city reservations instead of separate one ways.

We've broken it up and spent the night in California or Vegas on the way to Hawaii. On the way back, on our most recent trip, we left on an early morning flight and connected in Vegas to make it home by 10 pm. A long day but I preferred it to a previous red eye on American.

it depends.

if you are on Maui their are not many hotels near the airport. If you are on an 8 am flight you need to shoot for a 5 am car rd turn ( if car rental is e en oprn) then that means leaving hotel around 4 am.

on other airlines you can take a flight leaving after 3 pm flying to central/ east hub as a red eye thrn connecting snd getting home by 10am the next day.
cebee likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 4:09 pm

Leaving the hotel at 4 or 5 am is a drawback for sure.

In four trips to Hawaii on Southwest, we overnighted in Los Angeles, San Jose, Oakland and Vegas. On the way back, we overnighted in Oakland, Long Beach (tacking on a couple days at Disneyland), did an all day Southwest flight and did an all night American airlines flight. No clear winners among the choices.

My main lesson was booking it as a multi city itinerary at the time of booking. I originally didn't know to do that. During irrops, the airlines moved my first flight (MSP-SJC) without moving my second flight (SJC-LIH). It was fixable but after that I've always made sure to have them booked together.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by djp98374
it depends.

if you are on Maui their are not many hotels near the airport. If you are on an 8 am flight you need to shoot for a 5 am car rd turn ( if car rental is e en oprn) then that means leaving hotel around 4 am.

on other airlines you can take a flight leaving after 3 pm flying to central/ east hub as a red eye thrn connecting snd getting home by 10am the next day.
Drop off the rental car 3 hours before a morning flight at OGG? You can walk from the rental car drop off to the terminal. A few weeks ago we stayed at Kapalua, an hour from the airport. We had a 7:45am flight, left Kapalua at 5:30am, dropped off the car at 6:30am, spent 30 minutes in the lounge, boarded our flight at 7:15am.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 5:35 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by dmbolp
Drop off the rental car 3 hours before a morning flight at OGG? You can walk from the rental car drop off to the terminal. A few weeks ago we stayed at Kapalua, an hour from the airport. We had a 7:45am flight, left Kapalua at 5:30am, dropped off the car at 6:30am, spent 30 minutes in the lounge, boarded our flight at 7:15am.
what airline? What rental car? Do you have some sort of precheck/ ststus to quickly check your bags.

if you are flying southwest these are usually not regular travelers to hawaii which means longer lines check bags.

Non special event regular airports in closer 58 i day 2.5 hrs eith needingbto refuel car, return it, take shuttle/ longer walk to terminal, check bags, TSA, to gate. In hawsii you have agriculture checks to do and can have longer check bag lines with airlines snd longer TSA lines for a flight around 8am because many airlines fly out around 8 am so a heavy pax load.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by djp98374
what airline? What rental car? Do you have some sort of precheck/ ststus to quickly check your bags.

if you are flying southwest these are usually not regular travelers to hawaii which means longer lines check bags.

Non special event regular airports in closer 58 i day 2.5 hrs eith needingbto refuel car, return it, take shuttle/ longer walk to terminal, check bags, TSA, to gate. In hawsii you have agriculture checks to do and can have longer check bag lines with airlines snd longer TSA lines for a flight around 8am because many airlines fly out around 8 am so a heavy pax load.
What Airline? The airline that is the subject of this forum

What rental car? They all return in the same facility, across from the terminal

I can't make any sense out of the rest of your post
smmrfld likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone, you've given me a lot to ponder!
LegalTender, CA1900 and steved5480 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.