Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early Bird when exchanging a ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2024, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Question Early Bird when exchanging a ticket

I have a ticket with early bird boarding. I know it is not refundable but what if I change the ticket to a different date (same city pair) - does the early bird transfer to the new ticket? My original ticket is for tomorrow but I won't be traveling due to the weather forecast and I'm trying to decide between rebooking a new date or just cancelling altogether. thanks in advance
edit to add that I'm not traveling to/from any of the cities listed in the current travel waiver.

Last edited by bearchaser303; Jan 11, 2024 at 1:52 pm
Old Jan 11, 2024, 2:07 pm

I believe EBCI transfers if your new flight leaves 25+ hours later.

Availability always a condition.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 2:38 pm

From Southwest.com EBCI FAQs:

https://www.southwest.com/help/booki...lybird-checkin

If I have EarlyBird Check-In and choose to change my flight, will the EarlyBird Check-In transfer as well?

EarlyBird Check-In can be transferred only if the new flight departs more than 25 hours from the time of the change. If the new flight departs in less than 25 hours, then you will lose your non-refundable EarlyBird Check-In purchase. Additionally, if the change to your reservation involves a new city pair(s), you will need to contact us to have the EarlyBird Check-In transferred.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by dmbolp
From Southwest.com EBCI FAQs:

https://www.southwest.com/help/booki...lybird-checkin

If I have EarlyBird Check-In and choose to change my flight, will the EarlyBird Check-In transfer as well?

EarlyBird Check-In can be transferred only if the new flight departs more than 25 hours from the time of the change. If the new flight departs in less than 25 hours, then you will lose your non-refundable EarlyBird Check-In purchase. Additionally, if the change to your reservation involves a new city pair(s), you will need to contact us to have the EarlyBird Check-In transferred.
Thank you. I did read the FAQ but I guess it didn't register with me for some reason.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
And by change, they DO NOT mean cancel and rebook. Do the CHANGE online. Easy to do.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
And by change, they DO NOT mean cancel and rebook. Do the CHANGE online. Easy to do.
Yes. I did the change online. There was one glitch, the early bird for the outbound flight didn't transfer over to my new outbound flight. Apparently that was because the check-in had already occurred on my original flight for tomorrow. I called Southwest and they transferred that one over to the new flight. So I'm all good. Thanks for the help all!
Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by bearchaser303
Yes. I did the change online. There was one glitch, the early bird for the outbound flight didn't transfer over to my new outbound flight. Apparently that was because the check-in had already occurred on my original flight for tomorrow. I called Southwest and they transferred that one over to the new flight. So I'm all good. Thanks for the help all!
Not a glitch, if you were already checked in then you were already past the 25 hour rule mentioned above
Old Jan 11, 2024, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmbolp
Not a glitch, if you were already checked in then you were already past the 25 hour rule mentioned above
The new flight is in two weeks.
dmbolp likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 6:33 pm

The new flight is in two weeks.
Ah, got it
Old Jan 22, 2024, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
I have a ticket with early bird boarding. I know it is not refundable but what if I change the ticket to a different date (same city pair) - does the early bird transfer to the new ticket? My original ticket is for tomorrow but I won't be traveling due to the weather forecast and I'm trying to decide between rebooking a new date or just cancelling altogether. thanks in advance
edit to add that I'm not traveling to/from any of the cities listed in the current travel waiver.
I've had early bird attached to a reservation that I changed multiple times. EB would always transfer over. The only time it doesn't is when I've changed it so many times that the ticket would expire. When that happened, I was able to get EB refunded. The phone rep submitted a refund claim and I got the refund a couple of days later.
formeraa likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.