Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Buy extra seat - even if not Customer of Size?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2024, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Seems some airlines allow you to buy an extra seat so nobody is next to you. Can you do this with SWA?
Old Jan 4, 2024, 2:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Seems some airlines allow you to buy an extra seat so nobody is next to you. Can you do this with SWA?
Yes you can, but bet your bottom dollar you will have a tough job explaining someone who want to enjoy/gshare your benfits.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I thought on WN you could not. This was a topic several years ago when WN announced the COS policy. I'm "kinda tall", can't I just buy an extra seat and get the placard to put in the middle? Pretty sure the answer was no.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Maybe buy 6 seats and block off a row. Invite 20-somethings to join and party.

Serious question?
Old Jan 4, 2024, 4:59 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
No you cannot. If you were new here, I would leave it at that. But you aren't. You know perfectly well that you cannot do that on Southwest. Why the question?
Old Jan 5, 2024, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by lougord99
No you cannot. If you were new here, I would leave it at that. But you aren't. You know perfectly well that you cannot do that on Southwest. Why the question?
I guess I should know. Just never thought about it before. We have so many points, I figured we could splurge.

Bummer
Old Jan 5, 2024, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I remember long ago you could buy a 2nd seat on AA. In fact, AA itself did a whole story in the inflight magazine about a cellist who always bought a 2nd seat for his instrument - the cello had its own AAdvantage number and Platinum status, the top tier at the time.

They changed the rule sometime in the past 15-20 years, IIRC.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 8:43 am
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
We allow extra seat purchases for Customers of Size, and musical instruments only.

We currently do not allow extra seat purchase simply to have an open seat next to you.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 10:14 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Why not? That seems like it would be an easy thing to implement and allow customers that want to give you more money to do so.
apeoples13 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
Why not? That seems like it would be an easy thing to implement and allow customers that want to give you more money to do so.
I would agree. They get money and have one less person flying, so less weight, etc.

I almost feel discrimated against since I am not overweight... well, I am overweight, but not enough.
joshua362 and m907 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:48 am

Open seating exception for high-payers? Uncontrollable mess. Betrays a hallowed communal culture.

A premium seat upsell is far less frenzied.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
You buy 2 tickets and and once you have boarded tell the cabin crew the other passanger is stuck in traffic and can't make it so don't wait
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by COLOURS123
You buy 2 tickets and and once you have boarded tell the cabin crew the other passanger is stuck in traffic and can't make it so don't wait
Ummm…no.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by COLOURS123
You realize that wouldn't work at all, right?

If it's a full flight, a standby takes that seat.

If it's not a full flight, the 2nd ticket is still irrelevant - it's just you "defending" the empty middle seat through any number of practices (of varying levels of piggishness) that have been discussed on this board at various times over the years.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Open seating exception for high-payers? Uncontrollable mess. Betrays a hallowed communal culture.

A premium seat upsell is far less frenzied.
Sometimes I wonder how the U.S. market would receive the European short-haul practice where the "premium" offer is often a coach seat with a blocked middle. Flexible system...the number of premium rows can vary flight to flight or not be used at all if there's no market for it.

If anyone ever tried it, it would be one of the airlines with all-coach equipment like Southwest. But since I've literally never heard it contemplated or rumored, I'm guessing it's not happening anytime soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.