Community
Wiki Posts
Search

December 22 1,200 delays on Southwest

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2023, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

December 22 1,200 delays on Southwest

Any news on why Southwest suddenly had over 1200 delayed flights yesterday? My son would have missed his connection due to delays so switched to another airline. No news at all about this? Strange.
m907 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
guessing weather?

Lots of delays yesterday

https://www.flightaware.com/live/cancelled/yesterday
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 8:27 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Today is another day where 25% of Southwest's flights are delayed. On days like today they schedule extra flights and that takes away their cushion. Then when the weather does not cooperate or when they have a maintenance issue, any delays of a particular plane early in the day will continue throughout the day. Just a consequence of Southwest's business model. On the bright side: few cancellations, so all is good.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Chrtyui
Any news on why Southwest suddenly had over 1200 delayed flights yesterday? My son would have missed his connection due to delays so switched to another airline. No news at all about this? Strange.
View from the Wing reported that fog was below FAA minimums, so planes could not land at MDW which is WNs 4th busiest airport. I am sure that had knock-on affects to other airports in the network. WN had 177 cancelations out of 4313 flights on Saturday and 53 out of 4242 flights so far for Sunday.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 10:48 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Probably weather. Looking at the national weather radar, I see a line of significant precipitation bisecting the country from Louisiana to Minnesota.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
For what it is worth,

SWA cancelled 2% of flights on Saturday.

SWA cancelled less than a half percent on Friday - same on Thursday

As of early afternoon on Sunday, at 1%.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 2:21 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Just another day at the office. Nothing to see here
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Just another day at the office. Nothing to see here
Actually, there is something to see...

MCI-PHX, for example.

h/t Linda Ellis Sims
dc2 and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Another major fail during the busy holiday season - this time at MDW due to fog.

https://www.wsj.com/business/airline...hare_permalink

How does WN not plan for these contingencies?

There is fog all the time at SFO and we all get used to dealing with the resultant delays ... including the airlines.

Southwest Cancellations Mount at Chicago’s Midway Because of Fog

The airline scrubbed more flights for Christmas Day as it deployed new strategy to deal with weather-related fallout

Southwest Airlines canceled hundreds of flights Sunday and nixed scores more for Monday, as dense fog snarled operations at Chicago’s Midway International Airport, where Southwest is the main carrier. The woes prompted Southwest to deploy a new strategy for handling disruptions that it developed in the wake of more extreme holiday upheaval it endured last year.

The Dallas-based airline had canceled 270 flights as of Sunday night, according to FlightAware, a flight tracking service—about 6% of what it had planned to operate that day. More than a quarter of its flights had been delayed. Altogether, more than 300 U.S. flights had been canceled as of Sunday evening.

***MORE
Old Dec 24, 2023, 9:47 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Explorist; Bonvoy Platinum
Merry Xmas!
traumamed likes this.

Last edited by touringuy; Dec 25, 2023 at 6:44 am Reason: Mispost
Old Dec 25, 2023, 4:21 am

Send compensation requests due to fog to: [email protected]
Old Dec 25, 2023, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Another major fail during the busy holiday season - this time at MDW due to fog.

https://www.wsj.com/business/airline...hare_permalink

How does WN not plan for these contingencies?

There is fog all the time at SFO and we all get used to dealing with the resultant delays ... including the airlines.

[size=13px]

[/size]

I wouldn't say it's a "major" fail, it's more like a "moderate" fail this time.

Keep in mind, a cancellation is a cancellation, but IIRC anything more than 15 minutes after the scheduled gate departure time is considered a "delay". So not all delays are equal, even though most cancellations are equal.

Also, fog is super common at SFO, are you sure it's that common at MDW? I keep hearing about how common fog is at SFO on national news, but all I ever hear weather-wise about MDW on national news is snow, not fog.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Also, fog is super common at SFO, are you sure it's that common at MDW? I keep hearing about how common fog is at SFO on national news, but all I ever hear weather-wise about MDW on national news is snow, not fog.
Low ceilings also delay ops at DCA with runway lengths close to MDW. They're 2,100 ft longer at SFO.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
109 Canceled on Christmas day 633 delayed.

AA DL UA combined have less then 10 canceled

People never learn!
Boraxo, nineworldseries and m907 like this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Great, what I want to know is when do we get another 30% off promo? $39 fare sale?

Roll the dice... travel on Southwest on Tuesday or Wednesday during slow times of year.

I was driving late the other night in a remote area and came into a patch of fog. There wasn't any other traffic. It was pretty scary. Luckily it only lasted 7-8 minutes and I slowed way down. It is odd as I had never encountered fog there before, but it happens.
jjbiv, Boraxo, wrp96 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.