Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

A list now boards after family boarding if you don't have an A position

A list now boards after family boarding if you don't have an A position

Old Sep 28, 2023, 7:53 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: O'Fallon. MO
Programs: SW A+, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 7
A list now boards after family boarding if you don't have an A position

Went to board between A and B groups before family like Normally when I have a B or C group. Sometimes I book last minute, I'm A list preferred. Was told A list now boards after family boarding.
Dodgeguy is offline  
Old Sep 28, 2023, 8:44 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Blue Ridge, GA
Posts: 5,477
"Boarding the Plane FAQ" - accessible on any phone - should be final arbiter.

But making your case after family boarding starts invites made-up posturing. You win after you lose.
joshua362 likes this.
LegalTender is offline  
Old Sep 30, 2023, 5:06 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: TPA for now. Hopefully LIS for retirement
Posts: 13,507
I actually like this idea (I am A+) and was hoping they would do this when I first heard rumors about it. I want to know where the potential screaming babies are before I sit down so I can avoid them.

I can't tell you how many times I board first, get settled in a preferred seat, and then a family with an infant comes down the aisle and settles near me. When that happens I relocate further back, but now there are fewer choice seats available.

If this is indeed official, I think it is a good thing. They can't take the exit row seats anyway (not that those are my preferred seats, but they seem to be revered by many here).
dw, NoStressHere, Juanefny and 1 others like this.
Bear96 is offline  
Old Sep 30, 2023, 8:57 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Posts: 11,039
I have looked all over the SWA website. Can not find the rule.
Juanefny likes this.
NoStressHere is offline  
Old Sep 30, 2023, 9:37 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sacramento
Programs: AA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, FPC lifetime Plat, Kohls MVP
Posts: 541
Flight on Thursday had family boarding before A-list preferred and A list. Flight on Friday had A list before family boarding. But I agree there are advantages to boarding after family boarding. I think I will board after families to avoid sitting near them if I do SDC.
NoStressHere likes this.
GumboCook is offline  
Old Oct 1, 2023, 8:28 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD USA
Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Posts: 4,315
I think WN is experimenting with the boarding process. I read an article last November that they were trying a new family boarding policy on a few flights that would board families after the pre-boarders but before Group A, with the catch that they'd be prohibited from sitting in rows 1-15. Which sounds nice - a no-kid section of the cabin from 1-15 - but it seems impossible for the crews to enforce it.

If that didn't pan out, they may be trying some additional tests to see what they can do with the boarding order to make the process more efficient.
WillCAD is offline  
Old Oct 1, 2023, 9:00 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: TPA for now. Hopefully LIS for retirement
Posts: 13,507
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I read an article last November that they were trying a new family boarding policy on a few flights that would board families after the pre-boarders but before Group A, with the catch that they'd be prohibited from sitting in rows 1-15.
I love that idea!

I have two flights tomorrow so am interested to see how they do it.
Bear96 is offline  
Old Oct 1, 2023, 10:29 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Posts: 11,039
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I think WN is experimenting with the boarding process. I read an article last November that they were trying a new family boarding policy on a few flights that would board families after the pre-boarders but before Group A, with the catch that they'd be prohibited from sitting in rows 1-15. Which sounds nice - a no-kid section of the cabin from 1-15 - but it seems impossible for the crews to enforce it.

If that didn't pan out, they may be trying some additional tests to see what they can do with the boarding order to make the process more efficient.
I think that would be a great idea....families would be a similar group to pre-boarders which the FA already enforce, keeping them out of exit rows. Not only would this idea solve the family boarding issue, but putting a group of passengers BEHIND the exit rows, overall boarding would speed up quite a bit. The crew handles this when A1 boards and tells them "general boarding" which at that point folks can sit anywhere.

This process already works for pre-boarders.

Last edited by NoStressHere; Oct 1, 2023 at 10:43 am
NoStressHere is offline  
Old Oct 1, 2023, 11:04 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Blue Ridge, GA
Posts: 5,477
Ever-expanding hardship categories don't help priority boarding sales. Probably explains why this will forever be a "pilot program" in testing phase. A few bad anecdotes beat what DL is going through.
LegalTender is offline  
Old Oct 1, 2023, 3:03 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Posts: 11,039
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Ever-expanding hardship categories don't help priority boarding sales. Probably explains why this will forever be a "pilot program" in testing phase. A few bad anecdotes beat what DL is going through.
As to priority boarding, we buy it for most trips and have a 90% success rate getting the LUV seats. Hardship boarders can not sit there
NoStressHere is offline  
Old Oct 2, 2023, 11:52 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Blue Ridge, GA
Posts: 5,477
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
As to priority boarding, we buy it for most trips and have a 90% success rate getting the LUV seats. Hardship boarders can not sit there
SWA never counted on your expertise.
LegalTender is offline  
Old Oct 2, 2023, 12:06 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SFO
Posts: 3,867
I think it depends on the agent working the gate. This past Saturday, I boarded before family. Gate agent gave me the head nod to scan my boarding pass as she was making the announcement.
Troopers is offline  
Old Oct 2, 2023, 6:30 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: TPA for now. Hopefully LIS for retirement
Posts: 13,507
Originally Posted by Bear96
I have two flights tomorrow so am interested to see how they do it.
Neither flight today let families board ahead of the A group, as far as I could tell.
Bear96 is offline  
Old Oct 6, 2023, 7:22 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: LAX
Programs: AS 75K, southwest A+, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire ambassador
Posts: 87
I flew out of SMF yesterday and they had family boarding immediately after the pre boards and before A list. Not sure if all the gates were doing this.
SoCaltravel is offline  
Old Oct 6, 2023, 8:00 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Blue Ridge, GA
Posts: 5,477
Originally Posted by SoCaltravel
I flew out of SMF yesterday and they had family boarding immediately after the pre boards and before A list. Not sure if all the gates were doing this.
Pax not knowing the order isn't a plus. Flexibility is, for the airline.

Information based on random reports from individuals rather than announcements from the company must be sustainable.
LegalTender is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.