Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

A list now boards after family boarding if you don't have an A position

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2023, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SW A+, HHonors Diamond

Went to board between A and B groups before family like Normally when I have a B or C group. Sometimes I book last minute, I'm A list preferred. Was told A list now boards after family boarding.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 7:44 pm

"Boarding the Plane FAQ" - accessible on any phone - should be final arbiter.

But making your case after family boarding starts invites made-up posturing. You win after you lose.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually like this idea (I am A+) and was hoping they would do this when I first heard rumors about it. I want to know where the potential screaming babies are before I sit down so I can avoid them.

I can't tell you how many times I board first, get settled in a preferred seat, and then a family with an infant comes down the aisle and settles near me. When that happens I relocate further back, but now there are fewer choice seats available.

If this is indeed official, I think it is a good thing. They can't take the exit row seats anyway (not that those are my preferred seats, but they seem to be revered by many here).
dw, NoStressHere, Juanefny and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I have looked all over the SWA website. Can not find the rule.
Juanefny likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, FPC lifetime Plat, Kohls MVP
Flight on Thursday had family boarding before A-list preferred and A list. Flight on Friday had A list before family boarding. But I agree there are advantages to boarding after family boarding. I think I will board after families to avoid sitting near them if I do SDC.
NoStressHere likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 7:28 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I think WN is experimenting with the boarding process. I read an article last November that they were trying a new family boarding policy on a few flights that would board families after the pre-boarders but before Group A, with the catch that they'd be prohibited from sitting in rows 1-15. Which sounds nice - a no-kid section of the cabin from 1-15 - but it seems impossible for the crews to enforce it.

If that didn't pan out, they may be trying some additional tests to see what they can do with the boarding order to make the process more efficient.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
I read an article last November that they were trying a new family boarding policy on a few flights that would board families after the pre-boarders but before Group A, with the catch that they'd be prohibited from sitting in rows 1-15.
I love that idea!

I have two flights tomorrow so am interested to see how they do it.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I think WN is experimenting with the boarding process. I read an article last November that they were trying a new family boarding policy on a few flights that would board families after the pre-boarders but before Group A, with the catch that they'd be prohibited from sitting in rows 1-15. Which sounds nice - a no-kid section of the cabin from 1-15 - but it seems impossible for the crews to enforce it.

If that didn't pan out, they may be trying some additional tests to see what they can do with the boarding order to make the process more efficient.
I think that would be a great idea....families would be a similar group to pre-boarders which the FA already enforce, keeping them out of exit rows. Not only would this idea solve the family boarding issue, but putting a group of passengers BEHIND the exit rows, overall boarding would speed up quite a bit. The crew handles this when A1 boards and tells them "general boarding" which at that point folks can sit anywhere.

This process already works for pre-boarders.

Last edited by NoStressHere; Oct 1, 2023 at 9:43 am
Old Oct 1, 2023, 10:04 am

Ever-expanding hardship categories don't help priority boarding sales. Probably explains why this will forever be a "pilot program" in testing phase. A few bad anecdotes beat what DL is going through.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Ever-expanding hardship categories don't help priority boarding sales. Probably explains why this will forever be a "pilot program" in testing phase. A few bad anecdotes beat what DL is going through.
As to priority boarding, we buy it for most trips and have a 90% success rate getting the LUV seats. Hardship boarders can not sit there
Old Oct 2, 2023, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
As to priority boarding, we buy it for most trips and have a 90% success rate getting the LUV seats. Hardship boarders can not sit there
SWA never counted on your expertise.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 11:06 am

I think it depends on the agent working the gate. This past Saturday, I boarded before family. Gate agent gave me the head nod to scan my boarding pass as she was making the announcement.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bear96
I have two flights tomorrow so am interested to see how they do it.
Neither flight today let families board ahead of the A group, as far as I could tell.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 6:22 am

Programs: AS 75K, southwest A+, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire ambassador
I flew out of SMF yesterday and they had family boarding immediately after the pre boards and before A list. Not sure if all the gates were doing this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by SoCaltravel
I flew out of SMF yesterday and they had family boarding immediately after the pre boards and before A list. Not sure if all the gates were doing this.
Pax not knowing the order isn't a plus. Flexibility is, for the airline.

Information based on random reports from individuals rather than announcements from the company must be sustainable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.