Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Flight attendant had my companion remove carry on and replace to prove fitness to sit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight attendant had my companion remove carry on and replace to prove fitness to sit

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2023, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Had a flight from Lax to Dal. Attendant had my companion pull down bag and put back in. She/her said she needed to be sure she could handle the physical ability. We thought it was a joke at first but soon realized she was serious. She handled easily and even had the wheels pointing out. I’ve flown over a 100 flights in the last 17 years and I have never seen anyone asked to do that exercise. Wrote to Southwest with the question was that taught in training or did attendant do on the fly. Received a canned response that did not address my central
question. Plan on writing a follow up letter direct to them for clarification. Safety is number one and the attendants on the complete flight were professional. My point to southwest was that does NOT appear the proposer way for safety of the plane and customer experience. Funny situation was that a different attendant moved a bag from one bin across the aisle and struggled to do safely as everyone was already seated. No verbal questions prior to the demonstration of strength to qualify her. Curious if we had not brought a carry on if they would have had her drop in aisle and do 10 pushups. Nothing concerned about weight of bag and how that impacts the listed items required to sit in the exit aisle on place card.
1. Curious has anyone seen that done
2. Seems odd to have attendant make up their own tests or if anyone knows if that is in their training.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 3:55 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
This would have made more sense on the 737-300 and -500 where you need to lift the window out of its socket abs toss it outside. The newer planes have a window lifting mechanism.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
This would have made more sense on the 737-300 and -500 where you need to lift the window out of its socket abs toss it outside. The newer planes have a window lifting mechanism.
Good point. Current Boeing 737’s emergency doors open automatically, so there’s no need to lift anything.

People finishing a 4th Kula Toasted Coconut Rum might be unable to lift their heads.
Boraxo and steved5480 like this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 5:48 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I've never seen an asked for demonstration in 100's of WN exit row seatings.

However if you listen closely to the spiel, there is a part about being able & willing to assist others. I've interpreted it as an obligation to hang back and physical throw/push others out the door should there be the slightest hesitation.

I've also wondered how well those lifting mechanism are going to work once the aluminum crinkles but I imagine engineers tested that...
Old Sep 21, 2023, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Wow

I love and fly SWA all the time - 95% over the past 10 years.

This is surely a FA on a power trip. And/or maybe the person did not look capable - but I am guessing that is not the case.

As asked above, what if they did not have a carryon. What "test" would they have done at that point.

EDIT: By the way, we sit in exit row 90% of the time. Maybe 30 flights over the past few years - never seen even one person asked.
Boraxo likes this.

Last edited by NoStressHere; Sep 22, 2023 at 7:45 am
Old Sep 21, 2023, 10:11 pm

Programs: SWA Alist, Companion Pass
I fly enough to be AL or AL+ for many years and typically sit in exit rows. While I've heard questions asked (i.e. can you physically handle requirements as I was wearing a wrist brace, or heard people asked if they are fluent enough in English), never have I ever seen a proof of ability. Probably never know what triggered the FA to single out your companion for "special treatment". I'd have minimal expectations of a specific response from Southwest.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 7:00 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Good point. Current Boeing 737’s emergency doors open automatically, so there’s no need to lift anything.

People finishing a 4th Kula Toasted Coconut Rum might be unable to lift their heads.
Has anyone opened a B737-NG overwing hatch? You may not have to lift up and out the whole door, but the handle does require a bit of force pressure to pull down. I would equate it to about the force needed to lift a full carry-on bag (maybe not up over the head, but at least up off the ground).

Still, this situation seems a bit odd.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 7:02 pm

How big is your companion?
Old Sep 24, 2023, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

5’4

She thought she was kidding. Feel at least to ask before going to step 3-4. She isn’t thin but not 250 pounds.Really wanted to confirm no one has seen on board. The wisdom of posters is very valuable to enhance my fying experience. . If SW had not sent a form letter would likely just let it drop. The wrong messaging. The fun attendants likely could pull off and when attempted just let it go. If that is one of their suggestions would have them reconsider. Lady was professional but just not as happy and I would have liked and struck us wrong. Plan on mailing to Dallas, y’all’s experience and see what they. Thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2023, 7:28 pm

This was a one-off. Let it go.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 7:06 am

Programs: AA, United, Southwest
Haven’t witnessed that but

I haven’t witnessed your situation but I have seen FA prevent someone from helping with luggage if they wanted to sit in the exit row
TGarza likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Somewhere stuck way back in my mind is a faint remembrance, maybe at the gate before boarding, of the opening seating arrangement, rules for the exit row including physically able to lift 50? pounds and demonstrate it if necessary. But a very long time ago.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 10:54 am

I have had FA's quite a few times not allow my husband to put my bag in the overhead bin when we are in the exit row. I can certainly stow my bag myself but being 5'4" it is just easier for my husband to do it...I was a FA for United for 25 years and even when the 737 doors were not mechanically assisted and you had to lift the door out and rest it on the row of seats in case of emergency, there was no lifting it above your head. And remembering the weight of that door...you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who could lift it over their head. I find this "strength test" ridiculous and back when I was a FA (1983-2008) it was never mentioned as a requirement and I never saw any FA's do it. In my case because I'm short and therefore putting my bag in the overhead bin is more challenging...it doesn't mean I can't open an exit window.
dc2, drooley and screeton like this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 1:29 pm

Programs: WN RR, DL SM, Hilton, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by Golfismylife1960
I haven’t witnessed your situation but I have seen FA prevent someone from helping with luggage if they wanted to sit in the exit row
I saw just this a couple weeks ago, DAL>CMH. Older gentleman unable to get his bag up into overhead. Next in line helped him, but when he tried to enter the exit row the mid-cabin FA told him no, if you can't lift your bag you can't sit in the exit row. I get it, anyone in that row needs to be physically capable, but in all my years I've never seen an FA say that.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 11:14 am

Happened to my wife in early October. I boarded first, got the LUV seats and grabbed her carryon to stow it and FA said "No she has to do it." It's a 737-800. Why? As mentioned earlier, window is on a hinge. My wife got the bag loaded just fine but was very embarrassed by the FA's attitude and is still extremely PO'ed with SWA. BTW my wife is in great shape, around 5 ft 6 inches and weighs about 140. Maybe less. Definitely does not look like a health risk to anyone. Kelleher's little airline that could is just a distant memory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.