Wiki Posts
Search

Current wifi status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2023, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Current wifi status

AA flyer with some upcoming WN travel. I searched the forum but didn't see an obvious answer. How is the upgraded wifi performing and is fleet-wide installation more or less complete?
Old Sep 20, 2023, 2:23 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Its definitely not fleet-wide from what I can tell. On several flights last week the FA announced that WiFi was not working or was spotty. One FA volunteered that she would not recommend paying $$ for WiFi, just enjoy the freebie stuff that was available. All of these flights were on 737-700s so they are probably the last priority to get the upgrade, if they get it at all.
dpb132 and steved5480 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 2:38 pm

Yesterday, 737-700 AUS-ATL, the FA announced before takeoff that the internet wasn't working. Sometimes that means the some features still work, like movies, live TV, flight tracker. Yesterday you couldn't see the Soutwest network to do anything. Yet the green light to the right of the forward EXIT light was on.
dpb132 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 2:55 pm

I fly weekly, and lately it's worked on about half of my flights and it's often been useless even when the green light is on.
dpb132 and screeton like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 8:48 am

I purchased the $8 WIFI for the first time yesterday even though short flight from LAS-OAK. WIFI was spotty and not really usable. Is that generally the case? I'm gonna tweet them and request a refund.
dc2 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 9:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Thankfully I get it for free, as I figure 25% of the time it's INOP for getting to the outside world, and some 50% of the time when it's up it's spotty, but good enough for E-mail and texts and such. Seems to have gotten worse over time, too.
smmrfld likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 10:34 am

Programs: LTP, PP
works great at the gate!
Old Oct 18, 2023, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
We get it free with our SWA credit cards.
But - it does not always work
Old Oct 20, 2023, 9:44 am

Over the past 12 months, I have flown about 15 SWA roundtrip flights - I can ony remember wifi working once, and even then it was spotty. I am A-List preferred so using it for free. I noticed that many times I hit the link for free wifi and it doesnt connect, but when I hit the "pay $8" link it goes to the link but I have not actually completed the pay process. I'm in and out of Houston Hobby.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 9:21 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I'm an infrequent flyer, so I only have a few data points from the past twelve months.
In all cases above I used the same device, a 2022 Samsung Android tablet.

BWI-MCO r/t, 2022-11-21 / 2022-11-29
BWI-MCO (Max8, 5AB), used only the IFE wi-fi to track flight progress and watch a movie. No problems throughout the flight.
MCO-BWI (Max8, 5AB), bought the full wi-fi and used for emails and general surfing, plus used the IFE to track flight progress and watch a movie. No problems throughout the flight.

BWI-ALB r/t, 2023-09-25 / 2023-09-27
BWI-ALB (Max8, 5AB), used only the IFE wi-fi to track flight progress and watch a movie. No problems throughout the flight.
ALB-BWI (700 w/ pre-Evolve cabin, 5AB), used only the IFE wi-fi to track flight progress and watch a movie. No problems throughout the flight.

BWI-LAS r/t, 2023-10-04 / 2023-10-18
BWI-LAS (Max8, 27AB), used only the IFE wi-fi to track flight progress and watch a movie. No problems throughout the flight.
LAS-BWI (Max8, 27AB), used only the IFE wi-fi to track flight progress and watch a movie. Flight tracking screwed up throughout the flight, movie cut out multiple times, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for up to a minute.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 8:48 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Since you are used to AA wifi (which in my experience is excellent), you will almost assuredly be disappointed in the WN product. I wouldn't count on being able to work on those flights. Even the upgraded wifi that is currently on some of the planes is substantially less than the AA product, imo.

WN just cannot get this right.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's awful. Absolutely useless perk to get it for free as A+.
m907 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:18 am

I'm wondering if it's my phone? I have a Note 22 Ultra using the latest Android version. It never seems to work (it did prior to 2023 fairly well, but lately always get an error. I can watch movies and TV fine.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 8:51 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN A-list preferred, United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Irazabul
I am A-List preferred so using it for free. I noticed that many times I hit the link for free wifi and it doesnt connect, but when I hit the "pay $8" link it goes to the link but I have not actually completed the pay process. I'm in and out of Houston Hobby.
This has happened on about 10 percent of my flights for the past few years.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 9:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Irazabul
I'm wondering if it's my phone?
I assure you it is not.
dlaue, m907 and synergistic like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.