Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking golf bag

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2023, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Checking golf bag

I’m flying to Asia this fall and already have ticket on Southwest to fly to LAX, then fly China Air to Chiangmai, Thailand. If I take my bag, it will be the second checked bag on both airlines. If I put them in my golf cover bag, will Southwest charge for being over the 62 inch limit? If so, I’m considering bubble wrapping the clubs and shrink wrapping the bag. It should be close to the 62 inch limit then. Going on 2 separate tickets, I don’t want to end up paying twice for oversized luggage. The bag will be under 50 pounds.

Last edited by Dean1953; Aug 15, 2023 at 9:32 am Reason: Added information
Old Aug 15, 2023, 9:39 am

Golf club travel bags, as well as a lot of other sport/camping equipment, aren't held to the 62-inch rule. Southwest will hold you to the 50 pound rule for an industry-standard golf travel bag. I travel with a hard-side spinner Samsonite golf case frequently, 14 clubs and limited other stuff in the bag allows for a couple pairs of shoes, caps, etc to also be in the case, under 50 pounds.

https://www.southwest.com/help/bagga...K=SITESEARCH/0

Golf equipment.

Golf bag in hard golf bag carrying case provided by Passenger, including clubs, balls, and shoes. Hooded golf bags or golf bags in a soft-sided carrying case provided by the Passenger will be conditionally accepted. Overweight charges will apply to golf bags exceeding 50 pounds.

12 x 16 x 54 inches = 82 inches
Attached Images  

Last edited by ftnoob; Aug 16, 2023 at 11:04 pm
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:03 pm

I flew Jet Blu yesterday and sat in row 5 with a clear view of the baggage handlers. Somebody checked there clubs in cheap bag cover. Man that thing must have hit the tarmac at least three times, club heads first, as they tried to throw it into a full cart.
Dean1953 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by edge
I flew Jet Blu yesterday and sat in row 5 with a clear view of the baggage handlers. Somebody checked there clubs in cheap bag cover. Man that thing must have hit the tarmac at least three times, club heads first, as they tried to throw it into a full cart.
I have a large hard-sided case that is sometimes unwieldy and I question whether I should just get one of the lighter, smaller soft cases. But then I see somebody's clubs getting manhandled at an airport or hotel and think nah, I'll stick with the hard case.

I've checked it on a bunch of different US and European airlines and no one has given me a problem about the dimensions. It's always under 50 lb / 22 kg. Never taken it to China though...
Old Aug 24, 2023, 2:50 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts relating to China Airlines have been moved to the following thread.
China Airlines policy for checking golf bags

/mod
Old Aug 24, 2023, 9:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
While a hard case will likely provide more protection than a soft sided case, they are a pain once you land and have to deal with transporting in a rental car. I’ve flown numerous times with a variety of soft travel bags and have never had an issue. (Hopefully that doesn’t come back at me).

I currently either use an XL Club Glove, if I’m trying to pack a few extras in there, or a lower end Taylor Made travel bag that will just fit a set of clubs and a pair of shoes. I have thought about by buying on of those stiff arms, but haven’t really look at them to make a decision.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
While a hard case will likely provide more protection than a soft sided case, they are a pain once you land and have to deal with transporting in a rental car. I’ve flown numerous times with a variety of soft travel bags and have never had an issue. (Hopefully that doesn’t come back at me).

I currently either use an XL Club Glove, if I’m trying to pack a few extras in there, or a lower end Taylor Made travel bag that will just fit a set of clubs and a pair of shoes. I have thought about by buying on of those stiff arms, but haven’t really look at them to make a decision.
Agree. I fly several times a year with a soft cover golf bag. Never arrived with a broken driver.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 11:49 am

I can move my hard-sided 4-wheeled spinner case thru the airport with 1 pinky
Old Aug 27, 2023, 10:04 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PP
I've used a soft travel case many times on WN - no issues and have arrived with my clubs safe and sound. Did not pay an oversize charge. I do use a Bag Boy Backbone support rod as additional top protection for the case which I do think helps!

Last edited by kstateinALB; Aug 28, 2023 at 9:16 am
Old Aug 27, 2023, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by kstateinALB
I've used a soft travel case many times on WN - no issues and have arrived with my clubs safe and sound. Did not pay an oversize charge like the others in this thread. I do use a Bag Boy Backbone support rod as additional top protection for the case which I do think helps!
No one in this thread has mentioned having to pay an oversize charge
Old Aug 28, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PP
Originally Posted by dmbolp
No one in this thread has mentioned having to pay an oversize charge
I apologize for misreading one of the replies - I've edited my reply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.