Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does multi-city count as one way?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2023, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Does multi-city count as one way?

Newb question, P2 recently registered for WN A-list match, which requires 3 RTs or 6 OWs in 90 days. She booked a multi-city BWI-AUS-SJC-HNL with HNL-SJC-MCI-BWI return, will this count as 6 OWs and earn her A-list or does WN view this as 2 OWs?
Old May 26, 2023, 8:54 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Beware and tread lightly as it appears they've taken a hard line with RT's or OW's, it seems to be one or the other exclusively.

If the entire trip is on one PNR, it should count as 1 RT

If the trip is broken up into 2 or more PNR's, it should count as the same number of OW's

Please correct me if wrong.

You would have to have a separate PNR for each leg to get the 6 OW's all at once for this trip. It is possible and might even price out favorably but you have to do the work.
Old May 28, 2023, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshua362
Beware and tread lightly as it appears they've taken a hard line with RT's or OW's, it seems to be one or the other exclusively.

If the entire trip is on one PNR, it should count as 1 RT

If the trip is broken up into 2 or more PNR's, it should count as the same number of OW's

Please correct me if wrong.

You would have to have a separate PNR for each leg to get the 6 OW's all at once for this trip. It is possible and might even price out favorably but you have to do the work.
Pretty sure there is no way to book more than one multi-city itin on a single ticket/PNR. At any rate, they don't count individual segments as a "one-way" for status match and it's probably safest to assume this trip will only count as two one-ways. Multi-city bookings consist of two fares (one for each search term and WN multi-city only permits 2 search terms) and could be booked as two one-ways on separate tickets in each direction (for a total of 4 one-ways) for same price (at most, it will be an extra $5.60 more for additional TSA tax) if done at time of booking. However, if this is already booked, OP would need to cancel and pay whatever the going fares are in order to book as 4 one-ways. You could also purchase each leg on a separate ticket (for a total of 6 tickets/one-ways), but that would most likely cost more as you would have 3 separate fares in each direction instead of 2.

There's no way to split apart multiple fares that have been booked on an existing ticket on a multi-city booking. Splitting PNRs is only possible when multiple tickets (not simply multiple fares) are involved such as when there are multiple passengers on one PNR (as each passenger has their own individual ticket).
joshua362 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; May 28, 2023 at 11:16 pm
Old May 29, 2023, 8:20 am

In April I used Multi-City to book SJO-HOU-ATL one-way with a 55 minute connection; Southwest didn't offer this route as a regular booking, I assume due to the under 1-hour connection. I got 2 flight credits towards AL status; don't know how it would be handled with any of their promotions.
Old May 29, 2023, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmbolp
In April I used Multi-City to book SJO-HOU-ATL one-way with a 55 minute connection; Southwest didn't offer this route as a regular booking, I assume due to the under 1-hour connection. I got 2 flight credits towards AL status; don't know how it would be handled with any of their promotions.
They frequently don't sell all possible connecting options, but in this case, the connection was well under 1h30m MCT for this itin and is likely the reason. At any rate, the multi-city itins will have exactly 2 fare components involved (even if there are more than 2 legs) and this is likely the best you can expect to get credited.
Old May 31, 2023, 5:38 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by dmbolp
Originally Posted by xliioper
They frequently don't sell all possible connecting options, but in this case, the connection was well under 1h30m MCT for this itin and is likely the reason. At any rate, the multi-city itins will have exactly 2 fare components involved (even if there are more than 2 legs) and this is likely the best you can expect to get credited.
to add….I live in DCA area and they don’t offer every possible route. For example DCA-AUS is a once a day back and forth route. You have only a limited number of connection options. If you look at a schedule you will see routes to sone cities with an hr or 2 layover unavailable for booking like flying to Denver.

Connection time can be less than an hour. I think their limit is around 30-35 minutes.
Old May 31, 2023, 5:44 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by fangtl
Newb question, P2 recently registered for WN A-list match, which requires 3 RTs or 6 OWs in 90 days. She booked a multi-city BWI-AUS-SJC-HNL with HNL-SJC-MCI-BWI return, will this count as 6 OWs and earn her A-list or does WN view this as 2 OWs?
read the fine print.

if she booked BWI-SJC with a stop in Austin’s this could count as just a one way. Similarly if ir was BWI-SJC with a stop in AUS and no plane change then transferred to HNL could count as a one way.

if she booked these as separate one way with different conf numbers then they would count as one way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.