Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New MCI Gets Attention

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2023, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

WN ferried 5 "special liveries" for MCI opening day.

My boss calls the design "soothing and functional, not groundbreaking." Glass jetways were his wow.

A playroom for kids with disabilities is a nice touch.

Two giant BBQ smokers, maybe not.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LegalTender
This is awesome, actually. Previous attempts to have barbecue at MCI were never any good - in part because I don't think they had the equipment onsite.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 4:36 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by LegalTender
WN ferried 5 "special liveries" for MCI opening day.

My boss calls the design "soothing and functional, not groundbreaking." Glass jetways were his wow.

A playroom for kids with disabilities is a nice touch.

Out on WN #904 at 5am to MDW, back at MCI before 10am this morning.

Tell your boss a "local" FF that has been doing this since our airport was KMKC says he/she are spot-on re: the "soothing & functional, not groundbreaking" summation.

It's nice... lots of light. The Glass Jetways are way cool - how they go about keeping the glass clean remains to be seen.
LegalTender likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Honestly, a functional airport *should* be the goal.

The prior one was groundbreaking - set up for a world where TWA Boeing 2707's would whisk us nonstop to all corners of the globe. It was a unique design that won all sorts of awards and was still a great airport for O&D right up until the TSA era. At which point, it became decidedly nonfunctional...
Old Mar 1, 2023, 8:09 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I loved it as a frequent visitor to KC. Got a few years in before 9/11, blew my mind that every 2 gates had it own screening. Just a delight.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
The new MCI (KCI) is shiny new, functional and right sized currently for the needs of the KC metro area and surrounding that it serves. Centralized security screening, food, modern restrooms and other amenities beyond security are a dream come true compared to the old terminals. AA gates at the old terminal C had one each a tiny men and woman’s restrooms beyond security. Usually a line and filthy. In recent years we would often have to stand to wait for our flights at the AA gates because of limited seating.

The shiny new MCI (KCI) that opened in the fall of 1972, for its time was groundbreaking. TWA spearheaded the design. Then Kansas City was a TWA hub, its headquarters, flight attendant training academy, and its major maintenance facility was already at MCI. Ah, some fond memories of that, but long in the past. So glad to have this beautiful new airport now.
joshua362, dc2, lougord99 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davesam12
TWA spearheaded the design. Then Kansas City was a TWA hub, its headquarters, flight attendant training academy, and its major maintenance facility was already at MCI.
Eero Saarinin's iconic TWA Center at JFK (Idelwild) had a KC twin.

davesam12 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 6:09 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.

A 12 minute video of the new airport terminal.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 6:00 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Well done, Kansas City.

Very nice terminal. Lots of restaurants. Lots of seats with plug-ins at every seat. Still have free wifi that seems to be faster. Moving walkways. A single pickup and dropoff point for all rental cars, so that with the same number of buses ( I assume its the same number) there is a bus picking up at the terminal and leaving the rental car facility every couple of minutes or less. Spacious, well manned TSA area. Just a pleasant, uncrowded feeling in general - the exact opposite of the old terminal.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 9:54 am

Is 90 minute international to domestic connection enough at MCI? WN sold me a ticket with this short layover. I have global entry but will travel with checked bag.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 10:00 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by leonidas
Is 90 minute international to domestic connection enough at MCI? WN sold me a ticket with this short layover. I have global entry but will travel with checked bag.
Assuming your inbound international arrival is reasonably on-time, yes.
jjbiv likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.