Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Fuel stop on short flight (due to poor ops/planning):Are we entitled to compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fuel stop on short flight (due to poor ops/planning):Are we entitled to compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2023, 4:48 am
Original Poster

We flew #1540 from Kansas City to New York (Lga) yesterday and had to make an unexpected and annoying fuel stop in Islip. The stated reason was that due to congestion and the number of planes in front of us, that we didn’t have enough fuel to circle.

Are you kidding me? How does a 737 run out of fuel on an 1,100 mile flight? Who could have anticipated congestion flying into New York?

The weather was fine and the faa website said Lga operations were normal “with delays of under 15 minutes”. Our flight was originally scheduled to land at 745 pm and eventually arrived at 910, so it wasn’t the worst delay in terms of time. But it was frustrating and very disruptive for a school night.

How is Southwest about giving compensation in these situations?
Old Jan 17, 2023, 4:56 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Mr. S
Are you kidding me? How does a 737 run out of fuel on an 1,100 mile flight? Who could have anticipated congestion flying into New York?

No compensation is owed. You didn't run out of fuel, your captain decided to not violate FAA safety reserve fuel requirements. They took off with industry standard requirements based on forecast weather, delays, and diversion airport weather.

​​​​​​Hope you thanked the flight deck.crew on your way out.

Next time fly an airline that enjoys risking flying in engine flameout conditions.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 5:51 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Flying into NYC in the evening and only having a 1.5 hour delay sounds like a win to me! I can assure you that the cost from the diversion to WN is enough punishment for them.
jjbiv, njf1003 and nineworldseries like this.

Last edited by pgh234; Jan 17, 2023 at 9:30 am
Old Jan 17, 2023, 7:16 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
You also don't know everything that occurred. Perhaps ATC forced them to fly at an unexpected level with a much greater than expected head wind.

This diversion also cost Southwest money. They certainly do not purposely under fuel planes.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 7:36 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Everyone does not get a trophy for participation...
joshua362 and kennycrudup like this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 8:07 am

You do not deserve any compensation IMO.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 8:11 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
We flew #1540 from Kansas City to New York (Lga) yesterday and had to make an unexpected and annoying fuel stop in Islip. The stated reason was that due to congestion and the number of planes in front of us, that we didn’t have enough fuel to circle.

The weather was fine and the faa website said Lga operations were normal “with delays of under 15 minutes”. Our flight was originally scheduled to land at 745 pm and eventually arrived at 910, so it wasn’t the worst delay in terms of time. But it was frustrating and very disruptive for a school night.

nope……this is one of those unexpected delays like weather you don’t get comp for.

Nyc is a busy airspace.
they had the standard fuel amount for the load and distance when they took off snd their destination. LGA has shorter runways. Excess Fuel adds weight and stopping distance on landing.

I believe there is an extra tropical storm out in the Atlantic which also stirred up much stronger head winds when circling. Strong headwinds also eats fuel use.

LGA is also very busy with slot priorities. I don’t know how much thus played into it without knowing how early/ late the flight or other flights were when entering LGA ATZc
Old Jan 17, 2023, 8:48 am

Why ATC couldn't slot them back into the traffic flow is well above our pay grade.

Fuel - Diversion to Weather Alternate

kennycrudup likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 9:25 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Nice find, they clearly had a hold over Pennsylvania, perhaps even in weather.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond

If an unplanned fuel stop makes you that annoyed, maybe you should try driving next time. Just because the weather around LGA is fine, it doesn't mean the weather around the flight path is fine. There may have been no congestion when you departed but weather could have played a part after departure, creating congestion for other flights. No compensation will even be considered on Southwest's part.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 11:39 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Did you miss a connection?
Old Jan 17, 2023, 3:02 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Why ATC couldn't slot them back into the traffic flow is well above our pay grade.

Fuel - Diversion to Weather Alternate

Originally Posted by joshua362
Nice find, they clearly had a hold over Pennsylvania, perhaps even in weather.

This is from today. Yesterday it was more interesting with this thing of the coast that might get classified as a sub- tropical storm that also produced winds.
joshua362 and hhdl like this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 4:54 pm

Well, this didn’t go the way the OP expected
Old Jan 17, 2023, 5:14 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I'm actually shocked how quick the routing was ISP-LGA. Something to be grateful for. It could have been a bus.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...147Z/KISP/KLGA
ryw likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Interestingly this same flight was cancelled the following day (Tuesday the 17th).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.