Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest already on the mend; launches new flight between DCA and IAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2022, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass

Unless they really needed that bird in DCA, one thinks the staff could have taken the metro or Uber.

Pic courtesy of https://twitter.com/jonostrower/status/1608687024147517440?s=46&t=HhnwLeqMf1iZN_Wq3iEo5Q
N830MH, wrldwide1, becks1 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 10:23 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
WNs first PDB service.
hhdl likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 8:00 am
dc2

Programs: Marriott: LTP
Darn! That would have made a great mileage run... And then the next obvious flyertalk question: " I wonder if they served drinks on that flight?"
joshua362, ryw and northinsouth like this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 10:39 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
That’d be a fun segment to fly! I believe 8000 numbered flights used to be for maintenance/dispatch/charters. And WN has a bigger operation out of DCA than IAD so I guess the repositioning makes sense.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by ryw
That’d be a fun segment to fly! I believe 8000 numbered flights used to be for maintenance/dispatch/charters. And WN has a bigger operation out of DCA than IAD so I guess the repositioning makes sense.
I'm thinking its a charter flight for a defense contractor. They'll submit the bill to Uncle Sam for reimbursement.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 9:18 pm

Programs: WN A+ Preffered CP, DL SK GOld, AA Gold
WA had daily SLC/IAD/DCA service. Took it a couple of times. You barely are in the air and you’re starting to land.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 10:21 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by winston vickers
WA had daily SLC/IAD/DCA service. Took it a couple of times. You barely are in the air and you’re starting to land.

Old Dec 30, 2022, 11:49 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
30 years ago I took a flight out of SFO with a stop at OAK to pick up more passengers. The FA's demonstrated the oxygen masks, then the pilot announced that we would be cruising at 5000 feet.
northinsouth and dc2 like this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by nsx
30 years ago I took a flight out of SFO with a stop at OAK to pick up more passengers. The FA's demonstrated the oxygen masks, then the pilot announced that we would be cruising at 5000 feet.
Did they retract the landing gears?

David
GVR Bill and screeton like this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 9:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; AA Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Gold
In the 1980s, I was on a CO flight from IAH-FLL. It had a stop in MIA. I recall the taxi out at MIA seemed really long, and I wondered if we were just going to take I-95.
nsx, hhdl, leonidas and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by ryw
DCA is much bigger. IAD has 2 flights a day roughly to MDW, DEN, and ATL

DCA flies to Florida snd just about all airports in the central time zone and some secondary eastern cities. They do this for political/ lobbying reasons

ifcongress does something in response to what happened , don’t be surprise to see drop in these services to secondary airports
Old Dec 31, 2022, 11:00 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
There have been some DCA-BWIand I’ve seen denver-Colorado springs

When will hobby IAH occur and MDW-ORD and Bsy area snd metro LA hops
Old Dec 31, 2022, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL,EK
USAir used to fly from ORD to Elmira and then Ithaca in a DC-9, about 30 miles. I did it once and the gear was not raised. We took off to the northeast, climbed perhaps 2-3,000 feet, made a left turn and landed.
joshua362, Auto Enthusiast and ryw like this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by GVR Bill
In the 1980s, I was on a CO flight from IAH-FLL. It had a stop in MIA. I recall the taxi out at MIA seemed really long, and I wondered if we were just going to take I-95.
Over the years lots of FLL-MIA-FLL flights usually aircraft positioning but years back had tag on revenue flights.
I worked at MIA airport but actually lived near FLL was going to NAS flew FLL-MIA made a connection at MIA to NAS that was on EA.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by djp98374
There have been some DCA-BWIand I’ve seen denver-Colorado springs

When will hobby IAH occur and MDW-ORD and Bsy area snd metro LA hops
Jetblue did some metro LA hops during a short period where one of the major freeways had to be entirely closed for some kind of construction.
joshua362 and Auto Enthusiast like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.