Search

Believable they will recover tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2022, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Believable they will recover tomorrow

So I am here in Park City with reservation for the LAST flight from SLC to PHX. I have four tickets to the Fiesta bowl, do I feel luck and believe the email they sent me, or drive.

N830MH likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: AS MVP, DL Silv
Last flight of the day, 3 others depending on your call to make the game. Foolproof answer is to drive IMHO.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 9:02 am

Programs: DL Plat
They’ve canceled almost 2,400 flights today so far… massive scale on par with the previous few days. For them to suddenly be back to normal tomorrow would be a miracle. I wouldn’t bet on it at all.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 9:05 am

Someone on tv last night said a SW plane crash would not have been as painful to their long-term reputation as this meltdown as it would be one isolated incident. I disagree. In a plane crash people die. This past week people have been severely inconvenienced.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
It ain’t happening.

you can drive to Phoenix in a day or buy AA or DL direct flight.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Don't plan on getting home in a hurry. PHX will be wx challenged on 1-1-23.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Disengenious!

So I get the email all is good, but find this online from their spokesman, you’d think they’d see the benefit of being open and transparent, too much to ask?

… spokesperson for Southwest said that the carrier is continuing to operate on a “reduced schedule by flying roughly one third of our schedule through Thursday, as of now.”

When asked whether travel woes will continue, the spokesperson said that they “have no updates or adjustments to share regarding Friday's schedule.”
becks1 and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 9:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
You need to define words like normal and recover.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Someone on tv last night said a SW plane crash would not have been as painful to their long-term reputation as this meltdown as it would be one isolated incident. I disagree. In a plane crash people die. This past week people have been severely inconvenienced.
A crash is a tragedy beyond words, but comes down to the cause. Looking at the 737max Boeing suffered but we still buy and fly Max.

Lots of public apologies blah blah blah, and I am sure government will use this to possible put new legislation and restriction in place all for the good of us all, LOL

People will say what they want but SW will still be here flying and maybe a few demotion or resignations will occur, but the tens of thousand missed family gatherings, vacations will never happen because of clear poor modernization and planning is clear now.

It would be nice if they could be more transparent
N830MH likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 9:26 am

If SW is saying it, assume it's fiction. They have shown an amazing lack of understanding on how to deal with this. They want to 'pretend' it's not happening and hope we won't notice.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
No one knows, including Southwest. You could change for free to one of earlier flights in the day and then drive if that cancels.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: AS 75K, southwest A+, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire ambassador
I was scheduled to fly on Christmas Day out of LGB to Hou. Saw that the flight was canceled at 10 pm on the 24, so made alternate reservations on UAL. Return was scheduled for yesterday, 12/28 to LGB. WN canceled most of flights to LGB with the exception of mine. Still, booked my return for the following day, just in case WN’s promise fell through. Once at Hobby, and the folate was at the gate, I canceled my alternate booking. However, while waiting to board, they announced there was a mechanical problem that would delay boarding. Fortunately, they resolved it in half an hour and the flight took off. Plane had quite a few empty seats. Assumed everyone on board had booked originally and not any reassignments.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 10:03 am

In the interest of playing devil's advocate, they have had at least three days to get all their pieces where they need to be thanks to the mass cancellations. Every day they prolong this, the cost will go up considerably. Is it really inconceivable that they will be able to get their aircraft and crew in position by the end of today? While their IT system is obviously outdated, they certainly have the logistical ability to move planes and people around the country in a timely manner. I would be interested in hearing from actual WN employees on what is going on behind the scenes today.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by downinit
In the interest of playing devil's advocate, they have had at least three days to get all their pieces where they need to be thanks to the mass cancellations. Every day they prolong this, the cost will go up considerably. Is it really inconceivable that they will be able to get their aircraft and crew in position by the end of today? While their IT system is obviously outdated, they certainly have the logistical ability to move planes and people around the country in a timely manner. I would be interested in hearing from actual WN employees on what is going on behind the scenes today.
I could argue it should have taken no more than two days but here we are mass cancellations still, no?

One day isn’t to much to figure out where everything is and then a day to reposition. The issues run far deeper I suspect.
joshua362 and senor hamachi like this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by Tanic
Don't plan on getting home in a hurry. PHX will be wx challenged on 1-1-23.
repeat this. pretty good system running through, possibly next winter storm.
becks1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.