Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest's Christmas 2022 meltdown - phones, chat shut down, RR points compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest's Christmas 2022 meltdown - phones, chat shut down, RR points compensation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2022, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
It will be Friday or later until they’ve managed to reset this..
Could be right..

"A Denver SWA rep just said over the intercom that bags are heading to final destination, even if the flight they were scheduled on is cancelled."

- Rob Harris, Denver7 News
Old Dec 26, 2022, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
While the DOT may not impose civil or criminal penalties, they (and the FAA) have the ability to require something much worse: documentation. WN and LUV can be required to provide the government with reams of data and detailed reports, detailed explanations, requiring and army of staff and lawyers to spends thousands of hours at the company's expense. Any irregularities can then result in detailed corrective actions.

No different than making extra efforts to avoid IRS audits and lawsuits - even if you do everything right, the cost in time and $$ to defend yourself can be overwhelming.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I don't know how they'll clean this up without buying tickets on other carriers for displaced pax. 70% of schedule cancelled today, 60% tomorrow? No way you're going to make that up in a reasonable time frame with a couple seats here and there over the next week on WN's own metal.
MSP_Monopoly likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Here's a free link (beyond WSJ's paywall) to today's WSJ's article on Southwest's meltdown:Southwest Airlines Cancels About Two-Thirds of Flights as Woes Spiral
prestonh likes this.

Last edited by Peter T.; Dec 26, 2022 at 7:45 pm
Old Dec 26, 2022, 7:42 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
In addition to the 60% of schedule already cancelled tomorrow they are up to 27% cancelled for Wednesday!

At some point it's really not weather anymore...and WN should be paying for hotels/meals for all these stranded pax.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
What a show today. I flew WN out of SRQ, rolling delays for seemingly most flights, others were just cancelled. A GA announced from the podium that their system was completely down. My flight finally got out 2+ hours late. Upon landing in HOU I was surprised how quiet the terminal was, but then I realized it was because so many flights were cancelled. The baggage claim was like a mosh pit. Untold numbers of canceled flights worth of pax were waiting for their bags to be offloaded and delivered back to them. The line for the WN baggage service office wound all the way back down the hallway towards the intl baggage claim area. Some pax were yelling that they had been waiting since noon for their bags (and this was at about 4:45 pm).

I mean this was the screen at baggage claim:

Old Dec 26, 2022, 7:53 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
WSJ just updated the above-linked article to report that WN plans to operate only slightly more than a third of the Tuesday or Wednesday schedule.

"Southwest plans to operate just over one third of its schedule over the coming days"
Old Dec 26, 2022, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Don’t know if this is true or photoshopped but a friend just sent me this
Old Dec 26, 2022, 8:08 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
WN canceled all remaining flights out of SAN today, at around 1pm.

It’s 70-77 and Sunny in San Diego today. Thousands of customers are not going to be happy if WN declares their cancellations to be a weather event.

At some point there will be a large enough outcry that WN’s operational strategy and flight route distribution will not be an acceptable explanation. While I understand why a weather event in Chicago can affect WN’s operations in SAN, that explanation doesn’t make much sense to the hordes of holiday travelers.

IF WN is to retain that strategy, they need to have wider operational margins.
Justin026, KansasMike and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 8:20 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
If a flight was booked on points but I paid $20 for Early Bird (each way), and the flight is cancelled, do they refund my $20 Early Bird Fee? I know they return my points and $5.60 TSA fee.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 8:26 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by FCfree
If a flight was booked on points but I paid $20 for Early Bird (each way), and the flight is cancelled, do they refund my $20 Early Bird Fee? I know they return my points and $5.60 TSA fee.
I don’t know the policy, but they should. I wouldn’t spend any time on it right now… I’d wait until January 8th or so and call in around 6am and request the refund.

From transportation.gov:

MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 8:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by twitch76
WN canceled all remaining flights out of SAN today, at around 1pm. It’s 70-77 and Sunny in San Diego today. Thousands of customers are not going to be happy if WN declares their cancellations to be a weather event.
Looks to be the same out of SNA; I need to get to SMF tomorrow (well, sometime this week) and based on the conversations I've had with the crew on these flights, most of them stay within California, and SNA-SMF isn't even close to affected by weather; hell, I may even drive.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 8:58 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by halls120
When an airline canceled 66% of its flights nationwide today, and their competition is registering cancellations in single digits, Southwest can't blame the weather.
um yes and no…..

Alaska can hit such numbers if Seattle is hit with a snow/ ice storm.
Jet Blue gets it in nor’easters

now United, American, and delta have many hubs. Pre consolidation when airlines had 1-2 hubs a bad weather e ent affecting one of those hubs caused chaos.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Looks to be the same out of SNA; I need to get to SMF tomorrow (well, sometime this week) and based on the conversations I've had with the crew on these flights, most of them stay within California, and SNA-SMF isn't even close to affected by weather; hell, I may even drive.

very little got into/out of SMF today on WN. If you need to be up here on a schedule, be prepared to drive or grab a seat out of LAX on another airline (if you can find one)

coast starlight is another option but Amtrak doesn’t have a great on time record either
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I’d drive.
KansasMike, MSP_Monopoly and m907 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.