WN looking for big expansion in LAS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2022, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
WN looking for big expansion in LAS

https://www.nnbw.com/news/2022/dec/1...p_zRvqccZkAqN0

Southwest looking for big expansion in Vegas sooner than later. More new routes, adding more new nonstop, and new international flights, as well.

Let the speculation begin!!
Old Dec 14, 2022, 6:13 am

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
Would love a direct flight from RSW.
N830MH likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 6:36 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Personally, I'd rather they restore more nonstops to ONT.
tatterdema likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 7:41 am

I love the idea of international routes (hello weekends in Mexico!), I’ll very happily settle for a return of the nonstop routes that we had in 2019. And some of the frequencies too!
willywilkes likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards A+, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Honors, IHG Rewards
New airport

What is really intriguing to me is the proposed 'relief' airport. This is the first that I heard of it. Didn't think an airport could be placed in more of a 'no mans land' than DEN was ~27 years ago. Alas, I think the area between Primm and Jean fits that bill.
m907, flg8rmatt and DenverBrian like this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Anywhere on the road
What is really intriguing to me is the proposed 'relief' airport. This is the first that I heard of it. Didn't think an airport could be placed in more of a 'no mans land' than DEN was ~27 years ago. Alas, I think the area between Primm and Jean fits that bill.
How exactly do they expect that to work? No one is going to want to fly out there if LAS is still an option, and I don't see LAS being shut down.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: Hilton, Delta, Hyatt, MGM
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
How exactly do they expect that to work? No one is going to want to fly out there if LAS is still an option, and I don't see LAS being shut down.
Before the recession when they paused the airport construction, I think the plan was to send cargo traffic and then sand passenger traffic to LAS.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 3:44 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
The basis for this speculation is this quote:

"Four months ago, we talked to Southwest Airlines and I know they are looking at an incredible expansion on the number of flights that they have coming into Las Vegas, in the hundreds-of-thousands range,” said Terry Reynolds, director of the Nevada Department of Business and Industry.“That's on an annual basis but still they are going to be moving more staff into the Las Vegas area,”
Hundreds of thousands of additional flights per year? This is total BS.
NoStressHere and steved5480 like this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd put more credence in the story if they had a quote from an actual WN leader or spokesperson about the supposed expansion. Connecting the dots that one of their officers living in LAS means there will be "a major development and major increase in their traffic over the next couple of years"* on the order of "hundreds of thousands" of additional flights (annually), claimed by a rah-rah local Chamber of Commerce type of cheerleader / booster-person, makes me a little skeptical. But I am cynical by nature.

* Actual quote from the article and boosterperson:
They have one of their chief executive officers who lives in Las Vegas, so they are looking at a major development and major increase in their traffic over the next couple of years.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 4:19 pm

I think any reasonable interpretation of the comment would assume it referred to the number of additional pax, not flights.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 9:30 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by smmrfld
I think any reasonable interpretation of the comment would assume it referred to the number of additional pax, not flights.
Southwest carried over15 million passengers at LAS in the first ten months of 2022, hundreds of thousands more per year would not be a significant increase.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 9:35 pm

MSP/LAS nonstop debuted daily just before covid.............then of course it was gone as nobody was flying.

I would LOVE to see a daily ( or at least March - October ) MSP/LAS and LAS/MSP.

Delta appears to have 4 - 7 ( depending on time of year) daily non stop MSP/LAS.

Sun Country and Spirit also offer NS service MSP/LAS so I would guess there are enough passengers for WN to get it's toe in the water.
N830MH and jebr like this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 4:52 pm

Programs: WN A+ Preffered CP, DL SK GOld, AA Gold
The Ivanpah airport was proposed years ago for a couple of reasons. They wanted to attract cargo and get them out of California and congested LAX basin. They wanted to attract more international trans pac flights and make it a connecting point for other US cities. Think a Korean Air flight arrives and DL is waiting. LAS is surrounded by the city and there’s not much more room to build and thousands of folks moving in every month. One idea was to limit flights into and out of LAS to 500 miles, getting the vast SoCal market easy access to the strip. Carriers howled at the idea of selling customers tickets from the east coast to the new airport and then make them take a shuttle/tram to the strip for 30 miles. I know that WN is expanding LAS, BWI and DEN. Just waiting for aircraft .
vegasbased likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 6:02 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards A+, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Honors, IHG Rewards
BWI

Originally Posted by winston vickers
The Ivanpah airport was proposed years ago for a couple of reasons. They wanted to attract cargo and get them out of California and congested LAX basin. They wanted to attract more international trans pac flights and make it a connecting point for other US cities. Think a Korean Air flight arrives and DL is waiting. LAS is surrounded by the city and there’s not much more room to build and thousands of folks moving in every month. One idea was to limit flights into and out of LAS to 500 miles, getting the vast SoCal market easy access to the strip. Carriers howled at the idea of selling customers tickets from the east coast to the new airport and then make them take a shuttle/tram to the strip for 30 miles. I know that WN is expanding LAS, BWI and DEN. Just waiting for aircraft .
Man, I really hope that BWI expansion you speak of includes more than the paltry handful of non-stops presently offered anywhere west of DEN. I've probably said this in other threads, but, I could nab any one of numerous daily non-stops to PDX, SAN, SMF, SLC pre 2020.
m907 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 7:47 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by vegasbased
Before the recession when they paused the airport construction, I think the plan was to send cargo traffic and then sand passenger traffic to LAS.
Did they actually start building it? I was looking for it on Google Earth but I don't think I went far enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.