Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Last name error. Wanna Get Away Points ticket.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2022, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.

I messed up when making a reservation. So, now, I am trying to find the cheapest way to fix it.

I noticed that the last name for my companion is wrong. Maye an autofill error. First, Middle, and birthdate are all correct.

It's more than 24 hours from making the reservation. The trip is in a couple of weeks.

The SouthWest call center wanted $150 to change the last name.

I am considering cancelling and rebooking at the full-rate using points. Any other ideas?

Thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I think you've given contradictory information here.

Is this a points booking, companion pass booking or a cash booking?

If points just cancel it and rebook it with the proper name. No charge except extra points if the fare as gone up.

I can't figure how the $150 charge comes into play unless you booked with cash.

Good luck

Last edited by joshua362; Nov 19, 2022 at 8:31 am
Old Nov 20, 2022, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
All tickets can be cancelled within 24 hours.

then rebook
Old Nov 20, 2022, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
All tickets can be cancelled within 24 hours.
OP said: "It's more than 24 hours from making the reservation. "
Old Nov 20, 2022, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
If the "companion" is someone close. (spouse, etc)... you can cancel and the credit will be in their account.

BUT - maybe you did not enter their FF account number?
Old Nov 20, 2022, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
I messed up when making a reservation. So, now, I am trying to find the cheapest way to fix it.

I noticed that the last name for my companion is wrong. Maye an autofill error. First, Middle, and birthdate are all correct.

It's more than 24 hours from making the reservation. The trip is in a couple of weeks.

The SouthWest call center wanted $150 to change the last name.

I am considering cancelling and rebooking at the full-rate using points. Any other ideas?

Thanks.
how far off is the actual last name vs what's on the ticket? One letter? Completely different?
Old Nov 20, 2022, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by justhere
how far off is the actual last name vs what's on the ticket? One letter? Completely different?
Completely different. (mine). The error is demonstrably nothing more than an oops (No shenanigans).
Yes, looks best to just cancel and rebook using (higher) points.
Yes, I was booking in a hurry and didn't have their Rapid Rewards number when making the booking.
$150 came into play because the call center want the $.
Thanks for the thoughts.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:36 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Years ago I booked a trip backwards, from destination to origin. This happened a few different times, due to latency on the web page when I was booking a series of one way trips back and forth. In each case the airport staff allowed me to take the flight I had intended.

I don’t know if airport staff have the ability to correct a name, but if they do I bet they would accommodate you.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 11:28 am

Add a RR # and see if it auto corrects the name.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Isn't name correction a money grab ? To the best of my knowledge, there is no US or FAA rule against airlines changing the name on a ticket. If it is a money grab, then it seems unlikely that they will do it for free at the airport.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Completely different. (mine). The error is demonstrably nothing more than an oops (No shenanigans).
Yes, looks best to just cancel and rebook using (higher) points.
Yes, I was booking in a hurry and didn't have their Rapid Rewards number when making the booking.
$150 came into play because the call center want the $.
Thanks for the thoughts.
There's an easy way around it depending on your risk tolerance.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justhere
There's an easy way around it depending on your risk tolerance.
And???

Gonna guess maybe this solution.
To solve the TSA name check issue, you can buy another ticket on a different flight, go through TSA and then cancel. When you board, it does not matter if your name is Mickey Mouse, they just scan the boarding pass.
jjbiv and PebbleBeach like this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
And???

Gonna guess maybe this solution.
To solve the TSA name check issue, you can buy another ticket on a different flight, go through TSA and then cancel. When you board, it does not matter if your name is Mickey Mouse, they just scan the boarding pass.
You said it, not me.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
Years ago I booked a trip backwards, from destination to origin. This happened a few different times, due to latency on the web page when I was booking a series of one way trips back and forth. In each case the airport staff allowed me to take the flight I had intended.

I don’t know if airport staff have the ability to correct a name, but if they do I bet they would accommodate you.
Glad your reverse trips worked out for you.

I know someone who recently had a 1 letter error in their first name and was, eventually, told that can be accommodated. Perhaps one letter errors aren't considered a "name change" and is handled as a "spelling error".
Old Nov 28, 2022, 8:59 am
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
Glad your reverse trips worked out for you.

I know someone who recently had a 1 letter error in their first name and was, eventually, told that can be accommodated. Perhaps one letter errors aren't considered a "name change" and is handled as a "spelling error".
We consider "name corrections" and "name changes" two different things.
A name change is not allowed (and a complete different last name would be considered a change).
A name correction of a letter or two (or from Bob, to Robert for ID purposes) is allowed, and some of those can be done self-service on the website.

Just realized this is a points booking, so it cannot be self-served online.

Last edited by SWAVictor; Nov 28, 2022 at 10:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.