Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this scheduling inconsistency "normal"?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Is this scheduling inconsistency "normal"?

WN started service out of EUG in the past year or so. We're finally going to use it, non-stop to LAS.

What I found odd is that every day the one and only non-stop is at a different time: on consecutive days it can depart at 11:15, 12:20, 2:25, 12:05, etc., etc. (this was around our dates in mid-Sept).

Conversely their 2 non-stops to OAK always seem to be at the same time - 6:30 am and 3:30 pm.

Just thought it was odd. But happy to only have 2 hours to Vegas instead of trekking through SEA on Alaska for a usual total of 6 or so.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:25 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Nobody can explain scheduling results. The process is largely automated.
lougord99 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
WN started service out of EUG in the past year or so. We're finally going to use it, non-stop to LAS.

What I found odd is that every day the one and only non-stop is at a different time: on consecutive days it can depart at 11:15, 12:20, 2:25, 12:05, etc., etc. (this was around our dates in mid-Sept).

Conversely their 2 non-stops to OAK always seem to be at the same time - 6:30 am and 3:30 pm.

Just thought it was odd. But happy to only have 2 hours to Vegas instead of trekking through SEA on Alaska for a usual total of 6 or so.
it has to do with scheduling and crew rest. It’s true with other cities you don’t get the same exact routing every day.

on the west coast the routes are more or less out and back. Enteral California citues to thr PNW thrn fly back to central CA thrn down to SoCal cities and rinse and repeat.

flightdps from vegas and denver are planes coming from elsewhere so crew schedules factor into this routing and operational/needed rest times.

unlike other airlines, southwest does far more route continuation. Main airlines using smaller planes do hub- spoke feeder flights to the hubs then the large planes run between hubs and larger cities. With back and forth planes you can set routine schedules daily.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by nsx
Nobody can explain scheduling results. The process is largely automated.
therr is not blind automation to it like rolling dice
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:00 pm

Prior to the current software, the flight schedule could only have two options: Saturday and not-Saturday. Once the new systems were implemented, flight schedules could vary by day to meet demand more precisely.

My guess is that the time variance is due to bookable connections and/or the aircraft lines for the day. Geographically, EUG < > OAK traffic is likely going up and down the west coast, with a high frequency of connections to SoCal, or over to Hawai‘i. EUG < > LAS traffic is probably a much higher connection percentage, so flight times need to align with legal midwest and east coast connections that may only have 1 or 2 flights/day.

Crew rest/scheduling is always a factor but I don't think that's what these times indicate.
joshua362 and steved5480 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:18 am

Just went through the schedule.

it looks like the same plane ( different flight numbers) is an OAK-EUG-LAS route

looking mid July a plane looks like its

MDW-LAS-BUR-SJC-EUG thrn probably goes back to vegas on a different number.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by fiuchris
Prior to the current software, the flight schedule could only have two options: Saturday and not-Saturday. Once the new systems were implemented, flight schedules could vary by day to meet demand more precisely.

My guess is that the time variance is due to bookable connections and/or the aircraft lines for the day. Geographically, EUG < > OAK traffic is likely going up and down the west coast, with a high frequency of connections to SoCal, or over to Hawai‘i. EUG < > LAS traffic is probably a much higher connection percentage, so flight times need to align with legal midwest and east coast connections that may only have 1 or 2 flights/day.

Crew rest/scheduling is always a factor but I don't think that's what these times indicate.
Are you sure about the part I bolded in your quote above? IIRC there used to be many flights scheduled Mon-Fri only (i.e. not Sat or Sun), although there were far fewer Mon-Fri only compared to Sun-Fri flights.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:55 pm

Until Amadeus in 2017, the Sunday - Friday schedule was the same and Saturday was different.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...iers-evolution

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/sou...vation-system/
steved5480 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.