Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

More than 1,300 Southwest Airlines Pilots protest along Mockingbird Lane at DAL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2022, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

Article on MSN:
More than 1,300 Southwest Airlines pilots stood on a picket line Tuesday in Dallas, sounding off about what they say are unfair working conditions and inadequate pay, according to the pilots' union.
Link: NBCNews on MSN.com - More than 1,300 Southwest Airlines pilots march on picket line, say they're overworked and underpaid (June 21, 2022)

And a Twitter Post with a video clip:
Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:04 pm

13-hundred pilots - SWAPA estimate - is a lot.

Wonder how many picked up voluntary flying on their day off today.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:23 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
As customers, we lose sight of the inconvenience that understaffing causes among airline employees. More than 85% of Southwest flights I have booked in the last 2 years have experienced at least one schedule change. I have been fortunate in not experiencing any serious delays on my mostly intra-California flights.

A family friend was delayed 36 hours due to a jetBlue cancellation last month. Staff reductions helped airlines survive the pandemic, but the snapback this summer is brutal. Airlines have finally started reducing their future schedules to match their actual staff levels.

On the bright side, short staffing last December 31 earned a family and travel companion over $2500 in LUV vouchers for taking a flight arriving 3 hours later. That was an epic win, and a great antidote to sky-high 2022 air fares.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 11:16 pm

Southwest is still mandating corona vaccines for new applicants. It's almost as if that isn't helping the staff shortages...
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by m907
Southwest is still mandating corona vaccines for new applicants. It's almost as if that isn't helping the staff shortages...
I don't agree with selectively enforcing vaccine requirements but with vaccines widely available now and prevelent in the population, this requirement isn't likely to be a significant obstacle for WN as they look for employees.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by jjbiv
I don't agree with selectively enforcing vaccine requirements but with vaccines widely available now and prevelent in the population, this requirement isn't likely to be a significant obstacle for WN as they look for employees.
I'd argue that getting vaccinated is a great proxy for good judgement. As a passenger, I'd happily not take a flight with a pilot who had bad judgement. Do you want an irresponsible person to drive your aircraft?
benfro6 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Uh-oh! Here we go again!
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Uh-oh! Here we go again!
Let the speculation begin!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.