Pre-approved? Are they lying?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2022, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Pre-approved? Are they lying?

I opened the app today and saw this.

Truth?

I don't want to have a hard pull on my credit only to find out it's a gimmick. Anyone else have experience with this? Does everyone's app say this?

I'll have to consider the timing as it relates to the buddy pass, but 75,000 mi is quite a bit! I might pull the trigger if I know I am going to be approved.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
You are "pre-approved". (not approved)

But then you have to "Apply"

And darn sure it will be a hard pull to get "approved"
Old Jun 7, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: LTP, PP
FWIW, logged in or as a "guest" on the app, the same offer says "offer ends July 11", not "pre-approved" in that upper left corner. I already have several WN cards

I highly suspect Chase and other banks routinely monitor our FICO scores and target offers based the score. Curious how they are linked to a RR account though. Do you have other Chase cards?

I think you are highly likely to be approved barring any recent bad disqualifiers but its not guaranteed and of course will be a hard pull.

PS - same circumstances for the same offer on the website, not "pre approved", logged in or not

Last edited by joshua362; Jun 7, 2022 at 8:56 am
Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:22 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Can confirm the website/app for me does not have the 'pre-approved' banner either. My experience with Chase pre-approvals (outside of this -- ie receiving direct mail from them) is that doesn't mean its guaranteed. If the offer page shows a fixed APR rather than a range, people usually find that means Chase will bypass 5/24 rules with you, but you can still be denied for other reasons such as velocity. So tldr it is marketing saying they want you to apply, and may bend some regular Chase rules for you, but its definitely no guarantee you will be approved either.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:59 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
This might be of help: Chase Pre-Qualified/Pre-Approval.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

FIxed APR. I have opened up two credit cards this year. Zero the 18 months prior.

It's looking like my odds are good. Now I just need to figure out the companion pass. I rehab houses so I can spend a lot quickly!

Anything else I should know about this?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:35 pm

Make sure you have the time, energy & circumstances to actually use the benefit once earned. Its a nice shiny brass ring to aim for but if you can't use it, you lose it. A 2% cash card back might be more beneficial (and flexible) for all that spend. Only your habits will know for sure...
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Good point. I've heard companion pass is harder to use than imagined.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pitflyer
... you can still be denied for other reasons such as velocity.
Velocity?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Josh Streeter
I've had it for 6+ years, use is 20+ times a year, only once did we run into a situation where I couldn't initially add my wife to the flight, and a seat eventually opened up the morning of the flight. So the "harder to use than imagined" isn't based on the product, it would be based on your need/want to fly multiple times, and does CP influence you to fly more than you need/want.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:53 pm

Au contraire! Its the easiest to use being last seat available without capacity restrictions,

But if you don't have the inclination to use it, its far less useful. I earned one for 12+ years butt in seat method. The last thing I wanted to do most weekends was climb aboard another plane. Many years I would use it once for a kid, an annual family pilgrimage to Disney or Spring Training. One year I went on a dating tear and used it with 4 separate companions (don't forget about this ability to switch 3 times). Several years, used zero point zero.

Probably great for retirees, the Holy Grail would be a traveling small business owner who has to take an assistant or partner along ?
jmw likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Gotcha. Good info.

So I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this, and then have a full 6 months to earn the companion bonus on Jan 1st.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Gotcha. Good info.

So I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this, and then have a full 6 months to earn the companion bonus on Jan 1st.
WARNING:

When you earn the pass, it is good for the rest of the current year, and all of the next.
AND - all points for CP disappear on Jan 1st. They have to be earned during the SAME calendar year. Does not matter how many on in your account. NOBODY earns the CP on Jan 1st because of that. Some time their spending to hit the bonus in early January to earn it though
Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...FIxed APR. I have opened up two credit cards this year. Zero the 18 months prior.

It's looking like my odds are good. Now I just need to figure out the companion pass. I rehab houses so I can spend a lot quickly!

Anything else I should know about this?
Please tell us that the APR does not mean anything to you. You are not paying interest, right?
m907 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 12:12 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
? No, it is very easy to use... if there is any seat available, the companion can have it for the grand total of $5.60 each way for domestic flights and a little more for those originating outside the US. The companion can change a few times a year if needed. For those who usually travel in pairs the Companion Pass is extremely valuable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.