Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest won't extend flight credit due to use of a previously extended LUV voucher

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest won't extend flight credit due to use of a previously extended LUV voucher

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone, I'm kind of panicking / very frustrated with Southwest right now.

I had a $1600 flight credit that expired yesterday. I called in today to pay the $100 fee and get it converted into a travel voucher, but the customer service rep read off some arcane rule that because part of that $1600 flight credit had a flight voucher involved (some $400 portion of it), the system would not let them extend it.

The flight voucher involved in the travel credit actually originally expires on July 16th. But now based on the customer service rep, I have lost it completely since its tied to this flight credit and the flight credit can't be extended because the voucher is part of it. So I can't extend the flight credit because a voucher was a part of its dollar value, but I can't use the voucher anymore either even though it expires in a month and a half.

I am absolutely not willing to lose a $1,600 flight credit because of this.

I am very disappointed in Southwest right now. The customer service rep asked me to contact customer relations (via Contact Us on the website)to see if they could override this. I would not have ever booked flights on Southwest if I had known I would end up in this situation.

I just shot off a message to them about this, but not sure what else I can do.
Any ideas?

Last edited by idkmybffjill; Jun 2, 2022 at 10:42 am
Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
HUCA?
Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:53 am

HUCA .
Contact Southwest through Twitter.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Jun 2, 2022 at 11:48 am
Old Jun 2, 2022, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by idkmybffjill
Hi everyone, I'm kind of panicking / very frustrated with Southwest right now.

I had a $1600 flight credit that expired yesterday. I called in today to pay the $100 fee and get it converted into a travel voucher, but the customer service rep read off some arcane rule that because part of that $1600 flight credit had a flight voucher involved (some $400 portion of it), the system would not let them extend it.

The flight voucher involved in the travel credit actually originally expires on July 16th. But now based on the customer service rep, I have lost it completely since its tied to this flight credit and the flight credit can't be extended because the voucher is part of it. So I can't extend the flight credit because a voucher was a part of its dollar value, but I can't use the voucher anymore either even though it expires in a month and a half.

I am absolutely not willing to lose a $1,600 flight credit because of this.

I am very disappointed in Southwest right now. The customer service rep asked me to contact customer relations (via Contact Us on the website)to see if they could override this. I would not have ever booked flights on Southwest if I had known I would end up in this situation.

I just shot off a message to them about this, but not sure what else I can do.
Any ideas?
so, Rep. said that ur TF of $1600 can't be extended bc its partial value was from a voucher? their announcement yday for a free extension didn't have any of that verbiage or restriction, correct?

also, as ur TFs expired yday, June 1, shouldn't an extension be free?

Last edited by danhouston; Jun 2, 2022 at 11:26 am
Old Jun 2, 2022, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Not sure if this helps, but....

Travel Credits CAN be extended for 6 months if requested 6/1/22 to 12/31/22
Old Jun 2, 2022, 11:50 am

I'm not clear if the OP has LUV Voucher or a Travel Credit. or some combination.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:12 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I'm not clear if the OP has LUV Voucher or a Travel Credit. or some combination.
I assume it was an expired travel credit partially paid for by LUV voucher. The method of payment should be irrelevant. Southwest will give a free 6 month extension for the full amount.

Retracted. See below.

Last edited by nsx; Jun 2, 2022 at 2:07 pm
Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:15 pm

OP likely combined some voucher cr to travel cr whose earlier expy date was yday..
is there a fine print that TF from converted voucher(s) not considered for extension? if so which my current TFs is from the voucher cr that will expy in early July, i likely need to find out soon if mine can be extended

Last edited by danhouston; Jun 2, 2022 at 12:31 pm
Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
I assume it was an expired travel credit partially paid for by LUV voucher. The method of payment should be irrelevant. Southwest will give a free 6 month extension for the full amount.
Correct, $400 of the travel credit was paid for by LUV voucher (which would have expired on July 16th, but since it was combed into this flight credit, its new expiration became yesterday since it became part of a flight credit). The remaining $1,200 is a regular flight credit. They are claiming that the terms state that anything involving a voucher (since the voucher came from a travel credit 6 month extension already) cannot get anymore of an extension.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danhouston
so, Rep. said that ur TF of $1600 can't be extended bc its partial value was from a voucher? their announcement yday for a free extension didn't have any of that verbiage or restriction, correct?

also, as ur TFs expired yday, June 1, shouldn't an extension be free?
Yes, extension will be free. However, they won't extend it period because $400 of the $1600 travel credit was from a voucher (which originally expires on July 16 and came from a former travel credit that was extended 6 months from back in January).
Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:44 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Correct, $400 of the travel credit was paid for by LUV voucher (which would have expired on July 16th, but since it was combed into this flight credit, its new expiration became yesterday since it became part of a flight credit). The remaining $1,200 is a regular flight credit. They are claiming that the terms state that anything involving a voucher (since the voucher came from a travel credit 6 month extension already) cannot get anymore of an extension.
If the LUV voucher was a second-generation voucher that's a difference. I can't recall any mention here before of commingling a second generation LUV voucher with other funds and then requesting another extension. You are the alpha tester. Good luck!
Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

It is a travel credit that expired yesterday where the funds comrpised of regular travel credits + a voucher.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:57 pm

Yes, extension will be free. However, they won't extend it period because $400 of the $1600 travel credit was from a voucher (which originally expires on July 16 and came from a former travel credit that was extended 6 months from back in January).
LUK what the reply or resolve is from social media folks, Thx
Old Jun 2, 2022, 1:29 pm
jmw

Seems like the rule is if you taint newer funds with old funds that have already been extended, the combined fund cannot be extended just like the combined fund inherits the earliest expiration date. I don't think it matters this is a travel voucher. This could happen with any fund that has already been extended.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmw
Seems like the rule is if you taint newer funds with old funds that have already been extended, the combined fund cannot be extended just like the combined fund inherits the earliest expiration date. I don't think it matters this is a travel voucher. This could happen with any fund that has already been extended.
Yes, correct. However, after numerous inquiries, I was just got an email from Southwest saying that they will issue me a new voucher with the full value minus $100 fee that will expire in the standard 6 months.

I'll take it.
nsx, NoStressHere, Tanic and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.