Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family boarding rules

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2022, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Dean1953
I have a flight in July K.C. to Orlando round trip with my 14 year old son. I used the 2 free early bird check in that come with my Chase card. I bought my son early bird for the return trip. For the outbound, I didn’t, figuring that I could go onboard with early bird, take a seat in the back half , and set my coat on the adjoining seat. If I check my son in at exactly 24 hours, hopefully he gets no worst than B 35-40. If that doesn’t work, I’ll move further back.
If you're snagging a middle rear-of-plane seat for your later-boarding son it's technically frowned upon, but I doubt anybody will blink an eye.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 2:09 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Frowned upon? I think it would be welcomed, one less middle seat equals one more aisle/window for the rest of the boarders.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by AllThePants
If you're snagging a middle rear-of-plane seat for your later-boarding son it's technically frowned upon
No, it's not.
screeton likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Frowned upon? I think it would be welcomed, one less middle seat equals one more aisle/window for the rest of the boarders.
The key qualifier was "technically" -- per the "no seat saving" policy. which it turns out is technically not even a thing!

But So definitely -- if someone wants to save a middle seat, more power to them!

Last edited by AllThePants; May 3, 2022 at 5:31 pm
Old Apr 28, 2022, 3:28 pm

The key qualifier was "technically" -- per the "no seat saving" policy.

But definitely -- if someone wants to save a middle seat, more power to them!
Exactly.

But at the risk of "here we go again", can anyone point to a "no seat saving" policy?
Old Apr 28, 2022, 4:58 pm

The key qualifier was "technically" -- per the "no seat saving" policy.
There is no such thing. Misinformation such as this should be deleted to not mislead forum visitors.
Old May 3, 2022, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by dmbolp
95% of the flights I line up for: "This will be a completely full flight!"

95% of the flights I get on: Not completely full
yep, experienced this yesterday in ATL. The sign at the gate showed 65% full (BTW, I really like this feature) and then you board and the flight attendants keep saying it will be a full flight. Sign was correct. Also had an empty middle seat on my "completely full" BNA/STL flight last week.
m907 likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 9:51 am

Differing goals. FA's want everyone in a seat ASAP and not spinning around the cabin looking for a "better" seat. Customers want comfort. Chicken and the egg... I used to take a look at the boarding screen and do the math. Would love to see a picture of this new sign.
Old May 3, 2022, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Would love to see a picture of this new sign.
Here you go…

joshua362, dmbolp and AllThePants like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
There is no such thing. Misinformation such as this should be deleted to not mislead forum visitors.
I stand corrected!
Old Aug 4, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, National Executive, Alaska MVP
I was on a flight from SJC to LAS last month, my kids are 8 and 9. I didn't board with family boarding but when it was my turn, the agent told me we should have/could have board when they called for family boarding.

Same flight tomorrow. Policy says under 6 but it's still not practical for an 8 and 9 year old to sit alone. I think the age limit need to be up to something like 12 IMO.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by dannieboiz
I was on a flight from SJC to LAS last month, my kids are 8 and 9. I didn't board with family boarding but when it was my turn, the agent told me we should have/could have board when they called for family boarding.

Same flight tomorrow. Policy says under 6 but it's still not practical for an 8 and 9 year old to sit alone. I think the age limit need to be up to something like 12 IMO.
Not that long ago I think the age limit was 4.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, National Executive, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Not that long ago I think the age limit was 4.
This is the one reason why I avoid Southwest when I can. If I'm traveling alone it doesn't matter where I sit as much but it's quite stressful trying to keep a family of 4 together with open seating.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by rontse
Hello, we are booked on the OAK-HNL flight in August, we are two adults and two children (aged 7 and 4).

It says on Southwest website, two adults can board with a child aged 6 or under during family boarding. In our case, would all of us be able to board at family boarding or one of us needs to board separately? Ie. One parent board with both children at family boarding and the other parent board according to his boarding position?

Thanks.
Even if there was "technical" rule about how many adults per child or something else, you could EACH boarding with ONE child. Bingo.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 4:03 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rontse
Hello, we are booked on the OAK-HNL flight in August, we are two adults and two children (aged 7 and 4).

It says on Southwest website, two adults can board with a child aged 6 or under during family boarding. In our case, would all of us be able to board at family boarding or one of us needs to board separately? Ie. One parent board with both children at family boarding and the other parent board according to his boarding position?
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Even if there was "technical" rule about how many adults per child or something else, you could EACH boarding with ONE child. Bingo.
Sure, but the 7 year old is not eligible for Family Boarding, so they're boarding at their assigned positions.
NoStressHere likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.