Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN Announces New Fare - Wanna Get Away Plus

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2022, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
My question is: How is this going to interact with Inventory Management. In other words, are they going to close the regular WGA bucket earlier and force people to choose WGA+ fares (if they want that particular flighty)? The pricing gap will be interesting, but the key will be how inventory management works with this new fare category.
ursine1, FindAWay, benfro6 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 4:10 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
If I understand this correctly, there is still a large advantage to be a-list. Your confirmed boarding on another flight will almost always be a high C boarding number. A-listers can board after all other A's. If you are not A-list, you will be one of the last to board.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Southwest, HHonors, Marriott
I wonder with A List same day confirmed will apply to multiple people on same itinerary. My guess is yes, but can anyone confirm? Once that is confirmed, I would assume adding companion would then be OK.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by RyanS107
I wonder with A List same day confirmed will apply to multiple people on same itinerary. My guess is yes, but can anyone confirm? Once that is confirmed, I would assume adding companion would then be OK.
I would assume no to multiple pax on same itinerary
Old Mar 26, 2022, 1:35 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by dmbolp
I would assume no to multiple pax on same itinerary
I agree. Free standby isn’t currently offered to CP companions let alone non CP.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 12:13 am

The prices are crazy since this announcement. For DAL to RDU, the single flight per day that they offer has limited availability in April for WGA fares. For dates where it's available, it's $300+ for a one way route. The route for DFW to RDU with AA is in the $120-150 range. Why would anyone pay $309 to fly DAL-RDU on 4/27 when they can pay $139 with AA?

WN's recent reliability issues have caused problems for travelers and now they are raising prices? That seems like a really bad business model.
m907 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 1:42 pm

Expect to see less WGA fares available.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by poisson
The prices are crazy since this announcement. For DAL to RDU, the single flight per day that they offer has limited availability in April for WGA fares. For dates where it's available, it's $300+ for a one way route. The route for DFW to RDU with AA is in the $120-150 range. Why would anyone pay $309 to fly DAL-RDU on 4/27 when they can pay $139 with AA?

WN's recent reliability issues have caused problems for travelers and now they are raising prices? That seems like a really bad business model.
On Tuesdays/Wednesdays there are some flights DAL-RDU for $148, which isn't terrible for being outside of a fare sale window right now. It seems like Southwest does pretty well on this route if they don't see the need to lower prices further.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmbolp
If that's the case, you wonder why they continue to manage that fare bucket...maybe it has a relatively-large margin compared to the other 2/3
That's likely the case. Their current $30 buy-up (will probably go higher with EB included) from WGA doesn't have much actual cost to it beyond CC fees and excise tax on that $30 (about $3 total) and any funds that would have breakage if they went to voucher instead of refunded.

Southwest had about 100m passengers last year. Every 1% of passengers who takes it is another $27m in gross profit (not including breakage amounts). They don't need double-digit percentages of passengers to do the buy-up, just a few percent to hit $100m in gross profit.
nsx likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by jjbiv
On Tuesdays/Wednesdays there are some flights DAL-RDU for $148, which isn't terrible for being outside of a fare sale window right now. It seems like Southwest does pretty well on this route if they don't see the need to lower prices further.
I see those but they all have a connecting flight at BWI or ATL. The non-stops are all $300+ which is crazy pricing for this route outside of the holidays and during the week.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
What happens if I mix WGA and WGA+ fares on a single itinerary and cancel? Will I receive two credits under the same confirmation number (one of which is transferable)?

More detail: I am booking a regular WGA fare on the outbound, since I know the exact time I want to fly out to Vegas. My return is going to be more leisurely and I would love to have the flexibility on that date. In case the trip gets cancelled, I know flight funds are associated with my ticket confirmation (record locator) number. What happens then if some of the funds are transferable?
Old Aug 9, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by bryanb
What happens if I mix WGA and WGA+ fares on a single itinerary and cancel? Will I receive two credits under the same confirmation number (one of which is transferable)?
I would just book the trip as two one-ways and save myself the stress. I don't know what would happen in your situation, but there is no downside to booking one-ways flights.
bryanb likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 2:19 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
I currently have some wanna get away flights booked. Am I able to "change" the ticket to wanna get a way plus and then cancel the flights and transfer the credits to a coworker?
Old Jan 23, 2023, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
In the similar vein above, I have four LUV vouchers (about $275) that expire in two months with no trips planned so far. I can buy a $275 WGA+ ticket, pay the ~$35 in taxes with a credit card, cancel the flight, then I have ~$310 in transferrable funds available to use with no expiration date?
Old Jan 23, 2023, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
In the similar vein above, I have four LUV vouchers (about $275) that expire in two months with no trips planned so far. I can buy a $275 WGA+ ticket, pay the ~$35 in taxes with a credit card, cancel the flight, then I have ~$310 in transferrable funds available to use with no expiration date?
Yes.
pseudoswede likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.